Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 01:29 AM)
I don't get why Kansas is catching s*** because they have been doing everything right.. how can you say they don't deserve it? They are 10-0, but they aren't good? Well when I look at the little #4 next to their name thats a pretty big statement for a team thats not even good. Someones gotta be voting for Kansas, how else would they get there?

I fully expect Kansas to beat Iowa State AND Missouri.. so far they have crushed everyone they have played at home.. and not just the non conference cup cakes either.. They have outscored their opponents 348-72 in 6 home games this year.. They will clobber Iowa State, and then Missouri comes to town and Kansas will win that game as well..

But come on Dan, Kansas is 10-0.. don't try to say they aren't good. And I hardly think blaming their success this season by not committing a big turn over in close games means anything. Thats more of a reason to just prove that they are good.

Wheres Missouri's big win though? Kansas doesn't have one, so where is Mizzou's? The only one I can see is the win against the Juiceless Illini who turned the ball over 5 times including a 100 yard fumble return and a game ending pick after driving down to the 22 for an attempt to win the game. Other than that game, Missouri has done nothing Kansas hasnt done.. well, except lose a game of course..

First of all, my not good statement was mostly in jest. Second of all, I never said Kansas didn't deserve their ranking. Third, you could easily make the argument that Kansas would be in the same position if they went to Norman as well. Also, Missouri doesn't go to Kansas, so stating how badly Kansas has beaten teams at home is irrelevant. Not to mention the best team to go to Lawrence this year is probably Nebraska. Seriously.

I wasn't 'blaming' their success on not committing a turnover. I was simply saying that they aren't dominating the decent teams they've played and a turnover in the 2nd half would probably result in a loss. Oklahoma State was the first team they beat on the road by 2 scores, and it was a one score game mid 4th at least.

Missouri is like Kansas in a lot of ways. I'm not going to compare the teams, but the resumes. Both teams came out of relatively nowhere this year (though Missouri was the preseason favorite in the Big 12 North), aren't traditional powers, and are in the BCS hunt. The biggest difference is the schedule. According to realtimerpi.com Mizzou's SOS is 24, Kansas' 66. Only 3 schools in the top 25 have worse schedule ratings. They are? USC, Hawaii, and Boise St. Kansas hasn't beaten a top 25 team yet, at least Missouri has Illinois.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
Missouri is like Kansas in a lot of ways. I'm not going to compare the teams, but the resumes. Both teams came out of relatively nowhere this year (though Missouri was the preseason favorite in the Big 12 North), aren't traditional powers, and are in the BCS hunt. The biggest difference is the schedule. According to realtimerpi.com Mizzou's SOS is 24, Kansas' 66. Only 3 schools in the top 25 have worse schedule ratings. They are? USC, Hawaii, and Boise St. Kansas hasn't beaten a top 25 team yet, at least Missouri has Illinois.

The reason Kansas SOS is worse is because of playing games they would have won anyways against D1 teams they played D1AA teams instead.. that is irrelevant IMO

And yes, I agree with you.. they wouldn't have beat Oklahoma either and I don't expect them too when they meet in the Big 12 Title game.. If you were saying it in jest, then no worries.. I didn't know that was the case

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 01:52 PM)
The reason Kansas SOS is worse is because of playing games they would have won anyways against D1 teams they played D1AA teams instead.. that is irrelevant IMO

I disagree there. The reason their schedule is rated poorly is because their best non-conference game was Central Michigan and they haven't played the best 3 other teams in the Big 12.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
I disagree there. The reason their schedule is rated poorly is because their best non-conference game was Central Michigan and they haven't played the best 3 other teams in the Big 12.

Thats basically what I said, they played terrible non conference opponents instead of mediocre ones they would have beaten anyways.. and yes, they missed out on Texas/OU

it doesn't really matter, all will equal out when the top three big 12 teams all meet each other in the last two weeks. Also, the game is in Kansas City, MO, not lawrence. I think if LSU loses their SEC champ. game, the big XII has a good chance o f having someone in the BCS championship game.

And also, shadows, our win against Illinois wasn't tainted because juice got injured. If juice stayed in I have no doubt it would not have even been close. Juice can't pass worth a lick, and its our pass defense that sucks. At one point we were up like 38-14, McGee is no scrub, he crapped the bed in the first half but the second half he looked great. And it was typical of our team early in the season to get big first half leads then we let teams get close. That can happen early in the season as we have a pretty young defensive backfield, so that is when playing D1 teams early in the season is more impressive than DII teams. You have won all the games you were supposed to, so have we. We had a tough road game in Norman against a really good OKL team and we had some really f***ing weird plays that lost us the game.

