Sox Loss Postgame Thread

Shamrock4Life

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to Game two of the World Series, in which a very similar sequence of events occurred.

You mean when his noodle arm allowed Burke to score on a liner to shallow left field when he had the ball before the runner started for home? :P

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:18 PM)
Yeah, and Jenks shouldn't have given up three hits in the first place.

I can argue all day long with you. It's bs to just b**** and moan about certain players or a manager but not others because you don't happen to like them. It started and ended with Bobby, and he even said so himself.

There's been plenty of b****ing about Jenks velocity and pitch selection. In reality, this has nothing to do with Pods as a player. Ozzie let Pods down last night.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)
You mean when his noodle arm allowed Burke to score on a liner to shallow left field when he had the ball before the runner started for home? :P

Indeed. Any decent LF would have either thrown out the guy at home or at least kept the runner from trying to score.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 09:54 AM)
But since our hitting is so anemic right now you have to rely on your best defense and pitching scenarios in order to give your team a fighting chance. Ozzie put in his best pitching option and that didn't work out. He did not utilize his best defensive options.

I agree that he should've put BA in as a defensive sub. That said, Jenks and the anemic Sox offense lost that game.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
The Legend is here. Thanks to SouthsideSox.com

bonk.gif

Forgive me -- I can't help but laugh really loudly at that.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:34 PM)
Umpire blows call which would have resulted in a successful squeeze play from Pods, which would have added a run.

A WTF inconsistant strike zone, bigger for the A's, smaller for the Sox. I saw multiple instances where the Oakland pitchers were getting strike calls, and our pitchers were not in the exact same locations.

Nope -- would've been a foul ball. And there were two outs -- Podsednik shouldn't have been bunting in the first place. He's not a good bunter in the first place, so what made him think he could place the bunt perfectly down the first base line so he wouldn't be out?

And what's he doing in the game in the first place? Oh, right, our manager must have not seen Pablo Ozuna and Brian Anderson and Jermaine Dye sitting on the bench.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 10:21 AM)
The one most easily rectified is managerial decisions.

Yeah, the Sox should re-hire Jerry Manuel or Terry Bevington. Because, you know, ANYBODY is better than Ozzie.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Yeah, the Sox should re-hire Jerry Manuel or Terry Bevington. Because, you know, ANYBODY is better than Ozzie.

We are criticizing moves made by the current manager, not comparing him to other managers.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)

I love SoxTalk hyperbole.

It's not easy to get a pitcher to pitch better. Its easy to explain to a manager why his decision was really stupid and why he shouldn't make it again.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
We are criticizing moves made by the current manager, not comparing him to other managers.

No doubt. Besides, if we are going to compare to other managers, let's not set the bar an inch off the ground. Being better than Jerry and Boom Boom is comparable to being the world's tallest midget.

FWIW, I typically like Ozzie for all the intangibles he brings to managing his club, not just his in-game decisions. He did f*** up last night, though.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 10:24 AM)

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
I love SoxTalk hyperbole.

It's not easy to get a pitcher to pitch better. Its easy to explain to a manager why his decision was really stupid and why he shouldn't make it again.

Wake me up when you find a suitable replacement for Ozzie. Given the Sox's track record with managers, I should probably fatten up before beginning my hibernation.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
Wake me up when you find a suitable replacement for Ozzie. Given the Sox's track record with managers, I should probably fatten up before beginning my hibernation.

I'm not talking about replacing Ozzie. I'm not sure where you got that. There's no reason Ozzie can't fix his decision-making process.

Wake me up when you come up with a decent explanation for his terrible management last night instead of this strawman BS.

Edited by StrangeSox

Ah, my life is complete. Thanks for the link to my new avatar, it goes with my tagline quite well.

Simple fact is, in 1 run games, late(read:8th and 9th inning), you put your best defensive team into the game. You don't think "Well what if I need this guy to hit in the 10th?" BS, grindErstad/BA/Mack should have been the defensive OF from left to right.

