Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
If anyone has the time, and is interested in under appreciated horror movies, watch The Prince on Darkness. It's available OnDemand, under Free Movies/FearNet.

What a movie. It made me further appreciate the role of John Carpenter in the Horror/Action genre.

I saw it at the theater when it first came out, and it was fairly suspenseful and visually adventorous at the time (the water dripping up in particular, and the Prince getting closer and closer to being released as well). And Alice Cooper made a good evill bum. But in the end, the film left me pretty unfulfilled. Like I was waiting for a pitched climax that never occurred.

Now, Carpenter's remake of The Thing, on the other hand, that's an action/horror film that I've always felt was underappreciated. I always thought that if it hadn't come out roughly at the time Alein came out it would have made more of an impact.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (onedude @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
Rescue Dawn, The Machinist, Harsh Times, and The Prestige were all really good roles. He's in the upper echelon of actors, it isn't right to say he isn't a good actor. Overrated is a better word to use. He's only 34, and his best role is probably ahead of him.

Agreed. Also, add in there 3:10 to Yuma, he did well in that role as well.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
So is to say he is in the upper echelon of actors. I know it wasn't you, but it was said earlier.

He's as much in the upper echelon of actors as a Brad Pitt or a Tom Cruise ever was... what is your criteria? Ability to make himself cry? I think he's done that. Ability to land the lead high-grossing films? Only the highest grossing ever... a wide-range of accents and roles? He's done that too.

To say he's not in the upper echelon of current actors is to ignore reality. Christian Bale is the hottest thing in Hollywood right now. He's starved himself for roles, he's bulked up, he's played an every man, he's played the man... he's done it all.

This is as much an indictment on the current chaff the acting population is made up of right now, but regardless, Bale is incredibly talented, but if you prefer your Phillip Seymour Hoffman's that's your prerogative.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
...rescue Dawn, the Machinist???

None of his movies are truly outstanding and his characters generally lack depth. He's also become a whore for the big budget blockbuster movie. The fact that he hasn't lately been in any truly horrible movies (except 3:10 to Yuma) doesn't say much for his ability to act, it says something for his sense of a good script. He also doesn't have an Academy Award, nor a nomination for one. That might say something about his ability, or inability, to act a role that has a fully developed character.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
He's as much in the upper echelon of actors as a Brad Pitt or a Tom Cruise ever was... what is your criteria? Ability to make himself cry? I think he's done that. Ability to land the lead high-grossing films? Only the highest grossing ever... a wide-range of accents and roles? He's done that too.

To say he's not in the upper echelon of current actors is to ignore reality. Christian Bale is the hottest thing in Hollywood right now. He's starved himself for roles, he's bulked up, he's played an every man, he's played the man... he's done it all.

This is as much an indictment on the current chaff the acting population is made up of right now, but regardless, Bale is incredibly talented, but if you prefer your Phillip Seymour Hoffman's that's your prerogative.

Sorry, but I don't associate ticket sales or "hotness" with quality. Same goes for music.

I consider myself a pretty tough critic when it comes to actors, hate keanu reeves, and I enjoy almost everything Christian Bale does. The only movie that I thought was horrible was 3:10 to Yuma... and one of my other favorite actors, Russel Crowe, was in it too.... so blaming that one on the script.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
I enjoyed 3:10 to Yuma.

So did I.

I don't understand why Bale is getting so much crap around here. Do I think he's one of the greatest actors of our time? No. But he is certainly not bad. I would say his work in American Psycho and The Machinist is his best. Next, I would say he was good in Rescue Dawn, Yuma, and The Prestige. Then, you have the 2 Batmans and I'm Not There which weren't his best performances but neither of which took away from my enjoyment of the movie. And people in the film industry obviously think he is alright because he continues to get pretty good work. I can't wait to see Public Enemies.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)

Every American accent he does has a lisp that he can't overcome.

And to the second bold part, yes. I prefer very good actors like Hoffman.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)
I consider myself a pretty tough critic when it comes to actors, hate keanu reeves, and I enjoy almost everything Christian Bale does. The only movie that I thought was horrible was 3:10 to Yuma... and one of my other favorite actors, Russel Crowe, was in it too.... so blaming that one on the script.

Again, you're basing his ability on the movies he's in. Once he can carry a boring movie, as Daniel Day-Lewis and Philip Seymour Hoffman did in There Will Be Blood and Doubt, respectively, then I might start thinking he's a very good actor.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)
So did I.

I don't understand why Bale is getting so much crap around here. Do I think he's one of the greatest actors of our time? No. But he is certainly not bad. I would say his work in American Psycho and The Machinist is his best. Next, I would say he was good in Rescue Dawn, Yuma, and The Prestige. Then, you have the 2 Batmans and I'm Not There which weren't his best performances but neither of which took away from my enjoyment of the movie. And people in the film industry obviously think he is alright because he continues to get pretty good work. I can't wait to see Public Enemies.

A lot of terrible actors continue to get plenty of work. The fact that they continue getting hired says nothing about their talent, but plenty about the American public's awful taste.

None of his movies are truly outstanding and his characters generally lack depth. He's also become a whore for the big budget blockbuster movie. The fact that he hasn't lately been in any truly horrible movies (except 3:10 to Yuma) doesn't say much for his ability to act, it says something for his sense of a good script. He also doesn't have an Academy Award, nor a nomination for one. That might say something about his ability, or inability, to act a role that has a fully developed character.

you really don't think that the Prestige wasn't an outstanding movie? you don't think his character

s

in that movie had any depth? Bruce Wayne doesn't have any depth?

Rescue Dawn and Harsh times were not big budget movies by any means. I don't even think they cracked double digits in box office income.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
A lot of terrible actors continue to get plenty of work. The fact that they continue getting hired says nothing about their talent, but plenty about the American public's awful taste.

So, do you honestly think his work in American Psycho and The Machinist was bad? If so...I would like to know who would have done better with those roles.

Also, you are comparing him to 2 of the best actors around (PSH and DDL). Not a whole lot of actors can do what they do. I admitted he is not the best of the best but he certainly is not a bad actor. I would say is is above average at what he does.

He's also very dedicated to his work. He lost 60 pounds for the Machinist then had to play Batman just months later and gained 100 pounds for that. If he is good enough for movie people like Roger Ebert, Christopher Nolan, and Werner Herzog then I would like to know what makes you say he is bad actor. Do they have awful taste as well?

Edited by The Bones

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)

That really doesn't mean a whole bunch these days. He has been nominated for and won numerous other awards. And I tend to think he got shafted on an Oscar nomination for The Machinist.

Edited by onedude

QUOTE (The Bones @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
So, do you honestly think his work in American Psycho and The Machinist was bad? If so...I would like to know who would have done better with those roles.

Also, you are comparing him to 2 of the best actors around (PSH and DDL). Not a whole lot of actors can do what they do. I admitted he is not the best of the best but he certainly is not a bad actor. I would say is is above average at what he does.

He's also very dedicated to his work. He lost 60 pounds for the Machinist then had to play Batman just months later and gained 100 pounds for that. If he is good enough for movie people like Roger Ebert, Christopher Nolan, and Werner Herzog then I would like to know what makes you say he is bad actor. Do they have awful taste as well?

Don't get me wrong. I don't think he's bad, but I don't see him as anything more than pretty good. He definitely is extremely dedicated and a very method actor. And Ebert has been very lenient with his critiques in the last few years with his illness.