DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
ahhh good call. yea, he's done.. and so is Obama. Obama needed edwards to draw votes from hillary.

yeah - this is the death knell for obama... all hail pres. clinton...

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
ahhh good call. yea, he's done.. and so is Obama. Obama needed edwards to draw votes from hillary.

If Edwards drops out and endorses Clinton, Obama is done. If he drops out and doesn't endorse, then Obama's chances get worse, but not gone (since I think he'll get the balance of Edwards backers). But if Edwards endorses Obama and campaigns for him, then suddenly its a basically dead even race.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
Is there anyone here who is either actually: excited about voting for Hillary or even just planning to vote for Hillary at all in November?

um. if she gets the nom... yeah... i'd vote for her

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
Is there anyone here who is either actually: excited about voting for Hillary or even just planning to vote for Hillary at all in November?

I actually switched out of working next Tuesday night so I can caucus for Obama, and I haven't caucused since 1992. I will have to hold my nose more than usual to vote for the Dem if Hill wins the nomination.

Maybe I'll just leave the top spot blank.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
If Edwards drops out and endorses Clinton, Obama is done. If he drops out and doesn't endorse, then Obama's chances get worse, but not gone (since I think he'll get the balance of Edwards backers). But if Edwards endorses Obama and campaigns for him, then suddenly its a basically dead even race.

YOu beat me to it. I am going to assume Edwards will endorse Obama for the sake of this argument...

Edwards drops out and Endorses Obama. Not only does he endorse him, he campaigns on his behalf with Obama's money. This does two things. It draws Edwards supporters to Obama, and it keeps Edwards in the spotlight. So, if people vote for him even after he drops out, they can be "moved" to Obama at the convention.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
YOu beat me to it. I am going to assume Edwards will endorse Obama for the sake of this argument...

Edwards drops out and Endorses Obama. Not only does he endorse him, he campaigns on his behalf with Obama's money. This does two things. It draws Edwards supporters to Obama, and it keeps Edwards in the spotlight. So, if people vote for him even after he drops out, they can be "moved" to Obama at the convention.

what's crazy is that Edwards may get MORE coverage as an Obama surrogate than he did as a candidate... lol

I'm hearing, fwiw, that the DNC will in fact allow the Florida delegates to vote at the convention due to the turn out. Considering Florida is a swing state, it might be a major screw up if the party says, thanks for making the effort to vote but we are going to ignore your vote.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 12:11 AM)
I'm hearing, fwiw, that the DNC will in fact allow the Florida delegates to vote at the convention due to the turn out. Considering Florida is a swing state, it might be a major screw up if the party says, thanks for making the effort to vote but we are going to ignore your vote.

I hope not, even though I'm one of the Florida Dems who probably just voted today as an academic exercise. I'm ticked off at the Florida state parties for pushing to move the primary up (like Florida needs to be in the voting screw up spotlight any more than it normally already is), and I hope the DNC sticks to their guns.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 01:33 AM)
The DNC will only seat Florida delegates if the outcome of the convention is not in doubt before the convention. Same with Michigan. If Obama was sailing to a win, they'd be seated as well.

Well, I hope it is that way rather than the other way around. If the convention outcome was tight enough that it would be decided by whether or not to count FL delegates and the then DNC decided to seat them. . . well, I guess that would be the kind of epic election f*@k up only us Floridians can precipitate.

I often wake up in a cold sweat losing sleep over the seemingly infinite stOOpidity of my adoptive state. :crying

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)

This is a huge f*** up. How do you tell the candidates, well there are no delegates and please dont run ads. Then when a certain former first lady wins, she decides that the rules shouldnt apply to her, and that she must fight for the little person so she can get every single delegate. You either have the states delegates sit, and you have a full election where everyone is well informed of whats at stake or you dont. This crap that Billary keeps pulling is a f***ing mess. The more this bulls*** games are thrown out, the more I hate that woman and her jerkoff husband.

Are you Obama people learning that you don't have a chance? You should. The "roses" scenario of him beating Hillarity, Billary, b****, whatever you want to say, is over, and has been since she cried in New Hampshire.

The only SLIGHT way is Edwards to 100% back Obama. And I guess we'll see.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
Are you Obama people learning that you don't have a chance? You should. The "roses" scenario of him beating Hillarity, Billary, b****, whatever you want to say, is over, and has been since she cried in New Hampshire.

The only SLIGHT way is Edwards to 100% back Obama. And I guess we'll see.

I completely disagree with you. Just look at the stats in the article I posted regarding Florida. In recent weeks a big tide of voters swung over to Obama. I think we'll see a huge rush of momentum towards him on Tuesday.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 08:11 AM)
The plot thickens. Well, actually, I guess the plot thins.

So, do we think he'll endorse someone? Or just drop out?

wow - called that one.

i'd say he'll endorse someone. in my book, he wouldn't have dropped out unless a deal had been made with another candidate.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
At least he has the decency to get out of the leaders way, either that or one of the leaders gave him a carrot to endorse him at a pivotal time...

i guarantee it's the latter. but i'm fine with that. i just want my boy in the white house, be it VP or AG or whatever else.

edit: and of course by white house i mean washington in general. lol

Edited by Reddy