Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres no such thing as an end all be all in music. Not everyone likes everyone. People hate Nirvana, People hate The Beatles, Bob Dylan etc.

Music is too subjective to ever have a end all be all...

he did say 'if'

I like how we are jumping all over duke for stating that nirvana isn't that likeable to people our age and that U2 is currently awful. these are two pretty standard opinions.

moving on.

Let me guess, it's the Hold Steady, right?

If there is, I'm going to just go the generic route and lie down the usual Elvis Costello, Clash, Radiohead, Beatles or Pixies. Gang of Four maybe.

Nirvana isn't a bad band the same way Pearl Jam isn't a bad band, but I'll still take the Cocteau Twins or the Pixies before any 90's grunge band.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
he did say 'if'

I like how we are jumping all over duke for stating that nirvana isn't that likeable to people our age and that U2 is currently awful. these are two pretty standard opinions.

moving on.

You have to realize that at that time there was no internet, no itunes, no myspace, no youtube or anything. Independent music was a whole lot harder to find back then. You had the radio and MTV. Nirvana pretty much single handedly saved popular rock music from the hair metal bands. You guys may not like them, but you have plenty to thank them for.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 07:30 AM)
You have to realize that at that time there was no internet, no itunes, no myspace, no youtube or anything. Independent music was a whole lot harder to find back then. You had the radio and MTV. Nirvana pretty much single handedly saved popular rock music from the hair metal bands. You guys may not like them, but you have plenty to thank them for.

I know this has become the accepted theory, but I do not subscribe to it.

The way I see it, the s***ty hair bands created the need for a Nirvana (or someone like them) to come along. The hair scene was becoming more and more horrible, and there was a real sense of disgust among the people I knew who loved heavy metal that hair metal was being seen as passing for heavy metal.

When you had s***ty bands like Mr. Big, Firehouse, and f***ing Nelson passing for metal, it was only a matter of time until something different - anything different - was going to come along and grab the attention of the mall-shopping music fans. The real fans of metal had ditched those bands, or never got into them in the first place, so all that was left was to take away the MTV kids.

Nirvana had just recorded a glossy, poppy album and the time was right. It was "rock enough" to appeal to fans of heavier rock, but not so heavy as to scare the "casual fan" away. Cobain claimed to hate the production of that album, and basically said that Nevermind wasn't a true reflection of Nirvana's music.

Give them credit for being in the right place at the right time, but they didn't kill hair metal. If anything, it was assisted suicide.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
I know this has become the accepted theory, but I do not subscribe to it.

The way I see it, the s***ty hair bands created the need for a Nirvana (or someone like them) to come along. The hair scene was becoming more and more horrible, and there was a real sense of disgust among the people I knew who loved heavy metal that hair metal was being seen as passing for heavy metal.

When you had s***ty bands like Mr. Big, Firehouse, and f***ing Nelson passing for metal, it was only a matter of time until something different - anything different - was going to come along and grab the attention of the mall-shopping music fans. The real fans of metal had ditched those bands, or never got into them in the first place, so all that was left was to take away the MTV kids.

Nirvana had just recorded a glossy, poppy album and the time was right. It was "rock enough" to appeal to fans of heavier rock, but not so heavy as to scare the "casual fan" away. Cobain claimed to hate the production of that album, and basically said that Nevermind wasn't a true reflection of Nirvana's music.

Give them credit for being in the right place at the right time, but they didn't kill hair metal. If anything, it was assisted suicide.

Sure, but you're arguing two sides of the same coin. Without something. . . anything better than the hair band drek, that's what the labels would have kept signing and ramming down people's throats for as long as they could have gotten away with it.

The Beach Boys could have put it on autopilot and mailed it in for several more years if the Beatles hadn't come along when they did and give pop music an alternative.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)
Sure, but you're arguing two sides of the same coin. Without something. . . anything better than the hair band drek, that's what the labels would have kept signing and ramming down people's throats for as long as they could have gotten away with it.

The Beach Boys could have put it on autopilot and mailed it in for several more years if the Beatles hadn't come along when they did and give pop music an alternative.

Exactly, anyway, I didn't say they killed hair metal, there are people out there still doing it because there are people who will still buy it. They did turn the tide of what was popular rock at the time and for the better, in my opinion.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)

No, I'm saying that if Nirvana hadn't come along, someone else would have "killed hair metal".

That crap had run its course, so Nirvana didn't kill it, Nirvana was just the next band people took to.

There are still bands out there playing that hair metal drivel for 50 people in barns and "spectaculars" like Rocklahoma, but I'm talking about mainstream acceptance.

That s*** was so awful and played out that it was bound to fade away, it was just a matter of who got latched onto next.