Schottenheimer Fired...

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 08:06 PM)
I thought they said they were going to keep him?

Yeah, that was the original gameplan, nothing on ESPN.com as of a few minutes ago, heard it on the national update.

Maybe they were doing it to keep the cordinators around for another year, but once they went away it might have been hard for Marty to get quality replacements as a lame duck, so the team scapped the plans and went in a new direction.

What a joke. If you wanted to get rid of him you should have done it earlier when you could have retained Cam Cameron to be your head coach.

That said I can see the logic of making the move now, they lost both coordinators so if they were going to make a coaching move now would be as good a time as ever since regardless of whether Marty is the head coach or someone else is your going to need to bring in almost an entire coaching staff (and the best way to do that is to bring in a head coach now and let him bring in his guys) since they screwed in the first place.

I would imagine they would go after Norv Turner or a college coach, not sure who else is really out there. I guess Ron Rivera will be mentioned, but the Chargers should be an elite AFC team next year, and Rivera runs the 4-3 and I believe the Chargers are a 3-4 team. I imagine they wouldn't want to have a complete scheme change at this point.

Wonder what Wade Phillips is feeling right now.

Apparently Pete Carroll is a candidate. He'd want total control though, which means goodbye A.J Smith.

Today's news is good for the Cowbosy as well since we want the Chargers LB Coach as our new defensive co-ordinator, otherwise it's Todd Bowles's job.

As for other candidates, maybe a Dan Reeves (who uses the 3-4), or a coach that uses that defence, otherwise the likes of Merriman wouldn't be as good. Or maybe a Mike Singletary, or a Norv Turner perhaps?

But as for this whole situation, the Chargers really didn't handle it well. They've lost 3 of their major coaches, and they could of kept 2 if they played their cards right.

The timing of this is extremely odd...why wait so long to fire him? I understand he had a disagreement w/the GM, but the off-season is going to start ramping up soon. You have to think they already have something in place, which screams Pete Carroll.

It's a bit out there, yes but consider the facts:

1) It's now after national signing day for football, therefore he'd be leaving SC in less of a lurch if he left before.

2) Sarksian (sp?) already turned down the Raiders and Kiffin took the job. Could this be because Pete had told Sark he'd be leaving soon and he'd be the successor? If so, makes sense that Kiffin would leave because he more than likely would not want to work under Sark.

3) As much as the NCAA pushes this stuff under the rug, SC has potential violations that could cost them scholarships and maybe even bowl games. Although unlikely, it certainly is a possibility.

4) The Chargers lost all their coordinators anyways, so Pete would be able to build from the group up with his people.

Granted, this is all conspiracy theory-ish but the timing of it all makes this very odd. The only big obstacle I see is that Carroll wants total control of a team, and it's doutbful the Chargers would hand the power over from Smith to Carroll. Smith has a good track record and arguably has assembled the team with the best talent in all the NFL.

ON Mike and Mike this morning, Golic was saying that the Chargers shouldn't hire an assistant head coach, like Jim Caldwell of the Colts, a coordinator, like Rivera or even a college coach because this team was 14-2 last year and like Fotop said, has probably the best talent in all of football.

They need someone with experience, a "retread." Someone who can come in and basically say, "Alright, you had success last year, we aren't going to change much." I don't think Pete Carroll wants to be back in the NFL anyways, even though he would be a retread.

Maybe someone like a Jim Mora, Jr.? Probably too young. Golic was saying a possibility could be June Jones. He and the Chargers owner have a good relationship, his def. coordinator is Jerry Glanville, who runs the 3-4 and June is an offensive minded coach. Might not be a bad fit.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 09:02 AM)
Maybe someone like a Jim Mora, Jr.? Probably too young. Golic was saying a possibility could be June Jones. He and the Chargers owner have a good relationship, his def. coordinator is Jerry Glanville, who runs the 3-4 and June is an offensive minded coach. Might not be a bad fit.

JMJr. already has himself a job with the Seahawks where he's probably set up as the heir apparent to Mike Holmgren. I have to figure there was some sort of nudge nudge "don't interview with other people" sort of deal set up there when he signed it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
Yeah, the coach gives you your best record ever, and he needs to go. This is why some franchises just dont win.

No s***. I don't know how much pressure AJ Smith is under, but it's got to be 10x as much now. He won the battle, but now he has to win the war.

while this move has made everybody scratch their heads, the only logic that I could see behind it is that they already lost both coordinators so they might as well just revamp the whole coaching staff.

thats the only logic i can see, i dont necessarily agree with the move.....

QUOTE(HeGone83 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 12:08 PM)
while this move has made everybody scratch their heads, the only logic that I could see behind it is that they already lost both coordinators so they might as well just revamp the whole coaching staff.

thats the only logic i can see, i dont necessarily agree with the move.....

can we take Gates off their hands?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 10:12 PM)
Today's news is good for the Cowbosy as well since we want the Chargers LB Coach as our new defensive co-ordinator, otherwise it's Todd Bowles's job.

?????

The 49ers already hired the Chargers LB Coach as their new D Coordinator about 2 weeks ago.

Link

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The San Francisco 49ers hired San Diego linebackers coach Greg Manusky as their defensive coordinator Thursday.

Manusky, who played 12 seasons in the NFL, spent the last five years on the Chargers' staff, where he worked on one of the league's top defenses. He spent the previous season with Washington before following coach Marty Schottenheimer to San Diego, where they ran a 3-4 defense similar to the scheme favored by 49ers coach Mike Nolan.

QUOTE(OfficerKarkovice @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)
?????

The 49ers already hired the Chargers LB Coach as their new D Coordinator about 2 weeks ago.

Link

It must be someone else I'm thinking of, the DL coach perhaps?

I know Phillips wanted Manusky pretty bad originally though.

And as for a veteran coach, Jimmy Johnson's name got thrown out by the Czar on FoxSports.