McCarthy Watch

caulfield12

Sidney has already given up 5 runs in 2 IP, although Jason Kubel looked like the worst LF in baseball on a ball from Posada that should have been caught, instead of a 2 run ground-rule double.

Abreu hit a 2 run bomb in the 2nd.

Of course, with Pavano out there, you can never count the Twins out.

And Ponson's short leash leads right to Matt Garza or Slowey in AAA...at least the rotation is not steamrolling anyone, a good sign for the Sox. It will be interesting to see if Ortiz can keep it up, and for how long.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
First the Tigers and now the Twins. Turning into a good day in the AL Central.

They have Stewart catching McCarthy.

Brandon is throwing 89-92. They mentioned his curveball won't move as well in Texas and that he needs to find a way to get a little movement on his fastball. Same concern KW had with him.

Mentioned that he wasn't very good holding runners.

Iwamora looks really good for the D-Rays. Sox nemesis Delmon Young ripped a double to LF. Have to say that Cruz and Catalanotto don't comprise a very good defensive corner OF, and Chris Stewart just threw the ball into CF on a SB attempt. Struck out Dukes so now there's one out, runner on 3rd.

Edited by caulfield12

I laugh at everyone who thought Ponson would be good, yes his spring was alright but the guy is still overweight and will never come close to his past success. He gets shelled way too many times.

Mccarthy did well today, good to see he got a win, hope he pitches well for Rangers.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
I laugh at everyone who thought Ponson would be good, yes his spring was alright but the guy is still overweight and will never come close to his past success. He gets shelled way too many times.

Mccarthy did well today, good to see he got a win, hope he pitches well for Rangers.

I vaguely remember this Marshall kid from last year.

Strange, we had two kids in Marshall and Castro that were close to major league ready and neither of them ever made it into the hunt for the LHR spot in ST last year. Just shows you that baseball is all about scouting, at all levels.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)

Strange, we had two kids in Marshall and Castro that were close to major league ready and neither of them ever made it into the hunt for the LHR spot in ST last year. Just shows you that baseball is all about scouting, at all levels.

Not to mention the lefty that was traded for Riske that is the Red Sox set-up man.

the defense was horrible behind Ponson last night. Kubel miss played a ball early in the game that lead to runs, and the ump squeezed the strike zone on him so he basically had to throw it over the plate to get a strike call

Im not saying he was Johan-like, but pitched better than the 8 runs he gave up

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
Not to mention the lefty that was traded for Riske that is the Red Sox set-up man.

yeah but he has bounced around the league quite a bit. He was just a minor league free agent, non-roster invitee who had no room on the Sox at all.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 09:42 PM)

I don't know if a guy that was as old as Marhsall could be considered major league ready (considering he was kicking butt down in A ball last year). However, he has a gimmick motion and looks to throw strikes and get movement so there is a solid bet he turns into a decent loogy (of course I'm not a big fan of guys that project to pretty much only get lefties out).

Any idiot could see BMac wasn't good last year. He was horrid last year and is going to continue to be horrid unless he can get a fastball that moves and more consistent control with his offspeed stuff. That said he should get better, he is still young. Of course going from a mediocre hitters' park to a big time hitters' park isn't going to help any.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)
According to my Rangers friend, Matt Kata played 3B today and was a butcher and screwed B-Mac over in the 2nd inning, although he wasnt credited with errors.

BMac still gave up 3 HRs in 2 innings. Can't blame the defense for that.

I dont even understand why we are still following BMAC. We clearly came out on top of that trade. IN fact I think Masset is going to be a better player than BMAC, add on the fact that Danks is unreal for a player of his age and dev and im glad BMAC is gone.

I've always felt that way. Always said that I didn't think he was long for success in the AL. He was terribly overrated and that grinded my gears; and then there's the fact that from all I've heard from people who've met him around town and other sources, he's Mark Prior without the stuff or the injuries.

Add in that we hosed the Rangers, one of my least favorite franchises, and I'm happy with it all.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
OK, I'm curious... why was McCarthy so good at the end of 2005? What was he doing differently then from what he is doing now? Or has the league just adjusted to him?

He was keeping his changeup and curve ball down. I haven't watched him yet this season, but there are 2 things that killed him with us; when he wasn't throwing his changeup or when he wasn't keeping things buried in the dirt.

He has a 2 seam fastball that is a decent pitch, and a 93 mph fastball or so, but that 4 seamer is pretty darn straight. His curve ball though was a nice big overhand pitch, and his changeup when he kept it down was devastating. But if he wasn't throwing his changeup for strikes, hitters could just sit on the fastball or the curve and drive it, and if he wasn't keeping the changeup or curve down, they were basically meatballs. He needs to keep the ball down. End of story.