Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
I thought that the player knows the team AND amount of the highest bid in the posting system. If that's the case, he would've had plenty of say as to which team he would accept a bid from.

Whoever bids the most money gets to negotiate with the player. No choice for the player. It's the team that posts him, sells him. Kind of like a couch doesn't have the right to say, "Don't sell me to him!"

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
Whoever bids the most money gets to negotiate with the player. No choice for the player. It's the team that posts him, sells him. Kind of like a couch doesn't have the right to say, "Don't sell me to him!"

My understanding is that the player has to accept the bid before the MLB team has the right to negotiate with the player. If, say, the Reds won the bid to negotiate with Ichiro and he didn't want to play there, Ichiro could've said "no thanks."

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 04:30 PM)
My understanding is that the player has to accept the bid before the MLB team has the right to negotiate with the player. If, say, the Reds won the bid to negotiate with Ichiro and he didn't want to play there, Ichiro could've said "no thanks."

If he says "no thanks" then he has to go back to Japan for another year, he can't pick which bid he wants to accept.

If we offer the most money(and everything else fits with his personal media circus and sponsorship deals), I see no reason why Ichiro wouldn't play for us. And please don't give me the "wants to play for a winner" crap.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
If he says "no thanks" then he has to go back to Japan for another year, he can't pick which bid he wants to accept.

Ah, so if the bid OR the contract offer are rejected, he's not eligible to transfer for another year? I thought that he was only ineligible to go to MLB that year if the winning bidder couldn't sign him to a contract. But I guess that makes sense.

I'll bet that Seattle bid high because they knew that he'd be much more likely to play there than, say, in Milwaukee.

Edited by WCSox

i didnt mean stir up a ichrio talk but what I was saying if we spend all money buerhle how will that effect our offseason? I mean we going bring back pods? erstad? what about uribe? the bullpen? If floyd keep up what he is doing just saying he could take buerhles place

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
Did you see the new tits that Jodie Sweetin bought with her meth money?

:lol:

Where's the proof?

What show did she play on again? Was she another "Full House" girl?

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
i didnt mean stir up a ichrio talk but what I was saying if we spend all money buerhle how will that effect our offseason? I mean we going bring back pods? erstad? what about uribe? the bullpen? If floyd keep up what he is doing just saying he could take buerhles place

PODS!!!!!! The Etnernal White Sox. That might be where the term "White Sucks" comes from by non-Chicago people.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 04:50 PM)
Did you see the new tits that Jodie Sweetin bought with her meth money?

That rack will be especially helpful in drawing attention away from her mouth after all of the meth has caused her teeth to fall out.

Back more toward topic; Anybody aware of any players that might be coming from Japan next year that might interest the Sox? Like the White Sox, I generally don't follow baseball over there.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
1. The Mariners didn't sign him as a free agent. He was "posted" like Matsuzaka. Ichiro may or may not have signed because of the city, too, but he had no choice, really, except between that of MLB or Japan.

2. He probably wouldn't come to Chicago unless we can prove we will compete to him. He wants a winner.

3. As for money, he really does pay for himself, but I understand the concerns.

He was posted quite a while back though. After his original 3 year, $14 million deal with Seattle (who won the bidding process), he re-upped with them for 4 years, $44 million. So in essence, he did in fact choose Seattle back in 2004.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 05:36 PM)
He was posted quite a while back though. After his original 3 year, $14 million deal with Seattle (who won the bidding process), he re-upped with them for 4 years, $44 million. So in essence, he did in fact choose Seattle back in 2004.

I suppose that's right, but he'd experienced much success with them and felt comfortable that they were serious about winning. Now? Not so much.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 06:26 PM)
I suppose that's right, but he'd experienced much success with them and felt comfortable that they were serious about winning. Now? Not so much.

I don't know if you've noticed but Seattle has a lot of young players and a solid 42-33 record. They probably have a better shot at the playoffs next year with him than the White Sox would with him.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
I don't know if you've noticed but Seattle has a lot of young players and a solid 42-33 record. They probably have a better shot at the playoffs next year with him than the White Sox would with him.

that all depends if KW can re-sign Buerhle and upgrade the pen and offense. If im a free agent, i go the team w/ the best starting pitching, thats what JD did when we signed him in 2005.

They're better than most expected, that's for sure, but Ichiro's had some negative things (by Japanese standards) to say about Seattle, so who knows.