It's not a stretch though for missouri fans to feel pretty confident against you guys. In the games we've played against the games you've played, I'd argue we've won them more impressively. I think our 41-6 game against nebraska was more impressive than your 76-39 victory, I think our TTech victory might have been the most impressive behind the Colorado game. More than that, we have Chase Daniels, who has matured unbelievably this year and is fantastic when being rushed, the two best TE's in the nation, and one of the best WR in terms of all purpose yards (Maclin), and all the sudden Tony Temple has been out of his mind when he's had the ball.

But the point is, if Kansas beats missouri and OKL, they can be in the BCS champ. If OKL beats MU/KU they can be in the championship. If MIZZOU beats KU then OU, we can be in the championship. So I think that's pretty damn impressive for the big 12, especially in the year that the SEC just wants to pat themselves on the back constantly. I mean, this needs LSU to lose theirs, but still, I'm pretty excited. But all in all, I just want in Kansas' best football season ever, for mizzou to beat them and they won't even make the BIG 12 championship game, haha. May the best team win (M-I-Z)

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
it doesn't really matter, all will equal out when the top three big 12 teams all meet each other in the last two weeks. Also, the game is in Kansas City, MO, not lawrence. I think if LSU loses their SEC champ. game, the big XII has a good chance o f having someone in the BCS championship game.

And also, shadows, our win against Illinois wasn't tainted because juice got injured. If juice stayed in I have no doubt it would not have even been close. Juice can't pass worth a lick, and its our pass defense that sucks. At one point we were up like 38-14, McGee is no scrub, he crapped the bed in the first half but the second half he looked great. And it was typical of our team early in the season to get big first half leads then we let teams get close. That can happen early in the season as we have a pretty young defensive backfield, so that is when playing D1 teams early in the season is more impressive than DII teams. You have won all the games you were supposed to, so have we. We had a tough road game in Norman against a really good OKL team and we had some really f***ing weird plays that lost us the game.

It's not a stretch though for missouri fans to feel pretty confident against you guys. In the games we've played against the games you've played, I'd argue we've won them more impressively. I think our 41-6 game against nebraska was more impressive than your 76-39 victory, I think our TTech victory might have been the most impressive behind the Colorado game. More than that, we have Chase Daniels, who has matured unbelievably this year and is fantastic when being rushed, the two best TE's in the nation, and one of the best WR in terms of all purpose yards (Maclin), and all the sudden Tony Temple has been out of his mind when he's had the ball.

But the point is, if Kansas beats missouri and OKL, they can be in the BCS champ. If OKL beats MU/KU they can be in the championship. If MIZZOU beats KU then OU, we can be in the championship. So I think that's pretty damn impressive for the big 12, especially in the year that the SEC just wants to pat themselves on the back constantly. I mean, this needs LSU to lose theirs, but still, I'm pretty excited. But all in all, I just want in Kansas' best football season ever, for mizzou to beat them and they won't even make the BIG 12 championship game, haha. May the best team win (M-I-Z)

Uh, I hate Kansas.. I didn't mean to make it come off like I am a Jayhawk fan, but I just think they deserve more credit than they have gotten so far

And I personally don't think that Missouri is better than they are.. ill give you equal, but not better

then you are crazy, 40 pts for us on offense is a guarantee. We've played pretty damn well on the road, and if pig brown pics that bradford pass that was right to him, god damn who knows how that game would turn out.

I hope KU stays undefeated, it will be so much fun to beat the hell out of them. And, considering I don't think we can beat OKL twice in one year, I think it might be good we lost to OKL early. IF we play them again, especially on a neutral field, Look out.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
then you are crazy, 40 pts for us on offense is a guarantee. We've played pretty damn well on the road, and if pig brown pics that bradford pass that was right to him, god damn who knows how that game would turn out.

I hope KU stays undefeated, it will be so much fun to beat the hell out of them. And, considering I don't think we can beat OKL twice in one year, I think it might be good we lost to OKL early. IF we play them again, especially on a neutral field, Look out.

I guess well see soon

haha, that was a bit tongue and cheek. But what I've seen from this team since the norman collapse has been really encouraging. Never did I ever think when I decided to go to missouri that I would be seeing a top 6 football team. This is unbelievable, and more than that they are fun as hell to watch.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 12:24 AM)
So, there's a rumor out that Iowa State may have found a lead donor for it's improvements, and there's talk in the amount of $200 million. Just a rumor, but it's kind of a strange one to start.

I'd just love for it to be true.

They really are looking to sink the program over there. Lead (Pb) donor?

