Brian Anderson and winter ball again...

hitlesswonder

Anderson wants more at-bats and doesn't want to play winter ball, per the Suntimes. It's impressive that a guy with a something like a .600 career OPS doesn't think he needs to get some at-bats in the winter to get better. And he thinks his .143 batting average deserves some more major league at-bats this season. I think it would be best for all if Anderson found his way to a new organization as soon as possible.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:03 AM)
Anderson wants more at-bats and doesn't want to play winter ball, per the Suntimes. It's impressive that a guy with a something like a .600 career OPS doesn't think he needs to get some at-bats in the winter to get better. And he thinks his .143 batting average deserves some more major league at-bats this season. I think it would be best for all if Anderson found his way to a new organization as soon as possible.

How can you possibly use 7 scattered ab this season as a reason he shouldn't be playing? He went to winter ball and got sick. The White Sox organization is not doing BA any favors by letting him rot on the bench. I hope they see what they are doing is totally wrong. I do agree it would be in his best interest that KW found him a new home, but its not entirely BA's fault. He didn't hit last year, no doubt about it. Neither did Pods, but KW found $3 million to give him.

Are you seriously talking about a batting average after 7 AB's? And "career" numbers after one season of being platooned in the majors? A season in which he improved over the course of?

I understand his point here. He did everything they asked of him in the off season. He went to Venezuela and got sick as a dog. He still played as much as he could and he performed well in spring training. Then he sits on the bench, getting 7 AB's over the course of 12 games. I'd be pissed too.

Still, he should have kept his mouth shut. Its time that this organization and Brian Anderson part ways. They're just hurting each other's chances of success right now.

Edited by StrangeSox

The batting average is meaningless, especially considering the pitchers he's had to face so far. Although at this point, I'm beginning to think it best that Anderson go to a new organization as well, even though we'd be selling low. He has no chance to develop with Ozzie as his manager.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)
How can you possibly use 7 scattered ab this season as a reason he shouldn't be playing?

You're right -- that was over the top on my part (using that standard about 7 of the Sox starting 9 would have to sit). I really would like to see Anderson do well, but I think it's going to have to be for another team.

Who the hell cares about Brian Andersen. He is nothing, he will not get us to the playoffs nor might he be anything other than what he is. I know people like him because he is young, a surfer dude, who acts kool, but the guy is a non entity. Really who cares. Move on he is a fringe player.

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
Who the hell cares about Brian Andersen. He is nothing, he will not get us to the playoffs nor might he be anything other than what he is. I know people like him because he is young, a surfer dude, who acts kool, but the guy is a non entity. Really who cares. Move on he is a fringe player.

KW cleared out CF to get BA into the MLB (enough acronyms for ya?). He traded Rowand and a top prospect in Young. Now we have an old dude who can't hit and plays above-average defense, but has injury problems and can't be around for too long. We've also got a young guy who struggled at the plate last year but showed improvement and plays excellent defense.

What's your answer to the CF problem?

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)

Yeah, that's it...

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)

eh, at times I honestly think that people like Anderson only because Ozzie does not. Anderson got ripped up one side and down the other here last year, and now all of the sudden he is a cult hero, and he hasn't done anything. Its kinda funny actually.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
eh, at times I honestly think that people like Anderson only because Ozzie does not. Anderson got ripped up one side and down the other here last year, and now all of the sudden he is a cult hero, and he hasn't done anything. Its kinda funny actually.

Yup, we completely ignore his stellar defense and the fact that he hit .306 in the minors and instead give him manlove because Ozzie hates him.

brb I need to go jizz on a picture of Brandon McCarthy and Boone Logan

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)
Yup, we completely ignore his stellar defense and the fact that he hit .306 in the minors and instead give him manlove because Ozzie hates him.

brb I need to go jizz on a picture of Brandon McCarthy and Boone Logan

AHHHH HAHAHAHA

Playing once a week and batting 3 times a game against some of the toughest lefties in the league isn't really doing Brain or the Sox any good. If the Sox are looking to move him, send him down to the Knights and let him get his ABs. If he does well, maybe his value moves up a little. I have to agree with Jimbo that Terrerro would do better in Ozzie's Platoon system.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:39 AM)
All i've seen from Brian Anderson has not been impressive.

Yeah, but Erstad has been lights out and is the future, so sticking with him seems like the correct course of action.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
At the plate, no. But what about in the field?

Why do people often forget entirely about defense?

Defense doesn't matter. Just as those that want the CF to be a position of power if they'd like us to go pick up Carl Everett again, throw him back out in CF. That was a fun experiment now, wasn't it.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
At the plate, no. But what about in the field?

Why do people often forget entirely about defense?

dunno....Brian saves hits and saves runs. What he lacks with the bat he makes up for in the field. He at the very least deserves more of an opportunity than he has been given to show if his approach has improved. If grindErstad was exceeding expectations I can see not pulling him. But Erstad has more at bats that anyone on the team including spring training. He should be the most comfortable at the plate and he's not.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
For BA's sake, the Sox need to show some class and trade him...

Guillen is ruining his career.

No, he needs to be sent down. Its apparent to anyone who has watched his at bats that he needs some more seasoning. His reads in the OF havent impressed me either. Erstad's reads and jumps are much better than BA's. He needs some AAA time until Erstad breaks his leg, then he can play full time.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:01 PM)
dunno....Brian saves hits and saves runs. What he lacks with the bat he makes up for in the field. He at the very least deserves more of an opportunity than he has been given to show if his approach has improved. If grindErstad was exceeding expectations I can see not pulling him. But Erstad has more at bats that anyone on the team including spring training. He should be the most comfortable at the plate and he's not.

Besides, Erstad could always be there on the bench for when we need that crucial groundout to the 2B late in a game.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
No, he needs to be sent down. Its apparent to anyone who has watched his at bats that he needs some more seasoning. His reads in the OF havent impressed me either. Erstad's reads and jumps are much better than BA's. He needs some AAA time until Erstad breaks his leg, then he can play full time.

More seasoning? How about just more at bats that maybe are much less sporadic and against some of the better LHP in the AL?

And let's not go down on Erstad and his defense just yet. Anderson was supposedly having one of the best defensive seasons for a CF in about 100 years last season. And again, I would be willing to bet Anderson's reads would look a lot better if he played once in a while.

Edited by Milkman delivers