Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Brian @ May 1, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
I just thought it was a fable themes episode, not necessarily a PB spoof. Can't believe that will be the NBC finale nex....wait, taking to Scrubs thread.

Especially since Princess Bride is somewhat of a spoof itself

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ May 1, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
I just thought it was a fable themes episode, not necessarily a PB spoof. Can't believe that will be the NBC finale nex....wait, taking to Scrubs thread.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 1, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
Especially since Princess Bride is somewhat of a spoof itself

This is per Zach Braff/JD:

I am sorry it has taken me so long to write, but I feel kindo silly posting without anything too interesting to say. I've also been stalling to talk about some big Scrubs news, however I've just been informed that I'm not allowed to talk about anything related to Scrubs and it's current fate. What I can tell you is that we are currently shooting 18 episodes for the 8th season. I am not allowed to discuss where one might watch them. (More news to come.)

But I can tell you that the coolest episode we've ever done is going to air on May 8th at 8:30(E/P). I directed it and it's a GIANT homage to "The Princess Bride". Dr. Cox has to make up a fairy tale for his son and he does so using everything that happened in the hospital that day. It's by far the most epic (and expensive) episode we've ever done. (Monsters, potions, evil wizards, giants, hunchbacks, gnomes – like "World of Warcraft", but Scrubs…)

Iron Man was excellent. I would recommend it to any super hero geeks.

P.S. Be sure to stay after ALL of the credits. That means the animated ones as well as the regular ones. You get a nice little treat at the end.

Edited by SoxFanForever

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ May 2, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
Iron Man was excellent. I would recommend it to any super hero geeks.

P.S. Be sure to stay after ALL of the credits. That means the animated ones as well as the regular ones. You get a nice little treat at the end.

A

Nick Fury

type treat?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
Finally saw "Cloverfield". Very disappointed in it, had much higher expectations. I was very surprised by how much I liked "Alvin and the Chipmunks".

Fathom, if I didn't like you, I'd question your manhood right now. But, I'll add that Cloverfield was probably a movie you'd have to see at a theater to fully enjoy it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 3, 2008 -> 12:24 AM)
Fathom, if I didn't like you, I'd question your manhood right now. But, I'll add that Cloverfield was probably a movie you'd have to see at a theater to fully enjoy it.

The funny thing is I have heard nothing but good things about Alvin and the Chipmunks.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 2, 2008 -> 06:24 PM)

Agreed. After seeing it in the theater I just don't think it could be quite as good on a regular tv. It is just a much different experience.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 2, 2008 -> 08:30 PM)
I thought that Iron Man was very good, but there was a lot of blatant product placement and the

movie pretty much announces itself that it is the first of more than one movie

That didn't really bother me.

I thought they did a very good job of establishing the characters and made a much more enjoyable movie than say, Superman Returns. I am actually anticipating a sequel after seeing this, not dreading one.

No Country for Old Men...good movie, interesting ending. Some great scenes in there with Bardem.

We Own The Night...loved it. The story was great and the car chase was one of the best I've ever seen. Awesome movie.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 4, 2008 -> 12:41 AM)
Just watched Cloverfield and absolutely loved it. Can't wait for 2.

I rented it recently and I liked it a lot too. However, I missed the thing falling into the water in the background which I suppose was pretty important for the story. I hope the premise behind a sequel is better than Blair Witch 2.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 4, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
I rented it recently and I liked it a lot too. However, I missed the thing falling into the water in the background which I suppose was pretty important for the story. I hope the premise behind a sequel is better than Blair Witch 2.

There were a lot of setup videos on youtube. They helped me a lot when I went to see it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 4, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
The LATEST Dark Knight trailer. Very heavy on Eckhart and Ledger, a lot of speech from both.

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=15813

Wow, it's even better than the first. Chills throughout.

Phenomenal.

My only disappointment with the movie is that Maggie Gyllenhaal plays Rachel Dawes. But then again, I haven't seen the movie, so I could be pleasantly surprised.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 4, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)
Phenomenal.

My only disappointment with the movie is that Maggie Gyllenhaal plays Rachel Dawes. But then again, I haven't seen the movie, so I could be pleasantly surprised.

I definitely agree (though perhaps for different reasons), she's just not attractive at all she's down right fugly. I just have a hard time believing SHE'S the girl Bruce Wayne can't live without.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 4, 2008 -> 11:29 PM)
I definitely agree (though perhaps for different reasons), she's just not attractive at all she's down right fugly. I just have a hard time believing SHE'S the girl Bruce Wayne can't live without.

Well, thats mainly the reason for my disappointment. As far as actresses go, she's probably better than Katie Holmes, but at least Katie Holmes is somewhat attractive. You're telling me you couldn't get an attractive, up and coming brunette to play Rachel Dawes in a summer blockbuster with Christian Bale, Michael Caine and the late Heath Ledger?

On a side not, I rented "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford." Anyone see it? Any good?

I'll give Katie Holmes one thing, she pulls off the loose see semi-see-through silky shirt look very well, something Maggie would have trouble with. Gyllenhaal doesn't have that fresh faced, perky breasted quality you look for in a leading lady who happens to be the love interest of Aaron Eckhart and Christian Bale.

As for 'Jesse James'; I saw it a few months back. Excellent story, well presented, Pitt is pretty good and Casey Affleck is outstanding. On the negative side, it's incredibly long and does tend to drag at times, there's also not a whole lot of action, the film is mostly dialog. If you have 3 hours to spend and you're looking for an interesting character story based on true events then it should be a good watch.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 4, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)
I'll give Katie Holmes one thing, she pulls off the loose see semi-see-through silky shirt look very well, something Maggie would have trouble with. Gyllenhaal doesn't have that fresh faced, perky breasted quality you look for in a leading lady who happens to be the love interest of Aaron Eckhart and Christian Bale.

As for 'Jesse James'; I saw it a few months back. Excellent story, well presented, Pitt is pretty good and Casey Affleck is outstanding. On the negative side, it's incredibly long and does tend to drag at times, there's also not a whole lot of action, the film is mostly dialog. If you have 3 hours to spend and you're looking for an interesting character story based on true events then it should be a good watch.

I think I'll hold off on Jesse James until tomorrow then.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 4, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
Well, thats mainly the reason for my disappointment. As far as actresses go, she's probably better than Katie Holmes, but at least Katie Holmes is somewhat attractive. You're telling me you couldn't get an attractive, up and coming brunette to play Rachel Dawes in a summer blockbuster with Christian Bale, Michael Caine and the late Heath Ledger?

On a side not, I rented "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford." Anyone see it? Any good?

I have to disagree on the Holmes/Gyllenhall thing. Not only is she a much better actress, she's also better looking than Katie Holmes IMO. But she has the similarities you'd want for a replacement character like that - the slightly downturned eyes, dark hair, dimples.

And on that Jesse James flick... being somewhat into western history in general, I thought the backgrounds, dialogue and sets were superb. The acting was very good as well. But the movie had no pace at all, dragged on way too long in places, and just wasn't very interesting. That was my take, anyway.