2007 Post ASB MLB Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to express my anger at mlb.tv for blacking out the postseason for those who had the regular season package and try to make us pay more for post season. Stuck at work and would like to watch Sawks/Angels.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 09:02 AM)
Peter Gammons went all crazy on Lebron today for wearing a Yanks hat to the game yesterday. I don't get it.

He's from Cleveland, he plays for Cleveland. Not a good PR move is all.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 10:14 PM)
Glavine not returning to the Mets, he had an option and declined. MLB.com article suspects he'll sign back with ATL or retire

I realize how he feels like crap about blowing that game and that New York fans can be dicks, but how can a guy over 40 turn down 13 mil?

He'll never get that $$ from anyone else.

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 6, 2007 -> 12:29 AM)
I realize how he feels like crap about blowing that game and that New York fans can be dicks, but how can a guy over 40 turn down 13 mil?

He'll never get that $$ from anyone else.

Because he's f***ing loaded and at this point, $13 mill doesn't do anything more than $7 mill will do.

He's been a good enough pitcher that he's probably set financially.

Some guys, they don't need all that money. Tim Wakefield, for instance, who took his contract that basically says FU to the MLBPA. Same with Buehrle. Glavine? I don't think it's like that per se. He really never wanted to leave Atlanta and was strongarmed into it by his loyalty to the Union. Now he knows it's almost over, his best friend in the world is almost done, too, his hometown team where he still lives wants him back -- it could, theoretically, be his and his best friend's last chance to win a title. Yeah, it makes sense that he'd say, "I don't need the extra money. I want to win, and I want to win a last one in Atlanta, with my best friend and others."

Or, perhaps, it's just a negotiating ploy.

On another note, I was at a poetry slam last night with a bunch of people, friends, and there was this Mets fan there. Very few baseball people, just two of us in fact, but I introduced myself to him as "a Braves fan and a White Sox fan." He said, "You bastard!" and love began. He talked about the Mets, I told him his team would be third for the next five years, he laughed and said "Not behind you bastards!" and we talked. Eventually, I said to him, "You know what? Let's go," and we took our stances, called three and wrestled. I brought him down and it was delightful. All before the poetry slam really started. And when it did, we all read. I brought Richard Wilbur and Lawrence Ferlinghetti's Baseball Canto. Canto, which I posted here once, is quite a poem to read aloud. I don't particularly care for it but I like reading it. If that makes sense.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
On another note, I was at a poetry slam last night with a bunch of people, friends, and there was this Mets fan there. Very few baseball people, just two of us in fact, but I introduced myself to him as "a Braves fan and a White Sox fan." He said, "You bastard!" and love began. He talked about the Mets, I told him his team would be third for the next five years, he laughed and said "Not behind you bastards!" and we talked. Eventually, I said to him, "You know what? Let's go," and we took our stances, called three and wrestled. I brought him down and it was delightful. All before the poetry slam really started. And when it did, we all read. I brought Richard Wilbur and Lawrence Ferlinghetti's Baseball Canto. Canto, which I posted here once, is quite a poem to read aloud. I don't particularly care for it but I like reading it. If that makes sense.

Talk about slash fiction writing.

:unsure:

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)

Cantu > Canto

So how much of that story was bulls***?

None. And I didn't even mention the part where George Mitchell came over and had beers with us.

Really, he said he was a Mets fan, and he was. I said I was a Braves fan, and I am. We flirted -- or, as you Americans call it, argued. And then we fought. Or, as we Frenchmen call it, tangoed. And then we read poetry. And we enjoyed the Rockies. And we sang a little song.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 01:44 PM)
I just received a spam penis enlargement email. The author's name? Willie Harris.

Group 4!

That's a faux Willie fo' sho'.

Willie don't need no penis enlargement.

The ladies say so.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
Ok folks Lew Ford was granted free agency by the Twins. What are the odds Williams brings him in on a minor league deal or goes ahead and signs him for a year, and yes I know Ford's been bad the last two years.

I'd rather have him than Erstad. At least he can hit from the right side of the plate.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
Ok folks Lew Ford was granted free agency by the Twins. What are the odds Williams brings him in on a minor league deal or goes ahead and signs him for a year, and yes I know Ford's been bad the last two years.

He's actually been bad for 3 years. He's really had only 1 good full season. Minor league contract is fine, but make him earn a roster spot.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 10:57 AM)
As I learned last night/today I will share with you

First, a Q:

Who, would you guess, was baseball's first "steroid"/"Performance Enhancing Drug" user?

Ty Cobb or Mickey Mantle.

I say Cobb just because he was a psycho f***, and Mantle because playing drunk and hungover always makes you better than playing sober, everyone knows that.