Sox Loss Postgame Thread

Shamrock4Life

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 01:42 AM)
This is Ozzie's 4th year with the Sox, and 3rd year with Pods on the team. If he doesn't know how to best utilize his personnel by now, then he's a worse manager than I think he is.

Do you EVER say anything positive? You have every right to complain, but the KIA attitude could be spared once in a while.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 06:44 AM)
Do you EVER say anything positive? You have every right to complain, but the KIA attitude could be spared once in a while.

Sure I say positive stuff about people that deserve it. I even started a thread congratulating our starting pitching for 4 great starts in a row. It just baffles me how anyone could excuse Ozzie for his decisions tonight.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 01:41 AM)
There you go, OG is blind.

I suppose this leaves Anderson as someone destined to have no more than 150 AB's. If he considers Podsednik's defense this first week as "good," then it'll take 5 months for doubt to creep into his mind. Erstad such as hell isn't going anywhere, and Ozuna is a "Muela" -- Spanish translation of 'grinder.'

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 01:41 AM)
Once again, an oversimplification. But this much we know: he's extremely hard on himself and will be cursing his own name like a sailor tonight as he is being "comforted" by Lisa Podsednik. I want his confidence high as can be because when he is on offensively, our team wins at an incredibly high rate.

When it comes down to it, one or two miscues in the field may be well-worth the extra offense which comes from him being confident at the dish some 600 more times this season.

Ugh, I don't think it's oversimplification to hope that Pods knows he's bad out there and Anderson is better. He was pulled a lot late in games last year because of this. He needs to realize what is best for the team and that's him hitting the bench in the 8th or 9th inning. And if he's really that hard on himself that he can't stand to be replaced late in games then I can't imagine what tonight's blooper real worthy exploits are going to do to him mentally.

If the Sox need to sacrifice games just to keep him confident at the plate then I don't really want him around anymore. There are a lot of players out there who can do what he does.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 01:46 AM)
Sure I say positive stuff about people that deserve it. I even started a thread congratulating our starting pitching for 4 great starts in a row. It just baffles me how anyone could excuse Ozzie for his decisions tonight.

Then you followed up the thread with "We faced two poor offensive teams in Oakland and Minnesota though." and "This may be the pessimism in me, but I have a feeling Danks and Contreras would have gotten knocked around in the first three innings if they had faced a good hitting team..."

I mean, come on dude. It baffles you how anyone could excuse Ozzie? WHAT do you want us to do to him? We have no control over what he does, or whether or not he has a job. The team is his, he does a solid job, and I cannot think of anyone else I would rather have managing this ballclub right now.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 01:49 AM)
You guys are so lame. Pods' d has been good this year (I know, sample size). Yeah, you can question the 9th inning of last night's game, but Pods had been playing good d to that point.

Pods D is good?

Okay goodnight everyone.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 01:49 AM)
Ugh, I don't think it's oversimplification to hope that Pods knows he's bad out there and Anderson is better. He was pulled a lot late in games last year because of this. He needs to realize what is best for the team and that's him hitting the bench in the 8th or 9th inning. And if he's really that hard on himself that he can't stand to be replaced late in games then I can't imagine what tonight's blooper real worthy exploits are going to do to him mentally.

If the Sox need to sacrifice games just to keep him confident at the plate then I don't really want him around anymore. There are a lot of players out there who can do what he does.

The number of actual games sacrificed because of his defense is absolutely miniscule compared to what he does for this team when he is playing well offensively.

Miniscule.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 06:49 AM)
Then you followed up the thread with "We faced two poor offensive teams in Oakland and Minnesota though." and "This may be the pessimism in me, but I have a feeling Danks and Contreras would have gotten knocked around in the first three innings if they had faced a good hitting team..."

I was congratulating for the results....that's all that matters. They're going to keep fine-tuning their command in order to shut down the better hitting teams.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 06:52 AM)
The number of actual games sacrificed because of his defense is absolutely miniscule compared to what he does for this team when he is playing well offensively.

Miniscule.

Here's what I don't get: Ozzie left him in to bat in the 7th inning against a LHP. It's not like Ozzie had pulled Pods to let someone else bat for him. I give Pods a ton of crap, but he's mentally stronger than you give him credit for. Barry Bonds gets pulled for defensive purposes....does that hurt his offense?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 01:52 AM)

Miniscule.

