The Irony Of This Forum

JohnCangelosi

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
Was there ever anything that you would admit that you were wrong about - regarding this team - that turned into a good thing?

Yes. In 2004, I thought that trading Reed, Olivo, and Morse would hurt the team's stability in the OF and C for years to come, but Garcia was a vital component of winning a world title.

My post was not meant to be an I-told-you-so point, but a mere response to the thread claiming more people were b****ing about the rotation than the pen. In reality, I thought the pen was a far greater concern coming into the season, except I thought that all the way back in December.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
I think Kal was on the right track before he brought post count into the discussion though. Making blanket statements calling out an entire messageboard when you have been here for a little while isnt really the way to bring about a healthy discussion, and it will offend plenty of long time posters.

The negativity gets to me too, but frankly I cant argue with it anymore. The Sox arent producing wins, and there is a reason for it. Just because a majority thought we were going to stink for one reason, and we ended up stinking for another reason doesnt mean that everyone needs to be called out two months in the season for being nanny naybobs/negative nancies. We still stink.

The claim regarding post counts is NOT that more posts = more credibility, as everyone seems to be taking it. It's this -- if you're gonna call out people and talk s*** about being wrong in the past, you DAMN WELL better have been mostly right, yourself. JC wasn't railing against people questioning the starters in spring training, and he has such a short track record (read: such a small post count) that noone knows what he was thinking. I find one post basically saying 'Wait and see' on Buehrle, and one post that was completely wishy-washy about Danks. That's not someone who has any right to start a crow-eating thread. The only consistent, strong opinion I can find is that he thought the Tigers would suck badly.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 04:57 PM)
The claim regarding post counts is NOT that more posts = more credibility, as everyone seems to be taking it. It's this -- if you're gonna call out people and talk s*** about being wrong in the past, you DAMN WELL better have been mostly right, yourself. JC wasn't railing against people questioning the starters in spring training, and he has such a short track record (read: such a small post count) that noone knows what he was thinking. I find one post basically saying 'Wait and see' on Buehrle, and one post that was completely wishy-washy about Danks. That's not someone who has any right to start a crow-eating thread. The only consistent, strong opinion I can find is that he thought the Tigers would suck badly.

I think you guys misunderstood the point of the post. Surely, I am a "half glass full" type of guy by nature, and for lack of a better term, a homer.

For the record, I NEVER gave up on Buerhle like some of the half glass empty crew did. And honestly, shame on you- here's a guy who has been probably the most consistent starter in a White Sox uniform for a 5-6 yr stretch I've seen since 1985. For anyone else, I can understand the concerns and talk surrounding his second half effort last year.

I don't disagree that we've played terrible this year and that I misjudged this teams potential both in the pen and offensively. And I am not here telling people I know it all either, quite the contrary.

I just thought it was an interesting point to bring up, that indeed, the one thing that stuck out to me about this forum before the first pitch was thrown (and consequently hit out of the park LOL) was the fact that our SP was done.

And in fact, that has been the only reason we're one win from being .500

Ironic, that's all.

I will continue to make posts and have my opinions that will be wrong, such as my Tigers prediction. However, remember, there is still plenty of ball to play!

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
Joker? How about a little respect for a guy who was having my way with beautiful women while you were still in diapers?;-)

You're only a few years older than I. And I've been following the Sox longer than you have. :P

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
Hug it out, b****es....

:michaelscott "It doesn't work so well with women..." :lol:

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
For the record, I NEVER gave up on Buerhle like some of the half glass empty crew did. And honestly, shame on you- here's a guy who has been probably the most consistent starter in a White Sox uniform for a 5-6 yr stretch I've seen since 1985. For anyone else, I can understand the concerns and talk surrounding his second half effort last year.

Shame on me? Or who? If I said anything suggesting that I gave up on Buehrle, produce it. I don't even know who you're addressing now.

And why would anyone be ashamed, anyway? Pitchers washing out is hardly a rare story, but someone should be ashamed for thinking it would happen to MB? You hardly went out on a limb, yourself. You didn't give up on him, but you sure didn't predict this start.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 05:25 PM)
You're only a few years older than I. And I've been following the Sox longer than you have. :P

:michaelscott "It doesn't work so well with women..." :lol:

Well, I did follow the Sox in 83 but I was only 11 yrs old and the games weren't on TV that much back in those days.

So, I REALLY began following them from start to finish in 85.

I was never crazy about the Royals rejects in the pen.

But I assumed we'd be OKafter readin how gret our bullpen was by all the experts

in the magazines as well as being convinced by those on here.

MacDougal sucks.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
And now that he's hurt there's no realistic replacement for him. That's EXACTLY what was feared would happen when he originally signed. Darin Erstad is not a f***ing positive, the fact that KW put all of his eggs in the Pods/Erstad basket has completely f***ed up the top of this lineup and will probably be impossible fix for the rest of the season. The Erstad and Podsednik signings were terrible and have put this team in a position it couldn't afford to be in, they have to tread water for the next 4 months with no leadoff man.

Other than being an incredibly misguided attempt at self serving s*** talking what exactly did you hope to gain by calling people out? You can't even get your facts straight.

Kalapse did call out KW on the outfield situation well before the season started. he was right, they are way too old, injury prone, and not really that good anymore.

I know I openly questioned John Denks, and he has proven me wrong. The rest of the rotation has been about as I expected. Buerhle has been Buerhle, Garland is a workhorse, Contrereas can be our best starter at times and other times he looks bad, and Vazquez is sort of like Contreras.

The bullpen was full of potential, short on experience. It could be very good, but it hadn't done it, and it's been bad after the first few weeks.

Nobody could have predicted the hitting would be this bad. I have been a critic of this offense going back to spring training because it's a HR or nothing offense, and too many times it would score 10 runs on Monday, but wouldn't score 10 runs the rest of the week combined.

I think I nailed this team on the head - I still think they will get it going somewhat, but they are not a playoff team. I see them in the low/mid 80's, but that is beginning to look optimistic.