College Move In...

SoxFan1

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(pierard @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
I just moved to Ithaca, NY for law school (Cornell). It's my first time away from Chicagoland, and as bad as this season has been I miss being able to sit back with a beer and watch the sox. I can't really afford the Extra Innings package, does anyone know any cheap alternatives?

Go with MLB.tv. It's only about $90-100 for the whole season. At least it was this year.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 04:22 PM)
The only thing I have ever worried about with journalism is the thought of graduating and not getting a job for awhile.

As far as I know, your chances are much better if you get a broad communications education.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
As far as I know, your chances are much better if you get a broad communications education.

Maybe whitesoxfan1 needs to think about taking a few classes in "communicating with broads"....

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
Go with MLB.tv. It's only about $90-100 for the whole season. At least it was this year.

the rest of this season is only $29.95 if you sign up now - not a bad deal.

Journalism is a great degree for film and TV production (believe it or not), both reality and fiction. I work with a lot of people who majored in journalism only to go on and become editors, writers or directors. As opposed to a simple communications degree, it allows you a fall back position to get a job in print/tv/radio journalism.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
This thread makes me reconsider my plan on going into journalism.

You could always still minor in Journalism and still have the option to go into that field. After this Fall, I'll only need 12 hours to get my Journalism minor.

I had a journalism class that was "Writing for Electronic Media". That means TV, radio and internet.

Instead we focused on tv alone, and rehashed stuff that we did in a prereq journalism class as far as basic stuff.

The worst part? Never got feedback on a single piece we wrote. I would have liked to have heard what she thought about my interview with Dan McCarney for one assignment, but no.

I plan on returning to college this fall. To learn Spanish.

I was thinking of earning a professional certificate from Illinois by taking a few online classes for $801 per credit hour, but I'll have a lot going on with this new position I just accepted so I'll wait until the spring.

If that goes well, I'll aim for my MBA somewhere out here (ISU?) because the company pays 100% for tuition.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 03:04 AM)
There's just something to be said about dorm life. Some aspects of it will suck, but chances are you'll bond with people.

Or you'll have a kid on the left of you who plays nothing but Dave Matthews Band and a kid on the right on you who plays crappy rap music (Walk it Out) at odd times of the day (like Saturday morning at 9:00 am -- very pleasant).

I'm in the same boat as SF1, move in day is Aug 22 and classes start 27. I'm moving in a day early though because my parents are old school and want to beat the rush. I'm pretty pumped about starting school, but I'm somewhat in the same position of Beastly. I don't really like to go out and get wasted all the time, I made my college decision based on my major not because of IU's recognition as a party school. I'm going in with an open mind though, and I'm really looking forward to meeting new people because few kids from my school are going to IU (about 80 kids are going to Purdue because we had 2 basketball players go there).

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 02:12 AM)
I'm in the same boat as SF1, move in day is Aug 22 and classes start 27. I'm moving in a day early though because my parents are old school and want to beat the rush. I'm pretty pumped about starting school, but I'm somewhat in the same position of Beastly. I don't really like to go out and get wasted all the time, I made my college decision based on my major not because of IU's recognition as a party school. I'm going in with an open mind though, and I'm really looking forward to meeting new people because few kids from my school are going to IU (about 80 kids are going to Purdue because we had 2 basketball players go there).

Nice, weren't you considering Depauw or something like that earlier this year?

You'll love it here, and honestly, as I'm sure it is with all schools, it's only a party school if you want it to be. You can make it whatever you want, by the way you go about things.

And what dorm are you living in?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
Or you'll have a kid on the left of you who plays nothing but Dave Matthews Band and a kid on the right on you who plays crappy rap music (Walk it Out) at odd times of the day (like Saturday morning at 9:00 am -- very pleasant).

That kid was my roommate. Needless to say, I have a intense hatred for all things Dave Matthews Band now. I mean, I hated them before, but my hatred now is about tenfold.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 09:04 PM)
There's just something to be said about dorm life. Some aspects of it will suck, but chances are you'll bond with people.

Definitely. The dorms were a blast, I made some really good friends there. At the same time though, I'm glad that I'm living in an apartment this year.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:12 AM)

Well, the way I'm trying to plan it out is to move in the 22nd, make a bunch of friends, then have a party on the 27th for my birthday. What will inevitably happen is that I'll spend my birthday alone playing 360 with my roommate.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 08:22 PM)
Replace Dave Matthews Band with Brand New and you've got my situation last year.

As much as I hate my roommate from last year, and Dave Matthews Band, I think I feel sorry for you more.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 07:22 PM)
Replace Dave Matthews Band with Brand New and you've got my situation last year.

Wow that sucks...I absolutely hate punk, and Brand New is just so annoying. Dave Matthews I could prolly stand though.

My first roommate didnt even like music. He was really weird then I changed rooms, unfortunately after I moved my nearby neighbors loved to blast the song..College Girls Are Easy by Eazy E, over and over. That song just pisses me off, although I did enjoy walkin into their rooms and asking them if college girls are so easy how come you guys never talk to any? Pretty sure they hated me haha.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)
As much as I hate my roommate from last year, and Dave Matthews Band, I think I feel sorry for you more.

The worst part is that the f***ing lyrics are BURNED into my head.

"And I know that you're a sucker for anything acoustic, but when I say let's keep in touch, I really mean I wish that you'd grow up; this is the first song for your mixtape and its short just like your temper...."

Ugh.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
The worst part is that the f***ing lyrics are BURNED into my head.

"And I know that you're a sucker for anything acoustic, but when I say let's keep in touch, I really mean I wish that you'd grow up; this is the first song for your mixtape and its short just like your temper...."

Ugh.

I'm lucky I don't have that great a memory when it comes to s***ty lyrics, but I know there are some crappy Dave Matthews Bands lyrics still in my head somewhere. I've just tried to blast it out with a steady dose of Frank Zappa, the Beatles, the Doors, and so forth.

Oh, and possibly the worst part of living with my roommate's musical taste was that he referred to Dave Matthews Band as 'Dave'. Seriously, what the hell? Maybe it's just me, but thats just annoying.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
I'm lucky I don't have that great a memory when it comes to s***ty lyrics, but I know there are some crappy Dave Matthews Bands lyrics still in my head somewhere. I've just tried to blast it out with a steady dose of Frank Zappa, the Beatles, the Doors, and so forth.

Oh, and possibly the worst part of living with my roommate's musical taste was that he referred to Dave Matthews Band as 'Dave'. Seriously, what the hell? Maybe it's just me, but thats just annoying.

I could handle his TBS infatuation, as I like them too, and his favorite band is actually the Used, which I don't mind, but Brand New was by far his favorite.