White Sox Loser

whitesoxfan101

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can turn it into whatever you want to turn it into, but to say that injuries haven't hurt this team is just wrong.

I'm not saying that, in fact I agree that if this team was healthy they would have a better record.

If you build a house by the ocean, you shouldn't complain when a hurricane hits it.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anderson's OPS this year: .387

Anderson's career OPS: .532

Despite the career-high OPS in '06, Anderson still struck out 90 times last year (with only 30 walks) in 365 at-bats. Oh, and he can't steal bases either.

Erstad is clearly in the twilight of his career and his production has slid significantly, but it isn't difficult to understand why Ozzie didn't want Anderson starting in CF at the beginning of the season.

Ozzie Guillen was ROY in 1985 with a line of: .273/.291/.358

Brian Anderson's rookie year: .225/.290/.359

You say Anderson "only walked" 30 times, but that was in 400 PA's. Crede in his career year last season walked 28 times in 579 PA's. Just looking at Brian's ISoD (OBP-BA) you can tell he has a pretty good walk rate.

Guillen never drew 30 walks in a season despite having around 550 PA's a season early in his career.

Some people claim Guillen has a latino bias, but it appears he's harder on rookies than whities. Maybe it's because of that ROY award. :huh

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
In 17 at bats.

No, it's not. .632. And only 51 of those at bats were outside of 2006.

My mistake. But it doesn't change the fact that Anderson can't hit major-league pitching.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
Kind of a big difference when you drop someone's career OPS by 100 points.

You're right. I misrepresented data on purpose. :oldrolleyes

You crack me up. Anderson struck out in a full 1/4 of his at-bats last season, he only drew 30 walks, his average is laughably low, he doesn't really hit for power either, and he can't steal bases. But he was supposedly a better option than Erstad at the beginning of the season? On a team that was supposed to be competitive? LOL.

I have no problem with people criticizing KW for signing a cheap, broken-down Erstad instead of a more reliable veteran. I have no problem with people criticizing Ozzie for playing Erstad in CF and not using Anderson there as a defensive replacement. But at this point of his career, Anderson is worthless outside of his defense. Absolutely worthless. And I'm glad that he's back in the minors right now because that's where he belongs.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
My mistake. But it doesn't change the fact that Anderson can't hit major-league pitching.

You crack me up. Anderson struck out in a full 1/4 of his at-bats last season, he only drew 30 walks, his average is laughably low, he doesn't really hit for power either, and he can't steal bases. But he was supposedly a better option than Erstad at the beginning of the season? On a team that was supposed to be competitive? LOL.

I have no problem with people criticizing KW for signing a cheap, broken-down Erstad instead of a more reliable veteran. I have no problem with people criticizing Ozzie for playing Erstad in CF and not using Anderson there as a defensive replacement. But at this point of his career, Anderson is worthless outside of his defense. Absolutely worthless. And I'm glad that he's back in the minors right now because that's where he belongs.

What good does Erstad do you if he's on the DL or hobbled by a bum ankle? And I never said you did it on purpose maybe you shouldn't take s*** so personally. And what exactly is the difference between a strikeout and a ground ball to 2nd? Strikeouts don't bother me all that much when he's walking at a decent rate like he did last season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
What good does Erstad do you if he's on the DL or hobbled by a bum ankle? And I never said you did it on purpose maybe you shouldn't take s*** so personally. And what exactly is the difference between a strikeout and a ground ball to 2nd? Strikeouts don't bother me all that much when he's walking at a decent rate like he did last season.

Or maybe you shouldn't take veiled shots at people, since you have a history of being overly-sensitive to criticism.

Erstad has a track record of being a halfway productive hitter. Throwing out last year, which he missed most of due to injury, his OPS was around .700-.750 in '05 and '04. KW took a small ($750k) gamble on a vet who had actually been productive in the recent past. It didn't pay off, but Anderson's so freaking bad that a career bench player like Terrero took his spot.

What has Anderson ever done to earn his way into the starting lineup?

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)

If you're going by last year's stats to rip on Anderson, you really have a weak argument if the counterpoint is Erstad. Wasn't his average lower than Anderson's last year. I do think a lot of people make way too much of the 90 wins last season. First off, it was good for 3rd place. Secondly, they were 10 over .500 against the NL which was clearly a weaker league last season, WS win or not. As bad as you think Anderson is or was offensively last season, remember in spring training when Ozzie said he didn't care what he hit, only that he played good defense? Its interesting that Anderson's OBP was .002 lower and his slugging % was .001 higher than Ozzie's when Ozzie was a rookie and named rookie of the year. If he can't play, than neither could Ozzie.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
If you're going by last year's stats to rip on Anderson, you really have a weak argument if the counterpoint is Erstad. Wasn't his average lower than Anderson's last year. I do think a lot of people make way too much of the 90 wins last season. First off, it was good for 3rd place. Secondly, they were 10 over .500 against the NL which was clearly a weaker league last season, WS win or not. As bad as you think Anderson is or was offensively last season, remember in spring training when Ozzie said he didn't care what he hit, only that he played good defense? Its interesting that Anderson's OBP was .002 lower and his slugging % was .001 higher than Ozzie's when Ozzie was a rookie and named rookie of the year. If he can't play, than neither could Ozzie.

(1) Comparing Anderson/Erstad hitting stats to Ozzie's stats 20 years ago is like comparing A-Rod's hitting stats to Cal Ripken's.

