Now it's limited no-trade?

BurlyMan56

White Sox GM Ken Williams said Monday that his latest offer to Mark Buehrle includes no-trade protection except for in an 18-month window in the middle of the deal.

We assume that window will be closed by Buehrle's 10-and-5 rights when he reaches 10 years of service time during the 2010 season. Still, Buehrle should insist on a full no-trade clause if he's going to accept a below-market deal. After all, if he's traded during the window, he'll lose his potential 10-and-5 rights on his new team. Williams may know this, which is why he's opted to tell the media about his offer. If Buehrle turns it down, at least everyone will know Williams tried. Jul. 3 - 12:20 am et

courtesy www.rotoworld.com

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the Kenny comments on CSN. While he makes some valid points (players in the future asking for full NTC), a pitcher like Buehrle doesn't come along every day and he doesn't come with that discount. If Kenny doesn't think it's a tremendous discount at 4/56, he should just trade him and watch him get 100 million over 7.

All I know is I'd hate to be Kenny at Soxfest next year if Buehrle isn't under contract.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 01:12 AM)
I just watched the Kenny comments on CSN. While he makes some valid points (players in the future asking for full NTC), a pitcher like Buehrle doesn't come along every day and he doesn't come with that discount. If Kenny doesn't think it's a tremendous discount at 4/56, he should just trade him and watch him get 100 million over 7.

All I know is I'd hate to be Kenny at Soxfest next year if Buehrle isn't under contract.

When other players ask for it KW, and you don't want to give it to them, you just say no.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When other players ask for it KW, and you don't want to give it to them, you just say no.

You could lose a lot of potential free agents if that is the case. If other players see that you gave a full no-trade clause and you are not going to give it to them (such as Ichiro) then they would most likely feel like you think they are not as good as that player. That player will then go somewhere else where he feels more wanted. If they do give a full no trade to Mark then they will potentially have to give it to every big free agent they go after, or most likely lose out on getting the big free agent. That is a big risk to take.

this week long drama has gotten to the point where if the Sox don't resign MB or get a killing for him in a trade, I will question KW and this org. I have been a KW supporter for the most part, but if they end up trading him for a couple of B level prospects or a ML bench "grinder" type player, I will view it as a failure.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 08:57 AM)
You could lose a lot of potential free agents if that is the case. If other players see that you gave a full no-trade clause and you are not going to give it to them (such as Ichiro) then they would most likely feel like you think they are not as good as that player. That player will then go somewhere else where he feels more wanted. If they do give a full no trade to Mark then they will potentially have to give it to every big free agent they go after, or most likely lose out on getting the big free agent. That is a big risk to take.

Well KW could always point out to the free agent that if he's willing to take a similar MAJOR paycut to play for the Sox, both in years and dollars, and retroactively become a fan favorite and the face of the franchise, then he'd be happy to also reward that hypothetical free agent a no trade clause.

Apples and Oranges. In negotiations with future free agents this is pretty clearly not even be an exception to the 'no NTC' rule, it's in a different category altogether. There would not be much ground for Ichiro's agent or someone of the like to stand on in demanding a NTC because Buehrle got one. They're just entirely different situations.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 12:46 AM)
I'd still say no if I were Mark.... the guy deserves to play here for the next 4 years if he wants to.

Yeah, well Frank Thomas deserved to finish his career with the Sox. As Clint said in "Unforgiven", deserves got nothing to do with it.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)

Since when have we actually tried to acquire prime time free agents?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:29 AM)
Since when have we actually tried to acquire prime time free agents?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
Last I remembered was Joey Belle.

^^ Damn this site is slow today.. :huh

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 10:24 AM)
I know it wasn't exactly close, but didn't we "try" to sign ARod before the Rangers blew everybody out of the water in 2001?

They were never permitted to make an offer. JR and KW wanted to talk to ARod without Boras present. This didn't happen. KW would love to have ARod on the White Sox. I think he wants him more than Buerhle, but may be coming to the conclusion that it isn't going to happen so he might as well keep Buerhle.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 10:27 AM)
We absolutely did.

They tried to talk to him. An offer was never made.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
They were never permitted to make an offer. JR and KW wanted to talk to ARod without Boras present. This didn't happen. KW would love to have ARod on the White Sox. I think he wants him more than Buerhle, but may be coming to the conclusion that it isn't going to happen so he might as well keep Buerhle.

^. Is anyone else having issues with the site being slow today..? :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 10:42 AM)
They tried to talk to him. An offer was never made.

We wanted to sign him. We were one of the most interested parties and one of the favorites to get him.

Boras knew he could bs Tom Hicks and did so, getting him to bid some $50 million in excess of anyone else.

There, better?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 11:01 AM)
We wanted to sign him. We were one of the most interested parties and one of the favorites to get him.

Boras knew he could bs Tom Hicks and did so, getting him to bid some $50 million in excess of anyone else.

There, better?

From rumors the Sox have "wanted" to sign a lot of people over the years.

The Sox never made an offer. In order to "try" to sign someone, that's a pretty important thing that needed to happen.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 11:05 AM)
From rumors the Sox have "wanted" to sign a lot of people over the years.

The Sox never made an offer. In order to "try" to sign someone, that's a pretty important thing that needed to happen.

I don't want to get into these bs arguments about semantics that mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, and yet you continue to draw me into them.

Kenny wanted ARod perhaps more than any other player that has become available in his tenure as GM. The White Sox may not have made an official offer, but they made it known that they wanted to be key players in the bidding. Boras precluded ANYONE other than Tom Hicks from making any serious offer, as he spotted the sucker at the table immediately. Kenny "tried" to acquire Arod as much or more than any other player that has become available- I think that was the point of the question- not the formalities of the actual signing process.

AHEM. Anyway, am I wrong to feel some sort of optimism here that seem to indicate things aren't as dire as they appeared yesterday morning?

And another question (for us non-experts): even if a player has a NTC, they can waive that if they want, right? (Example: two years from now KW needs to trade for talent and the only way to get it is if Buehrle waives, so he asks Buehrle if he would. He could, right?)

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
I don't want to get into these bs arguments about semantics that mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, and yet you continue to draw me into them.

Kenny wanted ARod perhaps more than any other player that has become available in his tenure as GM. The White Sox may not have made an official offer, but they made it known that they wanted to be key players in the bidding. Boras precluded ANYONE other than Tom Hicks from making any serious offer, as he spotted the sucker at the table immediately. Kenny "tried" to acquire Arod as much or more than any other player that has become available- I think that was the point of the question- not the formalities of the actual signing process.

You don't want to, but you contine to piss on the wall then cry when called to the carpet on misleading info.

Whatever.

You win.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 11:22 AM)
AHEM. Anyway, am I wrong to feel some sort of optimism here that seem to indicate things aren't as dire as they appeared yesterday morning?

I don't think anyone knows.

It all depends on what Mark decides he wants to do.

An 18-month window? That's a heck of a window. Why wouldn't a 6-month or 3-month window be acceptable?

I still have no idea what to make of this, but the fact that Kenny finally acknowledged that they ARE talking right now and that he's "optimistic" make me feel a little better.