Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)
The ad campaign made me not want to see it... They had the stupid ads for it EVERYWHERE downtown.

agreed, I didnt know if I wanted to see it until I just saw that trailer posted above and now I do.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
Well...

Bonus for you then.

:D

Meh, if you really want to--it's not hard to convince guys to drop trou.

Although, I do think Jason Segel is the ultimate cutie pie.

I was flipping through channels after the game tonite and I started to watch the movie "Lucas" for the first time since I was in high school. Quite the cast, I didnt realize when i was watching when I was younger. Wynona Ryder, Jeremy Piven, Charlie Sheen, Corey Haim, Courtney Thorne Smith. Sometimes I just love watching 80's movies :)

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 09:12 PM)
I was flipping through channels after the game tonite and I started to watch the movie "Lucas" for the first time since I was in high school. Quite the cast, I didnt realize when i was watching when I was younger. Wynona Ryder, Jeremy Piven, Charlie Sheen, Corey Haim, Courtney Thorne Smith. Sometimes I just love watching 80's movies :)

Why the hell did Lucas take his helmet off when trying to make that catch?????

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 09:34 PM)
Why the hell did Lucas take his helmet off when trying to make that catch?????

I have no fu**ing idea. And the entire school applauds him for catching the ball and fumbling it away to their rival. It makes no sense whatsover

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 11:48 PM)
Saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall tonight. It was pretty solid, but different from Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad, ect. I do however have a brand new crush on Mila Kunis. What a babe.

Oh, and the nudity in the movie consists of full nude shots of Segel, as well as a fake picture of Kunis flashing.

The crudeness of the humor falls right in between Superbad and Knocked Up; however, this was probably my favorite of this series of movies. Absolutely hilarious.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 09:42 PM)
The crudeness of the humor falls right in between Superbad and Knocked Up; however, this was probably my favorite of this series of movies. Absolutely hilarious.

So many great one liners and funny moments. Definitely one of the funnier movies of the year (and one of the few movies I've seen the past few months).

Baldwin's lines in the movie...pure gold.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
So the wife rented "Dan in Real Life" for some reason last night. We turned it off after 30 minutes, as it was just about the worst movie I've seen in a while. Please tell me it gets better as it goes along?

I actually bought it on bluray when it first came out and have not yet to watch it.It was an impulse purchase among many others.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
So the wife rented "Dan in Real Life" for some reason last night. We turned it off after 30 minutes, as it was just about the worst movie I've seen in a while. Please tell me it gets better as it goes along?

It's a tough movie to categorize. It wasn't really a comedy (at least it wasn't very funny). I think it was just a story about a middle-aged father raising his kids alone and him trying to date again. I dunno, I didn't hate it or love it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
Forgetting Sarah Mashall was absolutely hilarious. I think it's Judd's best to date (yes, better than 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, and Superbad).

Right there with you. I might rank 40 Year Old a little bit higher, but I definitely like this better than Knocked Up and Superbad.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
Right there with you. I might rank 40 Year Old a little bit higher, but I definitely like this better than Knocked Up and Superbad.

That's how I feel greasy. It was overall pretty hilarious.

1 thing...

Could have used a little more female nudity...I know the penis adds humor and shock value, but there can be some excellent humor in female nudity as well. I thought the scenes with the girls at the beginning, when he was getting over the inital break up had the potential to be some hilarious parts, but ended up falling kinda flat.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
That's how I feel greasy. It was overall pretty hilarious.

1 thing...

Could have used a little more female nudity...I know the penis adds humor and shock value, but there can be some excellent humor in female nudity as well. I thought the scenes with the girls at the beginning, when he was getting over the inital break up had the potential to be some hilarious parts, but ended up falling kinda flat.

I disagree entirely.

Though I am a fan of female nudity, I thought avoiding it except for the Kunis pic in the bathroom was a good move, a different approach. Anyone can throw tits on the screen, most comedies do (including Knocked Up and 40 Year Old Virgin)... he went a different route and it was pretty interesting to see. An incredibly original film.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
I disagree entirely.

Though I am a fan of female nudity, I thought avoiding it except for the Kunis pic in the bathroom was a good move, a different approach. Anyone can throw tits on the screen, most comedies do (including Knocked Up and 40 Year Old Virgin)... he went a different route and it was pretty interesting to see. An incredibly original film.

I don't think

the brief nudity took anything away from 40YOV or Knocked Up and I don't think it would've taken anything away here. I'm not talking about the main characters scenes either. I just think some potenital funny scenes were missed. Scenes, where the sex itself is the joke, could have been taken a step further. There are a gazillion things that go wrong when you have a one night stand. Things don't always look like you think they're going to. The movie only touched on the people not acting like you thought they would.... No biggie, but you seem to be saying if there was a funny scene with boobs or something it would have changed the movie for ya....I don't see that as the case at all. Still a great movie...and maybe they had to avoid it because they were already toeing the line on the R rating.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 06:52 AM)
Forgetting Sarah Mashall was absolutely hilarious. I think it's Judd's best to date (yes, better than 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, and Superbad).

I really enjoyed it, but it didn't rank anywhere near those other three in my books. It just didn't make me die laughing like the other three. Still very funny though. Maybe I just like really crude humor and penises don't exactly shock me. Superbad>40 YO Virgin>Knocked UP>Sarah Marshall. Good movie though.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
I don't think

the brief nudity took anything away from 40YOV or Knocked Up and I don't think it would've taken anything away here. I'm not talking about the main characters scenes either. I just think some potenital funny scenes were missed. Scenes, where the sex itself is the joke, could have been taken a step further. There are a gazillion things that go wrong when you have a one night stand. Things don't always look like you think they're going to. The movie only touched on the people not acting like you thought they would.... No biggie, but you seem to be saying if there was a funny scene with boobs or something it would have changed the movie for ya....I don't see that as the case at all. Still a great movie...and maybe they had to avoid it because they were already toeing the line on the R rating.

You may be right, boobs certainly would NOT have ruined the film. I just saw the exclusion of them as a non-issue. Regardless, phenomenal film.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
I really enjoyed it, but it didn't rank anywhere near those other three in my books. It just didn't make me die laughing like the other three. Still very funny though. Maybe I just like really crude humor and penises don't exactly shock me. Superbad>40 YO Virgin>Knocked UP>Sarah Marshall. Good movie though.

It could just have to do with age. Based on your rankings, I'd put you in the 16-21 range (not at all meant as a negative, so please don't take it as so). I'm married and am 25, and I rank them as Sarah Marshall>40 YO Virgin>Knocked Up>Superbad... but I own them all and love them.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
It could just have to do with age. Based on your rankings, I'd put you in the 16-21 range (not at all meant as a negative, so please don't take it as so). I'm married and am 25, and I rank them as Sarah Marshall>40 YO Virgin>Knocked Up>Superbad... but I own them all and love them.

Ha, just pegged me, give me 5 months and I leave that range. :P

Superbad is one of the most overrated movies in recent history (right up there with Juno, which I know you all love, too). It is, by far, the worst of the four movies. 40-year-old Virgin, Knocked Up, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and then Superbad. The first two are close, and then there is a definite drop from 2 to 3, and a large drop off from 3 to 4.

Edited by Milkman delivers