And That's A White Sox Loser

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 11:39 PM)
The competition level in the International League is brutal. There's a reason Timo is one of the top hitters in it. And I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere else, but Masset has allowed 51 base runners in his last 17 innings in relief. Besides for two games with the Sox, he might be the worst pitcher I've ever seen stay on the team for 81 games.

Out of the 10 guys the White Sox have used out of the bullpen this year, 6 have ERA's over 6.00. 8 have ERA's over 5.00. The only 2 below are Bukvich, who is not a major leaguer, and Jenks. I think I read where the Sox starters ERA was second in the AL, probably not after today, but KW just might have assembled the worst bullpen in team history. If Jenks second half is like his second half of 2006 it will be. He's probably the only guy in the bullpen who would make every other major league roster.

All those people who are telling me Gavin had the best stuff in our minor league system are still nuts. His stuff is maybe slightly above average, he has the presence of a woman with no arms on the mound, and he looked a lot like the Gavin I remember in Philly tonight. This seals the deal on the firesale, even Kenny knows he has to do it very soon after that joke.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 04:51 AM)
Out of the 10 guys the White Sox have used out of the bullpen this year, 6 have ERA's over 6.00. 8 have ERA's over 5.00. The only 2 below are Bukvich, who is not a major leaguer, and Jenks. I think I read where the Sox starters ERA was second in the AL, probably not after today, but KW just might have assembled the worst bullpen in team history. If Jenks second half is like his second half of 2006 it will be. He's probably the only guy in the bullpen who would make every other major league roster.

It baffles me that no one has been fired on this team. I know you'll agree with me that KW is so full of s***. All of his speeches about making changes, and nothing has taken place. Today should be one of the lowest points of this organization in decades. As the 75 year old lady sitting a few rows away from me said, "this is sad how far we've fallen". Amen old lady, amen!

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Sox are 4 1/2 games behind the Yankees for 6th place in the WC standings and only 3 games ahead of Tampa Bay for the worst record in the AL.

I know there are like 50 rounds to every baseball draft but does anyone know if there is a LeBron James of baseball in next year's draft? perhaps that's our best bet to rebound by 2010.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 11:39 PM)
The competition level in the International League is brutal. There's a reason Timo is one of the top hitters in it. And I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere else, but Masset has allowed 51 base runners in his last 17 innings in relief. Besides for two games with the Sox, he might be the worst pitcher I've ever seen stay on the team for 81 games.

But man, you should have seen him in the Mexican League.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:57 AM)
Damaso Marte: 26.1 IP, 10 BB, 30 K, 1.71 ERA

:ph34r:

LT

To be fair, I can't blame him for getting rid of Marte after the 2005 disaster (for Marte, not the team obviously lol), and Mackowiak has been a decent player for us.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
To be fair, I can't blame him for getting rid of Marte after the 2005 disaster (for Marte, not the team obviously lol), and Mackowiak has been a decent player for us.

LOL, completely agree with you. I just couldn't resist a post on a former Soxtalk poster child :D

SFF

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 03:15 AM)
32 runs today

All of them are the umpires' fault...well that and all the duck snorts.

I have never heard a duck "snort" before. I have heard them quack, but not snort. There was a lot of quacking going on in that DH.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
I have never heard a duck "snort" before. I have heard them quack, but not snort. There was a lot of quacking going on in that DH.

Well the actual saying from Hawk's playing days is "duck s***" but he changed it to snort to make it TV friendly. Although in the last year or so, he's been saying "duck fart" a lot more and seems to have found a happy medium with that.

I'm watching Floyd's start right now....that curve he threw on Morneu's homer was a pretty hard good curve. The only bad part you could say is it was in the middle, but the ball was down.

Either way I try not to grade guys based on one outing but I have noticed he now has a fastball that he can get that kind of sinks down below the zone which should help him get a lot of ground balls.

I just don't get why he's living on the outside of the plate so far in the game (I've only gotten through a couple innings).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)
I'm watching Floyd's start right now....that curve he threw on Morneu's homer was a pretty hard good curve. The only bad part you could say is it was in the middle, but the ball was down.

