Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That article makes it sound like Ozzie isn't planning on Buehrle being here much longer. In reality, I think this who saga will really make the Sox look bad to the casual fan that doesn't follow things closely. Rather, the fan that reads the Sun Times, etc., every day is going to be really upset if they find out they couldn't reach a deal with Buehrle.

If the Sox do let Buehrle go, we need to let Contreras, Iguchi, Dye, and Thome go also, as it means we're in full rebuilding mode. I just hope KW doesn't act like a pussy.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)
If the Sox do let Buehrle go, we need to let Contreras, Iguchi, Dye, and Thome go also, as it means we're in full rebuilding mode. I just hope KW doesn't act like a pussy.

Agree, I fear he won't go full fledge.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:57 PM)
If I knew what Taligeter Jow meant, I would get even more pissed. This is why I hate WSI.

They call him 'Tailgunner' Joe. They rip on him there mostly because he allegedly became a member of WSI and was ripping on mods and others. They also don't like him due to him ripping on guys after they leave ala Mariotti.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
KW only has two years on his contract. Then maybe the return of Dombrowski :pray

I have a feeling KW is gonna be the Jerry Krause of baseball. We saw what Krause did with the Bulls after they dismantled that team. I think that is what we are gonna get with KW.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
I have a feeling KW is gonna be the Jerry Krause of baseball. We saw what Krause did with the Bulls after they dismantled that team. I think that is what we are gonna get with KW.

Mr. Reinsdorf is a business man. And if we go from 50+ sellouts to a sea of empty seats in two years, I don't he will endorse KW any longer. The Bulls still sold some tickets during the dry years. The Cell will be empty is dry years are coming.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)
Mr. Reinsdorf is a business man. And if we go from 50+ sellouts to a sea of empty seats in two years, I don't he will endorse KW any longer. The Bulls still sold some tickets during the dry years. The Cell will be empty is dry years are coming.

I hope he wouldn't, but if people don't show up, he won't spend the money. That's how it's been. All I'm saying is KW has 2 years left, that maybe too long. He can do alot of damge in 2 years.

The Mets sweeping the DH today probably lessens their need for Buehrle just a little bit. I'm hoping that Kuo pitches poorly for the Dodgers tonight.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 03:19 AM)
I hope he wouldn't, but if people don't show up, he won't spend the money. That's how it's been. All I'm saying is KW has 2 years left, that maybe too long. He can do alot of damge in 2 years.

If this makes you feel better, there's very little any GM could do over the next few years to get us back into the playoffs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:21 PM)
If this makes you feel better, there's very little any GM could do over the next few years to get us back into the playoffs.

IF we are basing that on the current White Sox situation, you are absolutely right. But somebody put us in this hole, and left us with empty minor leagues.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:21 PM)
The Mets sweeping the DH today probably lessens their need for Buehrle just a little bit. I'm hoping that Kuo pitches poorly for the Dodgers tonight.

Kuo is already having problems. Through 2 innings he's thrown 43 pitches. 1 ER, 1 H, 2 BB, 2 K.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 03:23 AM)
IF we are basing that on the current White Sox situation, you are absolutely right. But somebody put us in this hole, and left us with empty minor leagues.

True, but it's been a perfect storm though with our aging guys all hitting the wall at once, etc. This team should have been better this year, and then we were going into rebuilding mode after this year anyways.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)

Reinsdorf will not have the team thru another drought-like his basketball team went thru similarly. He's old and the past few years have paid for the retirement fund. When he goes KW goes.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)

It seems pretty likely that Buehrle is gone. After Zito, he's not going to sign a 4 year $60M contract. I can only think this was an elaborate pantomime by the Sox front office to save face. Trading him for a B prospect or taking 2 draftees picked by the Sox scouts is probably a toss up. After this media fiasco, they probably have to move just to end this circus.

I agree the Sox should rip everything up. Trade anyone other than Danks that can get a decent return. They need to trade Jenks. He's the one guy that would get actual big league talent in return and the Sox won't be needing him. He's a free agent in 3 years, and the Sox won't be in contention before that period is done. They need to move him now before his health fails.