Does that mean Jenks gets a free pass? Hell no, his pitch selection(partly on AJ) was as predictable as a Konerko AB is right now. If you are a hitter, you go up there sitting on a 90-93 mph fastball right down the cock(like Piazza and Bradley did) first pitch. If you don't get it, you foul off his cutter/slider/fastball until 2 strikes, then sit on the curve that you KNOW is coming.

Pretty simple, and sad that us 'armchair generals' as we were called can see it so easily.

Ozzie needs a bench coach that can assist in strategy. He has never choose to have one for some reason.

The really odd thing is the leftie/rightie thing. He lives and dies with it sometimes and ignores it at other times.

I love how this has turned into a fire Ozzie thread.

At least driving home in the snow I can listen to a meaningful game.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 10:38 AM)
I'm not talking about replacing Ozzie. I'm not sure where you got that. There's no reason Ozzie can't fix his decision-making process.

Ozzie isn't going to change his style. I thought that would be obvious by now. So, while I agree that Ozzie's irrational prejudice against young players such as Anderson is counter-productive, Ozzie is going to do what Ozzie wants until the day that he gets fired. We're going to have to take the bad with the good.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
Leaving Cintron on 3B with no outs was unexcuseable... That cost us the game more than anything else, IMO.

completely agree, if anything Pods had the least to do with the loss last night. At least he gave himself a chance to make the play with his speed....with a frozen rope like that, I dont know many that could have actually got back to the track to even attempt a catch.

Nevertheless, complete waste of time trying to defend Pods around here.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
Leaving Cintron on 3B with no outs was unexcuseable... That cost us the game more than anything else, IMO.

Although...that one wasn't exactly the fault of anyone on the Sox. That was the classic "In oakland key call botched by ump" moment of this series.

Oh yeah, did that ball hit right off of Pods head, or did it bounce off the top of the wall then hit him in the head? I couldn't tell. And I put no blame on Pods last night, he did everything he could, and has been the best hitter for this team lately. And he has played so-so defense, which is better then expected.

Also, Cintron should have been brought in by Mack. Why in the world would you slap at a pitch low and away!?!?!?! Are you F'ing kidding me Mack!? Runner on 3rd, infield in, so you slap at a pitch low and away? I f'ing hate you now! And Uribe, well, I didn't expect anything less then a K in that AB, but he did, in a very lucky way, drive in the only run, so I won't put too much blame on him.

And I am not going to blame the ump for blowing that call. I thought it also hit Pods outside the box at first, and it was a tough call. C.B. Bukner called a pretty good, and fair, game all night. I am not going to blame him.

Right now I blame Mack and Jenks.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 06:15 PM)
Oh yeah, did that ball hit right off of Pods head, or did it bounce off the top of the wall then hit him in the head? I couldn't tell. And I put no blame on Pods last night, he did everything he could, and has been the best hitter for this team lately. And he has played so-so defense, which is better then expected.

Also, Cintron should have been brought in by Mack. Why in the world would you slap at a pitch low and away!?!?!?! Are you F'ing kidding me Mack!? Runner on 3rd, infield in, so you slap at a pitch low and away? I f'ing hate you now! And Uribe, well, I didn't expect anything less then a K in that AB, but he did, in a very lucky way, drive in the only run, so I won't put too much blame on him.

And I am not going to blame the ump for blowing that call. I thought it also hit Pods outside the box at first, and it was a tough call. C.B. Bukner called a pretty good, and fair, game all night. I am not going to blame him.

Right now I blame Mack and Jenks.

ROB MACKOWIAK SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN HITTING IN THAT SITUATION!

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:47 PM)
Ozzie isn't going to change his style. I thought that would be obvious by now. So, while I agree that Ozzie's irrational prejudice against young players such as Anderson is counter-productive, Ozzie is going to do what Ozzie wants until the day that he gets fired. We're going to have to take the bad with the good.

Last year Ozzie pulled Pods in most every late game situation where a defensive replacement was necessary, he stopped doing that this year. Seems to me that he changed his style in that regard.