Brian Anderson and winter ball again...

hitlesswonder

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:01 AM)
dunno....Brian saves hits and saves runs. What he lacks with the bat he makes up for in the field. He at the very least deserves more of an opportunity than he has been given to show if his approach has improved. If grindErstad was exceeding expectations I can see not pulling him. But Erstad has more at bats that anyone on the team including spring training. He should be the most comfortable at the plate and he's not.

Nobody in MLB is comfortable at this point, not with this weather.

Runs are down 3 per game. I don't think Uribe will be our best hitter over the course of the entire season. At least, I really hope not...if he is, you can cancel the post-game show.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)
Nobody in MLB is comfortable at this point, not with this weather.

Runs are down 3 per game. I don't think Uribe will be our best hitter over the course of the entire season. At least, I really hope not...if he is, you can cancel the post-game show.

As bad as everyone is hitting in baseball we are still 30th in hitting.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
You can also add the #2 hitter.

The #2 hitter shouldnt be the huge RBI machine that our vaunted middle of the order is supposed to be. Otherwise I would have included the 7 and 8 hitter.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:22 AM)
What do you think would happen if Erstad actually does get hurt? Would Ozzie definitely make Anderson the starter?

Think about that question. I don't really trust him to even start BA in that situation.

Yes, he would. In fact, it will happen.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
The #2 hitter shouldnt be the huge RBI machine that our vaunted middle of the order is supposed to be. Otherwise I would have included the 7 and 8 hitter.

No, but its harder for the 3, 4, 5 to get RBI's if the 2 is always getting outs.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
How about hits? Is it harder for them to get hits?

Well, you can get into "getting the #2 out builds confidence in the pitcher etc.", but I'm not going to make excuses for them. They aren't hitting well at all.

Neither is Erstad. Stop making excuses for him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)

Yes, he would. In fact, it will happen.

I'd be way more willing to bet that Terrero comes up and takes 90% of the at bats (as it is now with Erstad/Anderson).

How is Thome still getting lumped in with the cesspool of hitting known as Crede/Dye/Konerko?

Thome is hitting .294, a silly .455 OBP, 10 walks in 34 ABs, and all this against a s***ton of lefties so far.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
Has anyone actually looked at Thome's stats thus far this season?

Always 30 seconds ahead of me!!

Foiled again!

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
How is Thome still getting lumped in with the cesspool of hitting known as Crede/Dye/Konerko?

Thome is hitting .294, a silly .455 OBP, 10 walks in 34 ABs, and all this against a s***ton of lefties so far.

Always 30 seconds ahead of me!!

Foiled again!

Not to mention only 7 PAs w/ RISP. Of course in those 7 PAs he has 2 hits, 2 BB, a homerun and 4 RBI

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
I'd be way more willing to bet that Terrero comes up and takes 90% of the at bats (as it is now with Erstad/Anderson).

You really think that when Erstad goes down that Terrero is going to start? Hilarious blind hatred.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
And 90 percent of that is due to our 3,4,5,6, hitters who should be producing at a high rate.

Thank you.

We just gave up eight earned runs in three games to Cleveland and lost two out of three. There is no excuse for that. The offense has been terrible, and its the guys who get paid the big money who have been leading the flop parade. Its sad, but Pods and Uribe have been our best hitters. Thome has put up some "numbers", but it has been pretty much been from the Sammy Sosa school of hitting when the pressure is off.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)
Thank you.

We just gave up eight earned runs in three games to Cleveland and lost two out of three. There is no excuse for that. The offense has been terrible, and its the guys who get paid the big money who have been leading the flop parade. Its sad, but Pods and Uribe have been our best hitters. Thome has put up some "numbers", but it has been pretty much been from the Sammy Sosa school of hitting when the pressure is off.

Yeah, that's bulls*** but I guess that's what happens when you're Jim Thome, he got this same sort of talk last year as well. Where are all these 'big hits' that Pods has come up with this year?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:47 PM)
Thank you.

The bit about Thome isn't true. Read the numbers from Kalapse.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
Yeah, that's bulls*** but I guess that's what happens when you're Jim Thome, he got this same sort of talk last year as well.

When has he gotten a big hit late in a game this year? The only thing I can find is the run scoring single in Oakland. Everything else has been way early in games.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
The bit about Thome isn't true. Read the numbers from Kalapse.

There are three types of lies.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Read my prior post.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:52 AM)
When has he gotten a big hit late in a game this year? The only thing I can find is the run scoring single in Oakland. Everything else has been way early in games.

That 2 run 8th inning HR in a 2-1 game in Oakland was pretty big. It's ok, for whatever reason every time Thome does something big late in a game it gets ignored.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)
That 2 run 8th inning HR in a 2-1 game in Oakland was pretty big. It's ok, for whatever reason every time Thome does something big late in a game it gets ignored.

:huh:

I think most everybody luvs Thome. I just think everybody is frustrated at the big bats not producing as they should as a whole.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)

What two run homer in a 2-1 game? I see Thome with a solo shot in the 4th and a run scoring single in the eighth.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?g...mp;refresh=null

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
:huh:

I think most everybody luvs Thome. I just think everybody is frustrated at the big bats not producing as they should as a whole.

That's the funny part. You can't seem to have a differing opinion without it being blown up into something it is not. I was one who loved the deal to get Thome, and the fact that it meant Frank was moving on. I still think Thome is a great player, and will have a great year, he just hasn't done anything big so far, but really no one on the offensive side of the game has been clutch except for Uribe.