Edited by hitlesswonder

Someone help me understand this. We won't give a 5 year contract to a 28 year old (Buehrle) who has been our Ace for the last 6 years, But we will gave a guy who is supposedly 35 (JC) and has been about a .500 pitcher for us, a 3 year extension,and we give another 3 year extension to a guy who is gonna be 31 (JV) and who is a mental midget who isn't even a career .500 pitcher. And next year we will be going through all this again cause JG who is only 27, is gonna be in his contract year, and he's gonna want a 5 year deal. I would think an organization would want to build a staff around the young guys who have proven they are winners. To me this organization is just ass backwards. We are trying to build a staff around the backend of our rotation instead of the front. It just doesn't make much sense to me at all.

Wow...I've seen some pessimism on this board...especially prior to 2005, but for the love of all that's holy...you do realize that KW BUILT the 2005 team. Now, just two years later, after a 90 win season and a bunch of players that are underachieving.

I understand the anger and frustration, but I don't understand the little faith in the front office. No GM is 100% right...in fact, they probably aren't even 80% right.

But, before you lump Kenny in with Bowden, Krivsky and LaMar...let's see what happens.

For all we know, they are waiting until the get back from the road trip so Reinsdorf can meet with Buerhle in person.

All I'm saying is...just wait. If he doesn't get good players THEN you can crucify him.

Kuo just gave up a 3 run blast to Kevin Kuz. Making it a 5-2 Padres lead in the 4th. Kuo has some serious control problems and isn't going to make it through 5. The Dodgers Starting Pitching woes continue . . .

And a Brian Giles infield single ends Kuo's night after only 3.1 IP. 6 H, 7 ER, 3 BB, 3 K and 89 pitches over a very short outing. What an absolutely terrible performance by the lefty.

With Billingsley going on Sunday, a bad outing could send the Dodgers into desperation mode.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
Someone help me understand this. We won't give a 5 year contract to a 28 year old (Buehrle) who has been our Ace for the last 6 years, But we will gave a guy who is supposedly 35 (JC) and has been about a .500 pitcher for us, a 3 year extension,and we give another 3 year extension to a guy who is gonna be 31 (JV) and who is a mental midget who isn't even a career .500 pitcher. And next year we will be going through all this again cause JG who is only 27, is gonna be in his contract year, and he's gonna want a 5 year deal. I would think an organization would want to build a staff around the young guys who have proven they are winners. To me this organization is just ass backwards. We are trying to build a staff around the backend of our rotation instead of the front. It just doesn't make much sense to me at all.

QFT. I agree with everything that you have said right here. I think they are taking a HUGE step backwards if they trade Buehrle. I hope Kenny knows (in his little Stanford head) that trading a liability such as Jose Contreras would help re-tool instead of trading Buehrle. I mean, the fact is that, yes, the payroll is going to rise next year, but it'd be better than sitting here with the crap I see out on that field. I am very happy that Dye will be gone and I hope that he dumps the Count. But trading Buehrle would be a very bad idea. Who knows, I may be wrong?

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
I mean, the fact is that, yes, the payroll is going to rise next year, but it'd be better than sitting here with the crap I see out on that field.

I think you'll see something different on the field. At the least I expect Fields, Sweeney, and Richar to be starting and the Floyd and Gonzalez to be in the rotation. And there will likely be more changes. I would expect payroll to drop down to $80M next season rather than rise.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
QFT. I agree with everything that you have said right here. I think they are taking a HUGE step backwards if they trade Buehrle. I hope Kenny knows (in his little Stanford head) that trading a liability such as Jose Contreras would help re-tool instead of trading Buehrle. I mean, the fact is that, yes, the payroll is going to rise next year, but it'd be better than sitting here with the crap I see out on that field. I am very happy that Dye will be gone and I hope that he dumps the Count. But trading Buehrle would be a very bad idea. Who knows, I may be wrong?

How would the pay roll increase next year?