Either way I try not to grade guys based on one outing but I have noticed he now has a fastball that he can get that kind of sinks down below the zone which should help him get a lot of ground balls.

I just don't get why he's living on the outside of the plate so far in the game (I've only gotten through a couple innings).

The living on the outside of the plate I think is what allowed the Twins to jack him so much. AJ and Coop, seem to get into a pattern every so often when they call away away away, especailly with young pitchers to pitch away from Contact. When you have power hitters like this, I would like to see Floyd back the hitter off the plate a bit, then crack the curve off. This is the same thing we see with Buerhle from time to time. Buerhle is very effective pitching in, when he runs his cutter in he dominates. When he and AJ get into a pitch away from contact away away away mode, he gets rocked. Now Buerhle is in a different world compared to Floyd, but young pitchers like Floyd, like Danks need to pound in, and then go away with their secondaries. When you pitch to one zone, you give the hitter the advantage and you allow them to extend their hands and swing free and without fear.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)

It seemed like he must have thrown 70 balls out of the strike zone off the outside corner against lefties. And after watching replays, that pitch he threw to Morneau was horrible. I saw that Ozzie commented that he liked his velocity yesterday....just how bad was it during ST then? He didn't top 92 mph yesterday, and he got very, very few swings and misses.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
It seemed like he must have thrown 70 balls out of the strike zone off the outside corner against lefties. And after watching replays, that pitch he threw to Morneau was horrible. I saw that Ozzie commented that he liked his velocity yesterday....just how bad was it during ST then? He didn't top 92 mph yesterday, and he got very, very few swings and misses.

I saw him get a lot of hitters behind and in ST Floyd was pitching as hard as 95-96 according to quite a few reputable posters here that were watching the games both on tv and at the spring training parks (now those guns could have been loose).

I know I want to see him pitch the rest of the season up here and I'm not stupid enough to write him off after one start, even if it was a bad one.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 05:36 PM)
I saw him get a lot of hitters behind and in ST Floyd was pitching as hard as 95-96 according to quite a few reputable posters here that were watching the games both on tv and at the spring training parks (now those guns could have been loose).

I know I want to see him pitch the rest of the season up here and I'm not stupid enough to write him off after one start, even if it was a bad one.

Yeah, I want to see him stay up in the majors. He really has to improve his mound presence though....he looked scared to death out there. Garza's fastball was consistently at 95-96 mph last night though.

I ended up getting to the park late. Walking up the ramp, I hear that we're already down 3-0. As I'm walking down the stairs to my seats, I get to see Owens make the dumbest baserunning play I've ever seen in person. I just started laughing and knew I was in for a long game.

It got good when everyone started sarcastically cheering them being able to get an out, though.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
The living on the outside of the plate I think is what allowed the Twins to jack him so much. AJ and Coop, seem to get into a pattern every so often when they call away away away, especailly with young pitchers to pitch away from Contact. When you have power hitters like this, I would like to see Floyd back the hitter off the plate a bit, then crack the curve off. This is the same thing we see with Buerhle from time to time. Buerhle is very effective pitching in, when he runs his cutter in he dominates. When he and AJ get into a pitch away from contact away away away mode, he gets rocked. Now Buerhle is in a different world compared to Floyd, but young pitchers like Floyd, like Danks need to pound in, and then go away with their secondaries. When you pitch to one zone, you give the hitter the advantage and you allow them to extend their hands and swing free and without fear.

Seemed like Floyd did work inside against the righties, particularly Cuddyer. In fact, the 1st inning walk that set up Morneau's first homer was on a series of pitches up and in. Maybe he got gun-shy with pitching inside after that walk, I don't know.

here's a peachy stat:

It was the most runs scored by one team in a doubleheader since the Boston Red Sox totaled 35 in a sweep of the Philadelphia Athletics on July 4, 1939, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

....that's a 68yr record broken by a team that is two seasons removed from the World freaking Championship....