2007 Post ASB MLB Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the Braves gave the Mets their first round pick. Which as far as I can tell will be the #18 pick in the draft. Nothing like giving your main rival a top 20 pick and a pretty high sandwich pick. (possibly in the 30's considering how quick Glavine signed.)

I'm going to be seriously pissed if Matt Holliday wins the NL MVP today. I know there's no clear cut best player from the National League this season but I would have a problem with them giving the award to a guy who put up a road line of .301/.374/.485/.860 to go along with only 11 of his 36 HRs. There's a 300 point difference between his home and road OPS, how can you give the award to a guy who is merely "good" when playing away from his joke of a home ballpark?

IMO Chipper Jones and Prince Fielder were much better than Matt Holliday in 2007. Hell I'd be satisfied if Howard or Rollins are given the award despite not being "great" last year.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)
Oh, s***. The sportswriters on my College newspaper picked him as MVP of the Cubs last season.

They haven't lived it down with me yet.

f***ing Ryan Theriot.

Even though he was definitely a catalyst, it's comical how overrated he is by Cubs fans.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 10:07 AM)
Even though he was definitely a catalyst, it's comical how overrated he is by Cubs fans.

A few Sox fans said he "made that team go" and I told them to give me a f***ing break.

(On the paper, that is.)

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
He'd get 2x that on the open market.

if i were him, i woudnt sign any deal. he should test the fa market. i just hope he goes to n.l. or anywhere but the al central

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
I'm going to be seriously pissed if Matt Holliday wins the NL MVP today. I know there's no clear cut best player from the National League this season but I would have a problem with them giving the award to a guy who put up a road line of .301/.374/.485/.860 to go along with only 11 of his 36 HRs. There's a 300 point difference between his home and road OPS, how can you give the award to a guy who is merely "good" when playing away from his joke of a home ballpark?

IMO Chipper Jones and Prince Fielder were much better than Matt Holliday in 2007. Hell I'd be satisfied if Howard or Rollins are given the award despite not being "great" last year.

Rollins wins.

Personally, I would have had no problem giving the award to Holliday, even given the fact that he was merely a good player on the road. It's still impressive as hell to put up a .376/.435/.722/1.157 in half your games, no matter where you play home games.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 10:12 AM)
A few Sox fans said he "made that team go" and I told them to give me a f***ing break.

(On the paper, that is.)

The Chicagosports.com web poll had him over Uribe 3 to 1 a few weeks back. We all know Uribe's shortcomings, but to rate Theriot that highly over most shortstops is pretty weak.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)
Rollins wins.

Personally, I would have had no problem giving the award to Holliday, even given the fact that he was merely a good player on the road. It's still impressive as hell to put up a .376/.435/.722/1.157 in half your games, no matter where you play home games.

If he could manage a .950 OPS away from that joke of a stadium then yeah Holliday can have the award but .860? f*** that, the MVP shouldn't go to a guy who's a threat to be great for only half of his team's games. I couldn't be happier about Rollins taking home the award despite not even being the best SS in his division.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)
Rotoworld has a report that Joe Kennedy passed away. Google news has headlines suggesting that it resulted from a brain aneurysm, but none of the articles have any details.

That's absolutely terrible news. I remember a game he pitched for Tampa where the leadoff hitter got a hit and then nobody else did all game.

I found it...it was against that terrible Detroit team.

I've been reading a variety of books. Lots of train travel in the last week. Right now, it's mainly baseball and poetry. So the more I read about the World Series over the years, I can hardly fathom it. Earthquakes, weather, world wars, etc. etc. couldn't stop the World Series from happening -- but money did? That saddens me.

From Rotoworld via The Tampa Tribune:

Elijah Dukes was ejected in the ninth inning of Thursday's Dominican Winter League and had to be restrained from going after the umpire.

As if he was really going to make it through the whole winter without a blowup. "It got a little ugly," said Jesus Campos, the vice president of the Cibao team Dukes was playing against. "If it wasn't for (teammate) Andy Tracy holding him back, things could have gotten a lot worse. ... It definitely wasn't a safe situation for the umpire because (Dukes) is a big guy." The Rays may have lost their top suitor for Dukes with the Nationals grabbing Lastings Milledge, though we imagine Jim Bowden would still be interested if he came cheap enough. Tampa Bay has an opening in right field for Dukes with Delmon Young gone, but it looks like the team would prefer to go in a difference direction.

Hilarious