Curtis Granderson's assault on a 93 year old AL record

whitesoxfan101

Well hey, if that thread title doesn't get your attention, nothing will. Granderson triped off the right field wall tonight, his 15th triple in the Tigers 80th game. The NL and MLB record is 36, set in 1912 by the Pirates Chief Wilson, and that one appears safe. However, the AL record for triples is 26, set by "Shoeless" Joe Jackson for the 1912 Cleveland Naps and tied by "Wahoo" Sam Crawford in 1914 for, of all teams, the Detroit Tigers.

You can see where I'm going with this....Granderson is on pace right now to finish with 30 triples and break the seemingly untouchable record. Since 1950, the most AL triples in a season is 21 by Willie Wilson of the 1985 Royals, for more perspective. I am shocked that nobody seems to be noticing this either, since everybody always b****es how speed is dying in baseball, and I hope the pride of Blue Island and UIC breaks the record.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

comerica is maybe the most triple friendly park in the bigs, that said 15 triples is still ridiculous...i believe that would have led the majors in like the last 5 years.....either way comerica isnt as triple friendly as parks back in the day were, so what granderson is doign is nuts....hes 4th in the league in slugging (mainly because of those triples, but his 22 doubles would easily lead the white sox as well)...hes on pace for 45 doubles, 22 homers, 31 triples, 18 SBs, 118 R, and 84 RBI......and hes 26 and bats leadoff....give this guy some more national pub,

i can't believe leyland took sizemore over granderson this year....and why are all the "final vote roster spots" pitching this year?

Edited by daa84

Granderson is probably one of my favorite players to watch in all of baseball. And one of my favorites period, because he helps prove that slugging percentage is just as important as on base percentage for a leadoff hitter.

And the inside the park home run is the most exciting in my mind; it just doesn't happen often.

Granderson should be an all-star, hands down. He's also doing something like only like 5 or 6 players in quite a while have done before the all star break. The "Triple-Double" as they call it, I guess. Double Digit Homers, Doubles, and Triples.

He's fast, but not blazing Carl Crawford type fast. Just shows what hustling all the way can do for you.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
I thought I was the only one who noticed. ;)

I saw that, and then I saw it was assault, but then I saw assult on a 93 year old... he did a real good job of titling this thread, didn't he? Everyone is bound to click on it.

QUOTE(Bonderman38 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 06:02 PM)
Granderson should be an all-star, hands down. He's also doing something like only like 5 or 6 players in quite a while have done before the all star break. The "Triple-Double" as they call it, I guess. Double Digit Homers, Doubles, and Triples.

He's fast, but not blazing Carl Crawford type fast. Just shows what hustling all the way can do for you.

he is like a grinder, but good.

seems to be mediocre acceleration but a very good top speed, because he is fast as hell.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?p=931562

• 1 month later...
QUOTE(Bonderman38 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 01:06 AM)
Granderson is really threatening the 20-20-20-20

2 triples a couple nights ago brings him to 21.

An inside the park homer today brings him to 17.

A stolen base today brings him to 16. And he had the doubles long ago.

Dude is simply amazing.