(2) Prior to this season, Erstad has hit reasonably well when healthy. Anderson has not.

(3) Ozzie's comments about defense were obviously crap. I have no idea why he said that.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 06:15 PM)
Or maybe you shouldn't take veiled shots at people, since you have a history of being overly-sensitive to criticism.

Back the f*** off the personal s***, I didn't take any veiled shots, next time don't get your numbers wrong and maybe you won't have to be corrected. Why does everything have to be so damn personal with people?

I never even said I want him in the lineup just that I have no use for Erstad since he's constantly injured. I'll take a player in Anderson who is atleast going to stay healthy over Erstad who's going to end up spending around half the season on the DL or hobbling from an injury. This isn't about defending Anderson's offensive abilities, it's about him being a better bet to produce than a CONSTANTLY injured Erstad.

I'd take Terrero over both of them for the record.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)
(2) Prior to this season, Erstad has hit reasonably well when healthy. Anderson has not.

Too bad he's incapable of staying healthy.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
Back the f*** off the personal s***, I didn't take any veiled shots, next time don't get your numbers wrong and maybe you won't have to be corrected. Why does everything have to be so damn personal with people?

LOL, this coming from somebody who went nuts when somebody made a general comment about Soxtalk a week ago. And nice use of four-letter words to get your point across.

I'll take a player in Anderson who is atleast going to stay healthy over Erstad who's going to end up spending around half the season on the DL or hobbling from an injury. This isn't about defending Anderson's offensive abilities, it's about him being a better bet to produce than a CONSTANTLY injured Erstad.

The flaw in that argument is that Anderson doesn't produce at the plate AT ALL, not even when he's 100% healthy. I agree that Erstad misses a ton of time with injuries but he at least produces SOMETIMES. I'll take him and Terrero as a backup over Anderson any day. How Anderson even made the Opening Day roster is beyond me.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Erstad has a track record of being a halfway productive hitter. Throwing out last year, which he missed most of due to injury, his OPS was around .700-.750 in '05 and '04. KW took a small ($750k) gamble on a vet who had actually been productive in the recent past. It didn't pay off, but Anderson's so freaking bad that a career bench player like Terrero took his spot.

Having an OPS close to .700 isn't a good thing, especially if the league average is .743 (2005 average compared to his awful .696.) In 2004 his OPS was .746, which seems OK, but the league average was .770.

Even when healthy Grinderstad isn't an average player in recent years.

A basic OPS detail chart:

.500 or less=you hit like a girl

.550=warm up the bus and send them to the closest minor league affiliate

.600=you better be able to defend many positions and run coming off the bench, or see the last one

.650=you better be able to hit for average and/or run and not starting, unless your an epic great fielder

.700=slightly below average, can get by as a starter, especially if they can run and/or field

.750=average

.800=slighty above average, usually means they either slug or walk a bit better than the usual player.

.850=above average player

.900=about a top 30 player

.950=about a top 20 player

1.000=about a top 10 player

1.050 or more=1990's Frank Thomas

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I think I like the idea of a runnign "White Sox loser" thread. How long can it go?!

4 hits. 9 innings. Paul Maholm.

Andy Gonzalez goes up, 2 outs, bases loaded in the 9th, 2 guys before him both have walked, and he swings at the first freaking pitch.

Wow.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 01:58 AM)
I think I like the idea of a runnign "White Sox loser" thread. How long can it go?!

4 hits. 9 innings. Paul Maholm.

Andy Gonzalez goes up, 2 outs, bases loaded in the 9th, 2 guys before him both have walked, and he swings at the first freaking pitch.

Wow.

These guys can't play smart baseball if it knocked them between the eyes right now. They are a bunch of individuals going through their own motions and f*** the team.

It's about to get really, really ugly if they don't come back and win the next two... mark my words on this one.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)
I can't believe Ozzie is actually contemplating using Andy Gonzalez at 3B over Fields.

Where's this from? The press conference? Fields looked great today. Sure, he struck out in the ninth, but he didn't look bad while doing so, he just couldn't catch up to the heat. And I am sure those 3 line drives (one for an out) were so much worse then Andy Gonzalez's suckiness.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
Where's this from? The press conference? Fields looked great today. Sure, he struck out in the ninth, but he didn't look bad while doing so, he just couldn't catch up to the heat. And I am sure those 3 line drives (one for an out) were so much worse then Andy Gonzalez's suckiness.

I'm looking for the quote but can't find the thread for whatever reason but a few days ago Ozzie said he hasn't decided who he's going to use at 3B just yet. It was between Gonzalez, Mackowiak and Fields.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:02 PM)
These guys can't play smart baseball if it knocked them between the eyes right now. They are a bunch of individuals going through their own motions and f*** the team.

It's about to get really, really ugly if they don't come back and win the next two... mark my words on this one.

I hope it gets ugly, for real.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
Which is better though?

wilsonbillingsleywn4.jpg wilsonbillingsley1vf9.jpg

The one on the left. I just feel drunk and dizzy looking at the one on the right. It makes me want to move my head around as if I was looking at one of those 3D holograms. The avy would be way more impressive if you put two-face in a Sox hat/uni.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
Which is better though?

wilsonbillingsleywn4.jpg wilsonbillingsley1vf9.jpg

I think the half and half one. With the mixture one, people might get confused and think it is one of the dodger's prospects that they never seen before.