Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
Pearl Jam is doing a "fanclub only" show at The Vic. My neighbor, who is the biggest PJ freak I have ever known, is beside himself with glee. It's sho hard to show excitement about stuff like that.

Really? That's nice of them. Wonder how much tix are? I have a buddy back who loves them too.

Like a million other bands, I liked PJ's first two albums, then........

QUOTE(Cali @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 08:40 PM)
Listening to a little De-Loused in the Comatorium, soooooooo good.

I wish Mars Volta would go back to writing song again.

If someone remastered the last two albums and edited out all the jam session, avant garde BS, they would be a 1000x better. I really dont listen to you guys for the static and feedback portions of your songs...

I remember hearing that they would prefer to get rid of songs all together and just basically jam all the time including concerts and s***. Lame.

AMEN. I've always said there are about 45 minutes of great music in every Volta record. Unfortunately you have to suffer through all the other crap to find it.

God forbid they lose their 'indie cred' by writing solid, three and a half minute songs.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 12:56 AM)
Really? That's nice of them. Wonder how much tix are? I have a buddy back who loves them too.

Like a million other bands, I liked PJ's first two albums, then........

Tix were only sold in pairs - 150 bucks per pair plus fees. Kinda steep, but not too out of line considering the prices these days.

Available only to current Ten Club members, who will be ID'd when they pick up the tickets.

Yup, I said pick up the tickets - tickets will only be distributed at the Vic ticket window on the day of the show in an attempt to prevent (or at least limit) scalping.

But, as with all things like this, tickets sold out in no time and were actually on eBay and Craigs List before they even went on sale, for up to $1,000. My buddy didn't get tickets. We'll see what happens with the whole "pick-up at the Vic" thing. I would guess if you are an actual member you should head on over to the Vic and claim the un-claimed tickets.

I loved 10 when it came out. Have hated everything since then. I was a HUGE Mother Love Bone fan, saw them open for Dogs D'Amour when they played Chicago (bigger Dogs fan) and hung with both bands all night. Got the original "Alive" promo-only single at the record release party for Mind Funk. I guess it's pretty darn rare.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 09:48 AM)
But, as with all things like this, tickets sold out in no time and were actually on eBay and Craigs List before they even went on sale, for up to $1,000. My buddy didn't get tickets. We'll see what happens with the whole "pick-up at the Vic" thing. I would guess if you are an actual member you should head on over to the Vic and claim the un-claimed tickets.

I loved 10 when it came out. Have hated everything since then. I was a HUGE Mother Love Bone fan, saw them open for Dogs D'Amour when they played Chicago (bigger Dogs fan) and hung with both bands all night. Got the original "Alive" promo-only single at the record release party for Mind Funk. I guess it's pretty darn rare.

You REALLY SHOULD offer up the Alive promo single as trade on Craigslist for a pair of PJ Vic tickets and then give the tickets to my wife.

...it's what any REAL friend would do...

:lolhitting

QUOTE(shipps @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 06:23 PM)
Is anyone feeling the Editors?That new album is not coming out of my cd player anytime soon.Also on the R&B note the new Tank album is great, especially for those that are into r&b from the early 90's.

Not feeling it one bit. That pseudo 80s vibe is all played out (it was played out in 1985). No thanks.

I am one of the few that though PJ matured with age I guess. With the exception of Riot Act(no thanks to political rock, kthx), I've enjoyed every release from PJ. I REALLY liked Binaural. Last time I saw PJ was the Yield tour, still sounded just right to me in concert.

As for Interpol, I can understand the 'really like them or really hate them' aspect, its a monotonous voice(did I spell that right? no idea), but I enjoy hearing it. I've only listened to the new CD a few times, but parts of it are growing on me.

Me being the huge Cornell fan I am, I'm still wearing "Carry On" out daily.

I've grown to grudgingly respect Pearl Jam. I just felt that Eddie Vedder was so grating and the perceived '"social importance" of Jeremy in my high school really got on my nerves. Couple that with Vedder's poor man's Neil Young impression was getting super annoying.

However, since No Code, I've started to respect them actually. Something that kind of scared me. Almost as much as when I discovered I actually liked Hole's Celebrity Skin album.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 12:49 PM)
I've grown to grudgingly respect Pearl Jam. I just felt that Eddie Vedder was so grating and the perceived '"social importance" of Jeremy in my high school really got on my nerves. Couple that with Vedder's poor man's Neil Young impression was getting super annoying.

However, since No Code, I've started to respect them actually. Something that kind of scared me. Almost as much as when I discovered I actually liked Hole's Celebrity Skin album.

Oh god Rex...I thought I was the only one that liked Celebrity Skin...

I loved "10", but now I realize that it was a product of Andrew Wood more than Pearl Jam. Stone and Jeff are just experts at taking their vocalists vision and making them work, which is what Green River, MLB and Pearl Jam have all been. The music and feel of "10" was Mother Love Bone, it was the work and direction of Andrew Wood. This is why that album is so drastically different than anything that followed it. It was just an album written for a MUCH different band than what Pearl Jam was at heart.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
Automatic Music Explosion, my best band of 2007 so far, playing MONDAY night in LA. Angelenos, you should come.

they are so good it's f-ing scary.

Why are all their shows free?

For a new band with only an EP, they sure are getting a lot of hype.

I've never seen them live, but based on what I've heard, I kinda like them. At least the music has balls.

Just got my hands on the new Ministry.

It's called The Last Sucker, and it's the final piece of Jourgensen's Bush-bashing trilogy.

I really like the disc, and the Bush bashing is a little less in-your-face than the last two discs.

Good stuff.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)
Just got my hands on the new Ministry.

It's called The Last Sucker, and it's the final piece of Jourgensen's Bush-bashing trilogy.

I really like the disc, and the Bush bashing is a little less in-your-face than the last two discs.

Good stuff.

I thought they were done like 10 years ago. wow.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
Nope, they're still alive and kickin', and actually kickin' pretty hard on this new one.

But they've always "kicked pretty hard". I have no time for them though. I saw them back in '86 and Jourghensen (sic) was such a raging dickhead I chose to never give them a second chance. Best part of it was the idiot, after pissing off the audience for 3+ hours, decided to do a stage dive. Right into the middle of a pack of skinheads. Like I said, this was 1986...in Chicago. It took the better part of 5 minutes to get his worthless butt out of the audience. When they finally did he was slightly bloodied. :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
But they've always "kicked pretty hard". I have no time for them though. I saw them back in '86 and Jourghensen (sic) was such a raging dickhead I chose to never give them a second chance. Best part of it was the idiot, after pissing off the audience for 3+ hours, decided to do a stage dive. Right into the middle of a pack of skinheads. Like I said, this was 1986...in Chicago. It took the better part of 5 minutes to get his worthless butt out of the audience. When they finally did he was slightly bloodied. :D

I think the name of the bar was 'Delilah's' and they had punk rock Thursdays. One night I saw Jourghensen walk into that bar carrying one of those Dr.'s medicine bags and headed straight to a back room.

I wonder what he was up to.