Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
Also, I thought you were talking about the best westerns of this decade or something. Unforgiven and Tombstone wouldn't fall into that category. And with the other two, I put Open Range higher than 3:10 to Yuma.

And Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday was probably the best movie character ever.

Eh, I was talking about generally recent westerns - stuff in the last decade or two.

And I can't disagree about Kilmer's role there, it was one of the best ever.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
Robin Williams is very good at serious roles, if people can get past who he is. Not just One Hour Photo, but also the remake of Insomnia from a few years ago, and a smaller role in Dead Again. Also, weird movie, but that one where Williams dies and is guided into afterlife by Cuba Gooding Jr (can't recall the name of it).

In Dreams. That is a really depressing movie

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)
Robin Williams is very good at serious roles, if people can get past who he is. Not just One Hour Photo, but also the remake of Insomnia from a few years ago, and a smaller role in Dead Again. Also, weird movie, but that one where Williams dies and is guided into afterlife by Cuba Gooding Jr (can't recall the name of it).

The Fisher King is another example of a very effective Williams in a more serious (if delusional) role. One of my favorite films.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
The Fisher King is another example of a very effective Williams in a more serious (if delusional) role. One of my favorite films.

I love that movie, Bridges is great(as usual) as well. Thanks for the correction Santo, didnt know what I was thinking

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
Robin Williams has been nominated for four Oscars (I believe), and won one of them. The man is a very accomplished actor.

Also, I just watched In The Bedroom. It was very good, and my man-crush on Tom Wilkinson continues to grow.

definitely....he will have an oscar really soon.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 02:06 AM)
Just got back from watching 'Doubt' and I think it's over rated. Streep is solid and the film overall is good. The woman who plays the boy's Mom completely stole the show in the 10 minutes that she's on screen. She is brilliant.

Viola Davis...

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
I wouldn't say that Ledger is a lock. Rourke is more of a lock, I'd say.

I respectfully disagree. Ledger has won almost every award known to mankind this year. If he does not win the Oscar it will be one of the biggest snubs ever and I would feel sorry for whoever were to beat him...awkward. Rourke, on the other hand, has only won the Golden Globe. If anything I would give the edge to Penn right now but I definitely think Rourke has a good chance. I might even throw Langella in the argument as well.

Also, I watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford again last night and it reminded me why I feel 2007 was a better year for films than 2008. I'm not saying that 2008 didn't have a lot of good films because it did but nothing that matched my favorites from 2007.

No Country for Old Men

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Into the Wild

There Will Be Blood

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days

These are some of my favorites not just of 2007 but of all-time. The only movies from 2008 that come close to matching these are Milk and The Wrestler. Like a said, there are many more good ones from 2008 (The Dark Knight, WALL-E, Slumdog Millionaire, Doubt) but nothing that I would rank among my favorites of all-time.

I'm the biggest Sean Penn fan you're ever gonna find, but I was not blown away by his performance in Milk. Then again, I'm measuring it on the Penn scale, he's been much better in other films.

By the way, did anyone happen to catch Rourke on Larry King last night? For whatever reason they brought some wrestler, doofus, Jericho(?) dude on the program. This guy challenged Rourke to a match and said he felt very offended by some things Rourke said about him. Seemed like it was all an act? Rourke kept his cool and took the high road, but that a hole wouldn't drop it. Weird.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
I'm the biggest Sean Penn fan you're ever gonna find, but I was not blown away by his performance in Milk. Then again, I'm measuring it on the Penn scale, he's been much better in other films.

By the way, did anyone happen to catch Rourke on Larry King last night? For whatever reason they brought some wrestler, doofus, Jericho(?) dude on the program. This guy challenged Rourke to a match and said he felt very offended by some things Rourke said about him. Seemed like it was all an act? Rourke kept his cool and took the high road, but that a hole wouldn't drop it. Weird.

That Rourke interview happened a few weeks ago. WWE was trying to work Rourke into a wrestlemania match next month, and at first everyone thought Rourke agreed, but on the Larry King show he backed out. It was a work by Jericho, you could tell by the way he was speaking and the way he was trying to call out Rourke

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 06:24 AM)
I feel the EXACT same way about Robin Williams and Eddie Murphy. They ruined their careers wit stupid movies they made.

For Robin Williams, that movie "Jumanji" was pushing it, but every other comedy movie he made after that was disaster. I think he's better at playing disturbed characters now like he did in "One Hour Photo" and when he guest starred on an episode of "Law and Order: SVU"

As for Eddie Murphy, his career went down the drain after making stuuuupid movies like "Dr. Dolittle", "the Nutty Professor", "Pluto Nash", and "Daddy Day Care". The problem with Eddie is that he's trying to entertain kids now instead of sticking with golden roles like he did with "Beverly Hills Cop" and "48 Hours". He's doing too much "forced comedy" with "cute" stuff rather than real funny sitiational comedy like he did early in his career. It seems like Chris Tucker is the new Eddie Murphy nowadays, because the type of comedy that Chris Tucker did in the "Rush Hour" series is the exact type of comedy that Eddie Murphy is an expert at and should stick with.

Anyone else agree?

Jumanji was freaking great. Nutty Professor was funny too (the first one) and of course Eddie Murphy was amazing in the Beverly Hills cop series.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)

I recently called Robin Williams the most underrated actor of my generation. He still cracks me up with over the top performances which ruin any serious consideration as a dramatic actor.

And jumping on the western theme late, would y'all consider Lone Star a modern day western? It has become one of my favorite films after moving to the border.

Finally saw Bull Durham a few days ago. I liked it a lot. Also watched Wild Hogs, and was surprised at how funny it was. At first I thought it was going to be an awkward mix of actors, and it was for a while, but overall, not horrible.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
Finally saw Bull Durham a few days ago. I liked it a lot. Also watched Wild Hogs, and was surprised at how funny it was. At first I thought it was going to be an awkward mix of actors, and it was for a while, but overall, not horrible.

I watched this movie a week ago on Starz and was surprised as well.

"Four counts of indecent exposure, two counts of lewd and lascivious behavior, and.............one count of absolute jealousy."

Also, another lesser known Robin Williams movie that showcases his talent is Final Cut. Like One Hour Photo he is capable of fulfilling the loner/creep role very well.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
I respectfully disagree. Ledger has won almost every award known to mankind this year. If he does not win the Oscar it will be one of the biggest snubs ever and I would feel sorry for whoever were to beat him...awkward. Rourke, on the other hand, has only won the Golden Globe. If anything I would give the edge to Penn right now but I definitely think Rourke has a good chance. I might even throw Langella in the argument as well.

Rourke actually won a BAFTA today, which are the British version of the Academy Awards and is the best predictor on who will win the Oscar.

And yes, Ledger is a lock for sure.

Edited by Sockin

QUOTE (Sockin @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 09:20 PM)
Rourke actually won a BAFTA today, which are the British version of the Academy Awards and is the best predictor on who will win the Oscar.

And yes, Ledger is a lock for sure.

Yep, I just saw that. Still...it's not a lock by any means. It's basically a flip of a coin now between Penn and Rourke. Rourke won the Globe and BAFTA. Penn won the SAG and Critics' Choice.