Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
Why did they call it history of the silent films when that was all that existed when you were an undergrad? ^_^

Because me, Milies, Chaplin, Griffith, Murnau, Eisenstein, Lang, and the other guys knew we were making history, baby!

Shut up that's why.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)
Oh c'mon, you didn't really go down that road, did you? It's your OPINION that Rourke's performance is one of the best in years and since I don't agree, then maybe I don't kow much about acting.

It's clearly A LOT of people's opinions too - and again, I meant no offense. It's not always easy to judge something like acting unless you have experience with it.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
It's clearly A LOT of people's opinions too - and again, I meant no offense. It's not always easy to judge something like acting unless you have experience with it.

And a lot of people would disagree, people who have a lot of 'experience' with acting. Look Rourke will probably win the Oscar. All I'm saying is it might be the best performnace this year, I'll buy an argument for that, but to say it's great, I don't know. I was not moved, didn't care too much for his character and he didn't do much to make me care.

I'm not offended by the way. I just don't like when people say that because someone is not some kind of 'expert' at something, they can't have an opinion. Kind of like when athletes say "Well he's never played the game so......" But I digress.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
And a lot of people would disagree, people who have a lot of 'experience' with acting. Look Rourke will probably win the Oscar. All I'm saying is it might be the best performnace this year, I'll buy an argument for that, but to say it's great, I don't know. I was not moved, didn't care too much for his character and he didn't do much to make me care.

I'm not offended by the way. I just don't like when people say that because someone is not some kind of 'expert' at something, they can't have an opinion. Kind of like when athletes say "Well he's never played the game so......" But I digress.

I hope that's not what I was saying - absolutely you're entitled to your opinion.

His job isn't actually to make you like his character - you either will or you won't depending on a lot of factors. His job is to inhabit the character and make him a living. breathing person that could exist in a real world. Often, you can judge whether or not an actor is worthy of praise if you can argue that no one else could effectively play the character as well as that actor, like a similar argument one could make for Heath Ledger this year.

Looking back at the Best Actor winners in the last 15 years, I'd say his performance in his the top 3 of that grouping (the others being Daniel Day-Lewis last year and Jamie Foxx in Ray) - but then again, it's just my opinion. Time well tell if the performance and the film holds up.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
That baseball movie called 'Sugar' looked interesting.

I've always been one one to enjoy documentary type movies.

Is it a documentary? I heard about it awhile ago. Was it at Sundance?

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
Is it a documentary? I heard about it awhile ago. Was it at Sundance?

Idk, has a documentary type feel when I watched the trailer, even tho it isn't. I don't know if it was at sundance.

No big name actors or anything and looks like theres some subtitles.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809922998/trailer