Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 12:55 AM)
I'd say 4, not 5. Heart Songs (track 4) is probably my favorite on the album, but Everybody Get Dangerous (track 5) is just repetitive and not that catchy anyway.

Heart songs is easily my favorite song on that album, but the 3 that come before that are really good too

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SnB @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
Heart songs is easily my favorite song on that album, but the 3 that come before that are really good too

Agreed. And as to the Counting Crows, I love their stuff, but I heard they're awful in concert. That said, I'm still thinking about seeing them in August.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
The new Alkaline Trio album is quite good. Steaming in its entirety on their myspace

Steaming is a compliment? Does that mean I got all bent out of shape for no reason when some guy called me a steaming pile?

:D

Just got home from the Tom Petty show.

Steve Winwood bores the s*** outta me. No denying his talent, and his band are great musicians, but I just find him horribly dull.

The Heartbreakers started strong, had a nice pace going, good song selection, good energy, then they brought Winwood out for a couple MORE of his songs. Traffic and Spencer Davis Group songs are not what I want when Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are on stage.

That really derailed things for me. Then they played a few obscure songs and dragged them out much longer than they should have gone IMO.

They didn't seem to catch their stride again until the end of the set.

THEN they play their encores - they start with Runnin' Down A Dream, then play a cover of "Gloria". Extremely disappointing to me for them to play a cover when they have such a huge catalog of great songs still unplayed. American Girl ended the show in style.

Overall I have to say I was disappointed. Musically they were great, but the song selection left a lot to be desired.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 11:47 PM)
Just got home from the Tom Petty show.

Steve Winwood bores the s*** outta me. No denying his talent, and his band are great musicians, but I just find him horribly dull.

The Heartbreakers started strong, had a nice pace going, good song selection, good energy, then they brought Winwood out for a couple MORE of his songs. Traffic and Spencer Davis Group songs are not what I want when Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are on stage.

That really derailed things for me. Then they played a few obscure songs and dragged them out much longer than they should have gone IMO.

They didn't seem to catch their stride again until the end of the set.

THEN they play their encores - they start with Runnin' Down A Dream, then play a cover of "Gloria". Extremely disappointing to me for them to play a cover when they have such a huge catalog of great songs still unplayed. American Girl ended the show in style.

Overall I have to say I was disappointed. Musically they were great, but the song selection left a lot to be desired.

WHAAAAAT? You mean Petty didn't do his usual 'greatest hits' show?

By the way, I like Petty, but his live show has been the same for 20 years. Each tour he just adds the hit from his latest record.

I'm a big vintage Windwood fan (SDG, Traffic, Blind Faith, and maybe the first three solo albums), but I agree, and I've found everything he's done from Roll With It on to be pretty lifeless, including the Traffic reunion stuff.

Haven't seen Petty live since the late 80s, and he was great then.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
WHAAAAAT? You mean Petty didn't do his usual 'greatest hits' show?

By the way, I like Petty, but his live show has been the same for 20 years. Each tour he just adds the hit from his latest record.

I would have loved a "greatest hits" show.

Call me crazy, but I'd have liked to hear the songs that made me like Petty enough to drop 55 bucks on a 300-level seat to his show.

I hadn't seen him since 1990, so "deep cuts" were not on my radar.

^^^ I was up in the 300's too. I loved it just because tom petty could yodel up there and id love it. I thought winwood was boring too, i didnt know that he had turned into a jam band playing fifteen minute songs, but bring me a higher love was good and tell me that gimme some lovin wasnt awesome. Also what other songs from petty did you want there were some lesser known ones i wanted to hear but the only major song i was dissapointed not to hear was The Waiting.

i wrote down the setlist if anyone is interested.

You wreck me

Listen to her heart

I wont back down

Even the losers

Free fallin

Mary janes last dance

sweet willy

end of the line (great travelling wilburys song)

Cant find my way home sung with winwood

Gimme some lovin wit Winwood

Saving Grace

Honey Bee

face in the crowd

you dont know how it feels

learning to fly

dont come around here no more

refugee

ENCORE

running down a dream

Gloria

American Girl

O and hey you werent the guy three rows in front of me blowin chronic at all the "narcs" were you?

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 08:53 AM)
You wreck me

Listen to her heart

I wont back down

Even the losers

Free fallin

Mary janes last dance

sweet willy

Saving Grace

Honey Bee

face in the crowd

learning to fly

refugee

ENCORE

running down a dream

Gloria

American Girl

Um, pretty much looks like a Greatest Hits to me... don't know what the complaining was about.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
^^^ I was up in the 300's too. I loved it just because tom petty could yodel up there and id love it. I thought winwood was boring too, i didnt know that he had turned into a jam band playing fifteen minute songs, but bring me a higher love was good and tell me that gimme some lovin wasnt awesome. Also what other songs from petty did you want there were some lesser known ones i wanted to hear but the only major song i was dissapointed not to hear was The Waiting.

i wrote down the setlist if anyone is interested.