Having been to games at both stadiums, I'll never understand how anybody ever wins at LSU or Ohio State, and when you consider Zook has won at both stadiums against #1 teams (at eventual co-champ LSU in 2003 with Florida and yesterday of course), I give him a ton of credit. Illinois is going to be a problem for a while in the Big 10 though, Zook is building a team of all speed in a league that doesn't have teams with the personnel to handle it. Even Ohio State, at home, had problems with a Illinois roster that is still not nearly a finished product talentwise.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I heard somebody say they thought Illinois was gonna go to the Cap One bowl, and if not the Outback... I laughed a little and took a look at it...

Rose: Michigan/OSU Winner

Cap One OSU(if loses), Wiscy/PSU (with wins) (Mich would be 8-4 w/ a loss so they might fall behind a 9 win WISC or PSU)

Outback Michigan (with loss) Wisky/PSU/ILL (with wins)

Alamo: Will pick the lone remaining non-ILL team from the Wisky,PSU,Mich clan.

Champs: Illinois -- Champs gets a good team, maybe a better team than Mich/PSU/Wisky, but a team without the drawing power of those 3.

Insight: Purdue/Iowa -- Iowa has the bigger draw/traveling road show, but they've looked terrible in pretty much every game. $$$ wins out, Iowa will get the bid (as long as they beat WMU, which isn't a given)

Motor City: Purdue (as long as MSU doesn't win) an MSU win and they'll be the biggest possible draw here.

Indy's only route in is a win over Purdue, plus an Iowa and MSU loss

Northwestern's only route in is a win over ILL, plus and Iowa, MSU, and INDY loss.

Illinois needs MSU to beat PSU (plus a win over NW, obviously) to possibly get into the Outback or assure themselves of the Alamo. An MSU win also puts one of Purdue/Iowa on the outside looking in. In that scenario, I think it might be Iowa as the team left out, because there's no way that every bowl passes on an 8 win Purdue. Iowa would, no doubt, be snatched up in a second as an at-large by some crappy bowl.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 08:29 AM)
I heard somebody say they thought Illinois was gonna go to the Cap One bowl, and if not the Outback... I laughed a little and took a look at it...

Cap One OSU(if loses), Wiscy/PSU (with wins) (Mich would be 8-4 w/ a loss so they might fall behind a 9 win WISC or PSU)

Champs: Illinois -- Champs gets a good team, maybe a better team than Mich/PSU/Wisky, but a team without the drawing power of those 3.

Insight: Purdue/Iowa -- Iowa has the bigger draw/traveling road show, but they've looked terrible in pretty much every game. $$ wins out, Iowa will get the bid (as long as they beat WMU, which isn't a given)

Motor City: Purdue (as long as MSU doesn't win) an MSU win and they'll be the biggest possible draw here.

Northwestern's only route in is a win over ILL, plus and Iowa, MSU, and INDY loss.

Illinois needs MSU to beat PSU (plus a win over NW, obviously) to possibly get into the Outback or assure themselves of the Alamo. An MSU win also puts one of Purdue/Iowa on the outside looking in. In that scenario, I think it might be Iowa as the team left out, because there's no way that every bowl passes on an 8 win Purdue. Iowa would, no doubt, be snatched up in a second as an at-large by some crappy bowl.

With a win, Illinois ties for 2nd in the Big Ten. They're going to the Outback/CO.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 01:29 AM)

Insight: Purdue/Iowa -- Iowa has the bigger draw/traveling road show, but they've looked terrible in pretty much every game. $$$ wins out, Iowa will get the bid (as long as they beat WMU, which isn't a given)

Don't underestimate the possible Florida/Illinois matchup, in Florida no less, nor the draw of Illinois, as it has a rabid fan base that will travel and hasn't had a bowl game in 5 years. Why should Illinois be skipped over in favor of Penn St or Wisky this year?

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 07:23 AM)
If OSU wins, wouldn't Illinois end up 3rd? Same record as Michigan, but lost head-to-head.

Yeah I'm not getting this either - most of the bowl projections have Illinois in the Capital One bowl as Big Ten #2. Maybe because they have a better overall record than Michigan (assuming they lose to OSU and Ill wins against NW).

Either way I'm happy. I expected this team to win 5-6 games at most. They beat two top ten teams and a top 20 team. They barely lost a shootout to a top ten Missouri, and really they should have won the Michigan game but beat themselves. All three of our losses were close with a chance to win on the last possession. I'm so pumped for the next couple of years, I really think we'll have a chance to win a conference title or two and contend for a national title.

As for Juice, I've been on his case all season for his passing. I still think he could use more touch, but it's clear that when he's got the ball he can do some special things. What excites me most is that he's only a sophmore. We still have two more seasons to watch him grow and develop.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 08:13 AM)
Don't underestimate the possible Florida/Illinois matchup, in Florida no less, nor the draw of Illinois, as it has a rabid fan base that will travel and hasn't had a bowl game in 5 years. Why should Illinois be skipped over in favor of Penn St or Wisky this year?

Whom they beat.