White Sox vs. Royals, 5/13/07 (L)

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
Here's are hit totals against lefty starters this year:

8, 1, 1, 5, 5, 5, 4, 5

That's an average of 4.25

Translation = we suck

Josh Fields has an OPS of 1.026 against LHP between this year and last year.

If we want to compete without an offense we need to petition Selig to move the sox to the NL right now. The American league hits, and no matter how good your pitching is eventually you will need your offense to man up and score you some runs. The fact that they keep talking about flipping f***ing baseball cards and all is well is dumb. The offense is getting worse, the Royals got torched last week and our pedestrian offense is making them look great.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
If we want to compete without an offense we need to petition Selig to move the sox to the NL right now. The American league hits, and no matter how good your pitching is eventually you will need your offense to man up and score you some runs. The fact that they keep talking about flipping f***ing baseball cards and all is well is dumb. The offense is getting worse, the Royals got torched last week and our pedestrian offense is making them look great.

And the A's are virtually our mirror image...great pitching and lousy offense.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:04 PM)

Most of our games have been against the lowest scoring teams in baseball. No way this pitching performs as well as they have when we face teams like the Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox, etc. At this point, I just want to watch some exciting baseball, as I think we have no prayer to top the Tigers in the standings this year.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
And the A's are virtually our mirror image...great pitching and lousy offense.

Except when they call up people from the minors, they get instant contributions.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:02 PM)
Here's are hit totals against lefty starters this year:

8, 1, 1, 5, 5, 5, 4, 5

That's an average of 4.25

Translation = we suck

Atleast there aren't many tough lefthanded pitchers within the American League central to worry about.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:07 PM)
Atleast there aren't many tough lefthanded pitchers within the American League central to worry about.

I'm sure you remember how many times I said this same exact thing this offseason. One could argue that Ozzie really screwed up in putting Toby at first base during ST, and then not keeping Perez on the roster.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:06 PM)
Most of our games have been against the lowest scoring teams in baseball. No way this pitching performs as well as they have when we face teams like the Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox, etc. At this point, I just want to watch some exciting baseball, as I think we have no prayer to top the Tigers in the standings this year.

Except when they call up people from the minors, they get instant contributions.

Buck has been okay this year and Crosby was very good his rookie season, but they haven't produced position players like they did 7-8 years ago....with Hernandez, Giambi, Tejada, Durazo, Chavez, as well as trades for Dye and Damon.

I still would take our offense going forward over the A's, but it's only due to my hopes that Thome will come back at full health.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:09 PM)
Buck has been okay this year and Crosby was very good his rookie season, but they haven't produced position players like they did 7-8 years ago....with Hernandez, Giambi, Tejada, Durazo, Chavez, as well as trades for Dye and Damon.

I still would take our offense going forward over the A's, but it's only due to my hopes that Thome will come back at full health.

Their offense in the past was based on steroids.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
Lefties hit De La Rosa better than righties, yet our brilliant lineup is righty dominant. Maybe looking at splits might be something the whitesox front office might want to take a look at. Sometimes stats dont lie.

Irish we have Thome and Pods, both lefties, on the DL. Healthy and we are doing good. Or am I missing your point here?

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
Irish we have Thome and Pods, both lefties, on the DL. Healthy and we are doing good. Or am I missing your point here?

Konerko and Dye were not hitting when Thome was healthy. They walked him, because the two guys behind they cant hit. They cant hit now. So where magically do you think that with THome here things just poof are good again. We were last in the league when Thome was healthy.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:13 PM)
i woudn't be 1 bit surprised if we get swept by the Yanks and the Cubs, the way this team is hitting :(

This teams offense is pathetic as all get out that's for sure. I watched the game last night on WGN and Hawk and DJ both were saying they have never seen a team hitting slump last this long or involve the whole team like this.

Sweeney's swing looks horrendous against lefties. It looks like he has no chance to hit a ball hard to right field from that angle.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
This teams offense is pathetic as all get out that's for sure. I watched the game last night on WGN and Hawk and DJ both were saying they have never seen a team hitting slump last this long or involve the whole team like this.

These are the same clowns who said all last year how they've never seen a team go so long without going on a roll like the Sox did last year. It could be game 162 this year, and they'll still think we're going to break out of it.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
Konerko and Dye were not hitting when Thome was healthy. They walked him, because the two guys behind they cant hit. They cant hit now. So where magically do you think that with THome here things just poof are good again. We were last in the league when Thome was healthy.

Team slump not an indication though of how good we can be. I ain't happy either, but you gotta believe they will come out of it. Right now for the most part our pitching is keeping us in there and hopefull the bats come around.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 13, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)

i said the same thing a week ago. I've been watching the Sox for about 15 yrs or so, and i cant remember the offense being this bad, for this long. It's truly been God awful.

Edited by CYGarland

3 hits in 7 innings vs De La Rosa.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:18 PM)
Team slump not an indication though of how good we can be. I ain't happy either, but you gotta believe they will come out of it. Right now for the most part our pitching is keeping us in there and hopefull the bats come around.

I wish people would stop talking about how great our offensive talent is. Even with Thome healthy, you still only have 3 above average hitters. The offense was hot for a 2 month stretch last year. Besides that, they've been average at best over the last 350 games or so.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)

We hit better in April when we used cold as an excuse. Its quite pleasant out these days. They getting worse, week by week hitting. Check their last 7 day splits, and check the month of May.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
3 hits in 7 innings vs De La Rosa. Fire Walker....and KW!

I wish people would stop talking about how great our offensive talent is. Even with Thome healthy, you still only have 3 above average hitters. The offense was hot for a 2 month stretch last year. Besides that, they've been average at best over the last 350 games or so.

Dye-Konerko-Thome-Crede-Iguchi-AJ Perz are all above averegae hitters. The others maybe are average

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:06 PM)

Getting Jack Cust was a great move for Beane. Too bad he built such a weak offense...

I'd love to have Cust on this team, though. I guess our offense is good enough to get by Pob Mackzuna as our DH. Not like there's a guy out there who can play 1B/DH and who mashes lefties...