You wreck me

Listen to her heart

I wont back down

Even the losers

Free fallin

Mary janes last dance

sweet willy

Saving Grace

Honey Bee

face in the crowd

learning to fly

refugee

ENCORE

running down a dream

Gloria

American Girl

O and hey you werent the guy three rows in front of me blowin chronic at all the "narcs" were you?

No, I was in row 3 getting beer dumped on me twice during the first song by some wobbly drunk-ass f***head.

And no, I didn't find Gimme Some Lovin' entertaining at all. I've never liked that song, and I really didn't want to hear Steve Winwood and the Heartbreakers.

Some songs I'd have rather heard, just off the top of my head:

The Waiting

I Need To Know

Here Comes My Girl

You Got Lucky

OH, and no Breakdown? That was the song that got me into them in the first place along with American Girl.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 08:20 AM)
No, I was in row 3 getting beer dumped on me twice during the first song by some wobbly drunk-ass f***head.

And no, I didn't find Gimme Some Lovin' entertaining at all. I've never liked that song, and I really didn't want to hear Steve Winwood and the Heartbreakers.

Some songs I'd have rather heard, just off the top of my head:

The Waiting

I Need To Know

Here Comes My Girl

You Got Lucky

OH, and no Breakdown? That was the song that got me into them in the first place along with American Girl.

Touche i forgot about breakdown it is also one of my favorites as well as i need to know here comes my girl and you got lucky but he cant play everthing hes well known for i thought he did a good job of picking songs. Also, i think you have a personal issue with mr. winwood....point on the doll where he touched you son. :fight

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
Touche i forgot about breakdown it is also one of my favorites as well as i need to know here comes my girl and you got lucky but he cant play everthing hes well known for i thought he did a good job of picking songs. Also, i think you have a personal issue with mr. winwood....point on the doll where he touched you son. :fight

:lolhitting

:lol:

No, the only thing I have against Winwood is that he's never recorded a song I like.

I guess the only real disappointment I had with Petty's set was the sequence of the songs. There were just too many songs in a row that I didn't have much interest in. It probably would have been more palatable if the songs I liked were sprinkled in between the ones I didn't. As it played out, it was 1/3 I liked, then 1/3 I didn't, then 1/3 I did. So 2/3 good is more than okay in the big picture.

Although I am AGAINST any artist playing a cover song in an encore unless that cover song is what you're most famous for.

(example would have been Quiet Riot playing Cum On Feel The Noize as an encore).

Petty has enough great tunes to avoid Gloria as an encore.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
:lolhitting

:lol:

No, the only thing I have against Winwood is that he's never recorded a song I like.

I guess the only real disappointment I had with Petty's set was the sequence of the songs. There were just too many songs in a row that I didn't have much interest in. It probably would have been more palatable if the songs I liked were sprinkled in between the ones I didn't. As it played out, it was 1/3 I liked, then 1/3 I didn't, then 1/3 I did. So 2/3 good is more than okay in the big picture.

Although I am AGAINST any artist playing a cover song in an encore unless that cover song is what you're most famous for.

(example would have been Quiet Riot playing Cum On Feel The Noize as an encore).

Petty has enough great tunes to avoid Gloria as an encore.

I agree the pacing wasnt the best as the middle was a little slow, but i thought that even tho tom isnt known for the goria cover it is a great song and he made it his own and really got the crowd involved. Of course there are other songs such as the ones you mentioned that woulda been great for the encore.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 07:35 AM)
I would have loved a "greatest hits" show.

Call me crazy, but I'd have liked to hear the songs that made me like Petty enough to drop 55 bucks on a 300-level seat to his show.

I hadn't seen him since 1990, so "deep cuts" were not on my radar.

Yeah 55 bucks for a 300-level seat is too much loot for anyone. Arena shows blow.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
Yeah 55 bucks for a 300-level seat is too much loot for anyone. Arena shows blow.

The Police/Elvis Costello show I saw in May was a glaring exception to that general rule. I was just about as high up as you can get and the show was still one of the 10 best I have ever seen.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
The Police/Elvis Costello show I saw in May was a glaring exception to that general rule. and the show was still one of the 10 best I have ever seen.

"....I was just about as high up as you can get...." maybe that helped. ;)

Seriously though, I believe that. I'm trying to think of one and come up empty.

Damn, I'll be seeing Petty tomorrow at summer fest, really don't wanna have him with Winwood for two songs. Steve can play Mr. Fantasy and get off for all I care. I wish I could hear Straight Into Darkness, by far one of my favorite Petty songs.