Yeah, I disagree but whatever I don't really care anymore.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 06:53 AM)
So ridiculous. And you just know he doesn't actually believe what he says. He's a flat out liar.

Remember how we used to talk about how you couldn't take anything KW said seriously? Ozzie is making KW look like the most honest man alive now.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 06:52 AM)

Miniscule.

Here's a question I have for you: if the Sox are up 1 tomorrow going into the 9th (and Pods started with Anderson on the bench), would you want Ozzie to keep Pods in the game?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 06:50 AM)
You're a good poster overall. But you can be pretty ridiculous at times.

FWIW, I was trying to post earlier that Ozzie probably honestly thinks that the ball did hit the wall before it landed on Pods. That would explain his comment a little better. This site has been crashing on me all night.

After watching the replay on MLB.tv frame by frame, I can say with 100% certainty that the ball hit Pods flush on the head. The wall did not come into play. There has to be another view of the play, is there a reason why they haven't shown it anywhere yet?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 07:04 AM)
After watching the replay on MLB.tv frame by frame, I can say with 100% certainty that the ball hit Pods flush on the head. The wall did not come into play. There has to be another view of the play, is there a reason why they haven't shown it anywhere yet?

Too graphic for television.

I'm just surprised because I came on expecting to hear more about Jenks' poor performance than about how this is all Ozzie's fault and more "ba should be in there!" talk.

Hell, Contreras got an "is he done?" thread after that 1st start. I was actually more concerned with Jenks than Contreras and a few of the other pitchers, particularly coming out of spring training. And Jenks performing poorly has much, much more significant and long-term repercussions for the bullpen and team than Podsednik being a below-average fielder.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 07:08 AM)
I'm just surprised because I came on expecting to hear more about Jenks' poor performance than about how this is all Ozzie's fault and more "ba should be in there!" talk.

Hell, Contreras got an "is he done?" thread after that 1st start. I was actually more concerned with Jenks than Contreras and a few of the other pitchers, particularly coming out of spring training. And Jenks performing poorly has much, much more significant and long-term repercussions for the bullpen and team than Podsednik being a below-average fielder.

Couldn't agree more. Between his hip issue last year, and his tightness during ST, Jenks doesn't seem to get the same extension and follow-thru on his pitches. He's basically an offspeed pitcher right now with a fastball that he tries to throw for strikes and set the hitter up. If MacDougal has to become the closer, then we put inexperienced guys like Aardsma or Masset into the set-up spot. Let's just hope that Jenks isn't this year's Shingo/Politte, etc.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 02:12 AM)
Couldn't agree more. Between his hip issue last year, and his tightness during ST, Jenks doesn't seem to get the same extension and follow-thru on his pitches. He's basically an offspeed pitcher right now with a fastball that he tries to throw for strikes and set the hitter up. If MacDougal has to become the closer, then we put inexperienced guys like Aardsma or Masset into the set-up spot. Let's just hope that Jenks isn't this year's Shingo/Politte, etc.

Let's hypothesize here that Jenks doesn't regain lost velocity and sits around 93-94mph. Even with such a fastball, Jenks has quality offspeed pitches within his arsenal. His cutter isn't half bad, either. If he showcases the changeup seen in the Indians series, his production should easily exceed that of Shingo and Politte.

I'm not happy about the prospect of a declining Jenks, but we have two major league capable closers already in the bullpen. Jenks at ~4.25ERA still isn't terrible if other relievers hold their own and fill in during the 9th inning.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 01:47 AM)
I suppose this leaves Anderson as someone destined to have no more than 150 AB's. If he considers Podsednik's defense this first week as "good," then it'll take 5 months for doubt to creep into his mind. Erstad such as hell isn't going anywhere, and Ozuna is a "Muela" -- Spanish translation of 'grinder.'

I was informed during spring training that Ozuna would rank quite low on the grinder scale.

Kalapse please help me on this one, PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE kthx

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 02:12 AM)

So far Aardsma and Masset have been great. I know it's early and all...but with those two plus Thornton and Sisco...not a bad situation. Who's to say Jenks couldn't drop back into a setup guy. The Politte comparison really may not be that far off.