Fifth Starter Field Narrows

Heads22

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
Its seemed like he is being rushed, but the guy is clearly the best young arm in the system and has gone out and taken that 5th spot. If Danks ends up as the 5th starter, that trade has to look pretty freakin good at this point.

I definitely agree with the fact that McCarthy trade is looking good. However, just as you said it seems Danks is being rushed, doesn't it also feel like Floyd is being rushed? After his season last year, we seemed to just throw him right into the 5th starter race. Oh well....I just hope that Danks wins the role, and it's not handed to Floyd.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
I definitely agree with the fact that McCarthy trade is looking good. However, just as you said it seems Danks is being rushed, doesn't it also feel like Floyd is being rushed? After his season last year, we seemed to just throw him right into the 5th starter race. Oh well....I just hope that Danks wins the role, and it's not handed to Floyd.

Thats what makes me feel comfortable is that I see with my eyes that Danks decided to go out and take the roster spot. I liked him from the first interview and the guy has been nothing short of impressive. If you have a top prospect who is 21 years old, go out and take a spot on the big league roster, it should impress the hell out of everyone.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)

Thats why I have no problem getting a guy like Lieber or Pavano if we are giving up a few scrub prospects to get them and just eating a bit of money. Those type of guys would buy the Sox a little bit more time so that we can better prepare Danks/Floyd for the majors.

And no, unlike Flash, I don't consider that a move that gets us another starter an indication that Floyd or Danks are failures, rather I see it as just being a way to buy a little more time and potentially open up the possibilities of moving someone like Buehrle for value if it does become evident he is for sure gone.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
if danks deserves it i say give him a shot! I'm am part of the denks bandwagon!

if [any pitcher on the roster] deserves it i say give him a shot! I am part of the [any pitcher on the roster slightly misspelled] bandwagon!

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
if [any pitcher on the roster] deserves it i say give him a shot! I am part of the [any pitcher on the roster slightly misspelled] bandwagon!

Oh wite. This is why I deeply respect you.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
Agreed...it seems Danks has a much better mental make-up than Floyd. After seeing each of them interviewed, just based on the way they responded to questions and such, Floyd seemed very uncomfortable. His demeanor didn't scream "confidence", while Danks certainly has that edge.

I just find it odd that this whole article fails to mention Floyd's spring #'s. From what I've seen, he hasn't been doing well. His "annointment" took place as soon as that trade went down, it's his spot to lose and I honestly can't believe he hasn't already lost it.

Well, if Danks gets lit up Tues. and Floyd throws well, who's to say the two can't swap spots. IMO, it's still way to early to say who is the #5 SP. And the sox should publicly give everyone encouragement, esp those who will pitch in AAA to start the yr. The sox may need a few of those arms this year--hopefully not many though.

The battle for the 5th spot should go down to the last week.

I really wish we could start the season with Haeger in that 5th spot, I really think he's the most prepared for the big leagues (in part because it doesn't really take as much preparation).

Danks and Floyd are both talented and might both be good major leaguers, but I think at least part of a season in AAA would do wonders for both of them, particularly Danks. For now, Danks appears to be our future but Haeger is probably a better stopgap than even Pavano or Lieber, if you ask me. Which you didn't.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 07:30 AM)
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Floyd was hitting 96 on fastball yesterday. Right now my thought is that he could have been overpitching, causing him to lose control.

The answer to Floyd seems pretty obvious by reading just a little bit about what others had to say about him, and reading his quotes in the paper. The kid has zero confidence, and is too busy thinking instead of pitching. They need to do like they did to Contreras and empty his head, and focus on throwing the sign. That's it, nothing more. This kid is worrying about who he faces, what others think of his pitches, etc, and he is self-admitedly confused. The problems are all in his head.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 06:40 AM)
The answer to Floyd seems pretty obvious by reading just a little bit about what others had to say about him, and reading his quotes in the paper. The kid has zero confidence, and is too busy thinking instead of pitching. They need to do like they did to Contreras and empty his head, and focus on throwing the sign. That's it, nothing more. This kid is worrying about who he faces, what others think of his pitches, etc, and he is self-admitedly confused. The problems are all in his head.

Contreras has three times the stuff Floyd does. And Contreras being "solved" was a lot different. First: he was never as bad as Gavin Floyd. Second: his problems were sometimes mechanical, sometimes worryful over his family in Cuba, moreso than lacking confidence, playing "scared" or thinking too far ahead.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Contreras has three times the stuff Floyd does. And Contreras being "solved" was a lot different. First: he was never as bad as Gavin Floyd. Second: his problems were sometimes mechanical, sometimes worryful over his family in Cuba, moreso than lacking confidence, playing "scared" or thinking too far ahead.

Contreras was pretty awful when we got him. His confidence was shot, and all he wanted to do was throw the splitter for every pitch. He also had mechanical issues dealing with his not picking an arm slot and working with it.

Its easy to pick apart a comparision them with Contreras as a finished product, and Floyd still in progress, but there are plenty of similarities there. And don't forget with Contreras he had 13 starts in 2004 with the Sox in which he still didnt do too much positive. It wasn't until after those starts, plus a spring, plus some rough April outings that he started to get "it". Floyd might well not get it for another year or two.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 08:23 AM)
Its easy to pick apart a comparision them with Contreras as a finished product, and Floyd still in progress, but there are plenty of similarities there. And don't forget with Contreras he had 13 starts in 2004 with the Sox in which he still didnt do too much positive. It wasn't until after those starts, plus a spring, plus some rough April outings that he started to get "it". Floyd might well not get it for another year or two.

I'm not sure at all that I believe those gun readings...but if he still has a 95-96 mph fastball somewhere in his arm, as opposed to the 91 I was expecting...then there's still something salvageable there. Even if it just winds up being a bullpen pitcher...you come in with a 95 mph fastball and a good curve for an inning, throw strikes, and you're a closer.

im hoping danks gets the fifth starter spot and we work on floyd in AAA and it looks like floyds no longer the favriote. i was expecting all kinds of quotes from KW and ozzie justifying the poor start by floyd yesterday.... not the case, only quote ive read was from ozzie:

"we're going to take whoever throws the ball the best this spring."

sweet.