Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
Totally disagree. I thought the ending was great.

Signs > Sixth Sense > Unbreakable >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> His other two films

Meh. The "swing away" bit was cr@p too, but I know a lot of people thought it was brilliant. All the half-full glasses of water were already scattered around the house, but the film wouldn't have been heavy enough if the family just threw the DEADLY STUFF at the alien, Juaquin had to take the bat from the wall and smash the glasses to get the job done. :lolhitting

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 21, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
Meh. The "swing away" bit was cr@p too, but I know a lot of people thought it was brilliant. All the half-full glasses of water were already scattered around the house, but the film wouldn't have been heavy enough if the family just threw the DEADLY STUFF at the alien, Juaquin had to take the bat from the wall and smash the glasses to get the job done. :lolhitting

Did you see a different version of the ending than I did? Because as I recall, he hit the ALIEN with the bat first, it fell, the water got on it, THEN they realized that water did the trick.

No wonder you hated the ending!!!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Did you see a different version of the ending than I did? Because as I recall, he hit the ALIEN with the bat first, it fell, the water got on it, THEN they realized that water did the trick.

No wonder you hated the ending!!!

Yeah, I probably do have that timeline of events out of order, but that still doesn't salvage the ending. There was no surprise in the "surprise" ending since the guy who killed Mel's wife had already told him that the aliens didn't like water and that's why everyone else went to the lake. The ending was just a slow slog to the inevitable aligning of all the miscellany – the kid leaving the water glasses everywhere, the preposterously convenient alien vulnerability to water, the brother's failed baseball career, the kid's asthma, the dying wife's last words – all leading to the boring but happy ending and the rediscovery of the ex-minister's lost faith.

Yep, still leaves me flat.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 21, 2008 -> 07:32 PM)
The Aliens weakness is water. They are smart enough to travel across entire galaxies and they come to a planet where pretty much everything is 70% water???

I was actually enjoying SIGNS up until this.

Dude, the birthday party home video was the best part of the whole movie.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2008 -> 08:20 AM)
Joaquin Phoenix's reaction to it was hilarious.

That is true, him jumping back after seeing the video was good. Seeing the reflection of the last alien in the tv was also good.

A lot of people in here really missed the entire point of Signs.

The title alone has two meanings. Signs = crop signs, Signs = things with greater meaning.

Boy has asthma. Lungs closed so gas can't kill him.

Little girl crazy about water, hence dusty water left all over house.

The guy doesn't say WHAT it is that is the aliens' weakness, just that they figured out the weakness.

Phoenix swings away and hits the ALIEN, alien falls and bumps into furniture and water drops on him, which acts like acid.

Light goes on, morgan smashes all the water glasses.

This movie was quite brilliant, and folks who think the ending is laughable should go back and watch the whole thing from start to finish. Oh, and the party video was awesome. Phoenix's reaction was incredible. Yeah, if you get the events out of order, I could see why the ending might not make sense, but if you have all the info, there's nothing to complain about.

To each his own though. I'm not the least bit religious, so I wasn't offended, and I can suspend disbelief with the best of them as well.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 23, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
This movie was quite brilliant, and folks who think the ending is laughable should go back and watch the whole thing from start to finish. Oh, and the party video was awesome. Phoenix's reaction was incredible. Yeah, if you get the events out of order, I could see why the ending might not make sense, but if you have all the info, there's nothing to complain about.

To each his own though. I'm not the least bit religious, so I wasn't offended, and I can suspend disbelief with the best of them as well.

Yes, to each his own. M. Knight's "shock" surprise ending thing had really worn thin by this time. Rod Serling has been dead for 33 years but he could still write a better twist ending than the turkey of an ending they slapped onto Signs.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 23, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
It still doesn't make any sense for aliens to invade a planet that is literally covered in a substance that is extremely toxic to them.

No, it doesn't, and unless the only place thy invaded was Death Valley, the atmospheric humidity should have been sufficient to scorch their skin and lungs, right?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 23, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
It still doesn't make any sense for aliens to invade a planet that is literally covered in a substance that is extremely toxic to them.

Its a movie, it doesn't have to make sense

Also, why didn't the match end in a draw? They went into the final hole tied, the doctor missed his first putt and made the second, and then the judge hit his first shot. Chevy then missed his first shot and sunk the second, and the kid made his first shot.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 23, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
Also, why didn't the match end in a draw? They went into the final hole tied, the doctor missed his first putt and made the second, and then the judge hit his first shot. Chevy then missed his first shot and sunk the second, and the kid made his first shot.

I recently watched it, and wondered the same thing. However, I felt the movie was awesome and absolutely hilarious :P

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 23, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
So I'm watching Caddyshack for the first time, straight through, since I was a kid. And I must say, this movie isn't very funny.

You are insane. I laugh outloud multiple times everytime I watch it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 23, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)

From the google:

They put it behind a subscription wall, but Bill Simmons at ESPN.com addressed this question. If I recall correctly, his interpretation was that the additional bets that take place before the final shot (where Rodney Dangerfield ups the ante, and Ted Knight agrees) essentially wipe away the original bet and focus everything on the single remaining shot. Dangerfield says, "double or nothing he makes it," which doubles the original bet and focuses the bet on the final putt, not the entire game.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 23, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
From the google:

They put it behind a subscription wall, but Bill Simmons at ESPN.com addressed this question. If I recall correctly, his interpretation was that the additional bets that take place before the final shot (where Rodney Dangerfield ups the ante, and Ted Knight agrees) essentially wipe away the original bet and focus everything on the single remaining shot. Dangerfield says, "double or nothing he makes it," which doubles the original bet and focuses the bet on the final putt, not the entire game.

Awesome, thanks for the answer.

I honestly watched the whole thing, and I might've laughed out loud three times. And those laughs even felt forced.

It was probably hilarious back in its day, but I could've watched it without even cracking a smile. It was not funny.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 23, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
Awesome, thanks for the answer.

I honestly watched the whole thing, and I might've laughed out loud three times. And those laughs even felt forced.

It was probably hilarious back in its day, but I could've watched it without even cracking a smile. It was not funny.

Try watching Meatballs instead.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 24, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
I'm now watching RoboCop for the first time since I was a kid, and I must say that this movie is funnier than Caddyshack.

Kind of funny to see Red Foreman as a killer.

5598.jpgKurtwood_Smith.jpg