Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 05:15 AM)
Just got back from 'The Wrestler' and it's official, 2008 was a so-so year in film. Above average films and performances will win Oscars this year.

you say this for everything.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
Seriously. You've made a dozen posts debating whether or not to see The Wrestler and you how expect not to be impressed by it

Huh?

I decided to try see every film that is up for best picture, or other awards.

As far as The Wrestler goes, Rourke has a couple of really touching scenes with his daughter, besides that his performance is nothing out of this world. He might end up winning best actor, because honestly it might be the best performance of the year.

As far as all this 'comeback' talk, I'll wait to see what his next two or three projects are like before I call it a comeback.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
you say this for everything.

Is it not possible to be the best without being great?

'The Reader' should win best picture, but it's not great.

Penn or Rourke will win best actor, but neither performance is great......hell, Ledger was better in his role than both.

I'm kinda pulling for The Reader as well just to see the "best" movie be one critics had a mixed response on.

Saw Revolutionary Road last night and thought Leo was great, but the movie wasn't anything special. It felt like a 1950's American Beauty.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:16 AM)

Penn or Rourke will win best actor, but neither performance is great......hell, Ledger was better in his role than both.

Frost/Nixon should win best picture, but it sure won't.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)

No no, I don't care about the opinion, I thought the reader was a complete f*** up on the screen.

I'm saying you have this formula:

I just saw/listened to x, and it's official, x is a dead/avg product.

I don't necessarily disagree with you I was just musing. You complete me.

I'm going to see let the right one in tonight. I believe this will be the first Swedish film I've ever seen, but I've heard wonderful things.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
Just wondering, how many here have taken a film studies class and what did you think? Also, which department was it taught in?

Took a lot of them at SIU since, for some reason, I majored in it.

If it is a general class and not one associated with a major, could be fun. I have taken both. The class I took on Non-linear was great as well as the one that studied the history of Hollywood. Also took a Jean Renoit class, and some here will hate me for this, was bored all semester.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
Just wondering, how many here have taken a film studies class and what did you think? Also, which department was it taught in?

Of course. I took a few, and it depends on the professor and how dedicated he/she is to film. I personally enjoyed them. It was Communications.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
Huh?

I decided to try see every film that is up for best picture, or other awards.

As far as The Wrestler goes, Rourke has a couple of really touching scenes with his daughter, besides that his performance is nothing out of this world. He might end up winning best actor, because honestly it might be the best performance of the year.

As far as all this 'comeback' talk, I'll wait to see what his next two or three projects are like before I call it a comeback.

I mean no offense by this -- but maybe you don't know much about acting. Rourke's performance is nothing short of breathtaking in my opinion. One of the best in MANY MANY years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
I'm going to see let the right one in tonight. I believe this will be the first Swedish film I've ever seen, but I've heard wonderful things.

Ingmar Bergman is my favorite director of all time, and he's Swedish. You'd be doing yourself a favor if you saw Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, or Persona.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)

Well, I have a MFA in Film Production from USC................. so I've taken a few of them, and consider them great, if you have the right Prof.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
I mean no offense by this -- but maybe you don't know much about acting. Rourke's performance is nothing short of breathtaking in my opinion. One of the best in MANY MANY years.

Oh c'mon, you didn't really go down that road, did you? It's your OPINION that Rourke's performance is one of the best in years and since I don't agree, then maybe I don't kow much about acting.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 02:15 AM)
Oh c'mon, you didn't really go down that road, did you? It's your OPINION that Rourke's performance is one of the best in years and since I don't agree, then maybe I don't kow much about acting.

I think it is one of Rourke's best in many many years, but not one of THE best in many many years

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 12:14 AM)
Ingmar Bergman is my favorite director of all time, and he's Swedish. You'd be doing yourself a favor if you saw Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, or Persona.

Haha, you're right, totally forgot about that. I've seen Seventh Seal already. Awesome film.

Let the right one in, HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
Haha, you're right, totally forgot about that. I've seen Seventh Seal already. Awesome film.

Eddie: "Who's that?"

Billy: "That's Death walking on the beach."

Eddie: "I've been to Atlantic City a hundred times, but I've never seen Death walking on a beach!"

Billy: "It's symbolic."

Eddie: [makes face and pantomimes jerking off]

:lolhitting

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
I took world cinema and history of the silent films as humanities classes. I enjoyed the films and the subject matter of both classes but my silent film prof was a douche — gave me a crappy grade on a paper that was, naturally, quite stellar.

B)

Why did they call it history of the silent films when that was all that existed when you were an undergrad? ^_^