College Move In...

SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 07:59 AM)
Oh and Beastly, I was similar to you coming out of high school. My advice would be to just have fun and go with the flow. You don't have to change who you are or what you believe in. However, if the opportunity to go out with some new people arises (such as a party) give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. Trust me, even if you don't think so, people change a lot from 18 to 22. You might actually end up enjoying going out.

It's nice to hear the reassurance here, because I'm going to be quite lost when I go down there. I'm not wanting to change who I am or what I believe in, I just would like to make more friends, maintain a relationship with someone very close to me back home and just take it easy. I wouldn't mind going to go out and socialize, but I guess drinking and dancing isn't really my thing. Dancing only is my thing when I'm at a wedding or at a school function. I agree that people change a lot but I hope that I'll remain mostly of who I want to be and have some of the same beliefs. I'm sure going out won't be a problem, it's just finding those people who share interests (sports, World of Warcraft, video games, D&D, Warlord the CCG and Magic the Gathering.)

Again, sorry for the random posts out to people on the board, but I'm one to write better than communicate my thoughts than through speaking. I'm sure the transition will be an adjustment, but will be a positive one.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Beastly @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 05:33 PM)
It's nice to hear the reassurance here, because I'm going to be quite lost when I go down there. I'm not wanting to change who I am or what I believe in, I just would like to make more friends, maintain a relationship with someone very close to me back home and just take it easy. I wouldn't mind going to go out and socialize, but I guess drinking and dancing isn't really my thing. Dancing only is my thing when I'm at a wedding or at a school function. I agree that people change a lot but I hope that I'll remain mostly of who I want to be and have some of the same beliefs. I'm sure going out won't be a problem, it's just finding those people who share interests (sports, World of Warcraft, video games, D&D, Warlord the CCG and Magic the Gathering.)

Again, sorry for the random posts out to people on the board, but I'm one to write better than communicate my thoughts than through speaking. I'm sure the transition will be an adjustment, but will be a positive one.

The biggest piece of advice is just be who you are. The rest of the idiots in the world who have a problem with that can just go pound sand. Those who will really be your friend and will be there no matter what you are are the only ones that matter. No one else does.

Have fun, and be yourself. That's it!

QUOTE(Beastly @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 12:22 AM)
I'm quite nervous about college because I don't fit the stereotypical atmosphere. I'm more of a D&D and World of Warcraft guy than a partier. I don't have a problem with people partying but I don't see myself doing it because I just don't like that environment, I'm more of a stay-in and hang with people or my girlfriend kind of thing. I pretty much want to go to study, work out at the gym, start gaming with folks and meet new people, which sounds fine with me.

I am going to go to EIU on August 16th, move all of my s*** in, and then go to GenCon in Indianapolis and come back Sunday afternoon/evening for school, which starts on Monday. My roommate hasn't called me back and I haven't even spoken to the guy, perhaps he's on vacation. It will be interesting to say the least. I will be majoring in business but I have a strong feeling I'm going to pursue a degree in secondary education and major in english.

There's all types of people and things to do, not just the stereotypical atmosphere. You'll find a crowd you get along with.

Good luck to everyone entering/ going back to college in the next several weeks.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(Beastly @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 12:22 AM)
I'm quite nervous about college because I don't fit the stereotypical atmosphere. I'm more of a D&D and World of Warcraft guy than a partier. I

Go to NIU and live at Stevenson :lol:

In all seriousness you should be fine. Go out and have some fun.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)

Dude, who else has time to make level 70 in five days but college guys? By Christmas you'll be chatting with someone on a raid and find out he's on the same campus.

But don't try to make ten friends at once. Talk to people. Everyone is in the same boat as you the first semester and wants to talk to someone else. Get off the computer long enough to make a few real world friends.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)
Dude, who else has time to make level 70 in five days but college guys? By Christmas you'll be chatting with someone on a raid and find out he's on the same campus.

But don't try to make ten friends at once. Talk to people. Everyone is in the same boat as you the first semester and wants to talk to someone else. Get off the computer long enough to make a few real world friends.

Yeah, come to soxtalk.com....and meet REAL friends...

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
The biggest piece of advice is just be who you are. The rest of the idiots in the world who have a problem with that can just go pound sand. Those who will really be your friend and will be there no matter what you are are the only ones that matter. No one else does.

Have fun, and be yourself. That's it!

And keep in mind that there are a LOT of idiots out there. And as a rule, just when you think you've run into the king/queen idiot... a bigger idiot will show themselves. :lolhitting

Don't worry Beastly, I'm sure there are tons of other people like you in all colleges. Some people just like to lay back and chill instead of going to a bunch of parties all the time. I get in those moods too when all I want to do is watch some movies or play 360 for hours on end...and if ever there was a place to do that, college is that place. :lol:

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
Remember moving in my first year at SIU. Lived on the 4th floor and had no elevator. Lots of carrying stuff up, obviously. Ended up moving out a month later cuz my roomate was a dick.

University Park or Thompson Point? My first day there I was 106 Allen 2 so I was on the first floor right next to the entrance. I got lucky with a random room mate and ended up becoming friends with him and pledging together.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 05:48 PM)
Don't worry Beastly, I'm sure there are tons of other people like you in all colleges. Some people just like to lay back and chill instead of going to a bunch of parties all the time. I get in those moods too when all I want to do is watch some movies or play 360 for hours on end...and if ever there was a place to do that, college is that place. :lol:

No doubt. I mean, I go out a lot, but I also have some times when introvert qualities come out and I just wanna sit and watch some movies and play video games, on a Saturday night no less. I've had a Friday night when I blacked out and the next night I watched the Back to the Future series b/c they all came back to back to back on TV.

You gotta get out of the dorm room at least some so you don't go crazy (or make your roommate crazy b/c you're always there, lol), but there's absolutely nothing wrong with staying in and playing video games. It's actually pretty fun when you have parties in the dorms, too, and they happen quite often, so don't always think you have to go to an off-campus house/apt. or bar. You can just walk down the hall and something will be going on.

p.s. this is advice directed toward beastly; I just quoted your post, slav, b/c I liked what you had to say

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
Yeah, come to soxtalk.com....and meet REAL friends...

Hey, some of us actually have good friends from this site, as disturbing as that is. :lol:

I honestly started college at the worst possible time. My freshman year was in August of 05 and I really only cared about one thing at the time( take a guess), so I was pretty anti social for a while.

Edited by Rowand44

Along the lines of meeting people I really think Purdue does a great job maybe better than any campus as far as i know of introducing freshman to the campus and other people. They have somethin called BGR where only the freshman; and some upperclassmen who serve as counselors who up about a week and a half before classes start and before all the upperclassmen move in and they assign you to a group of people from 10-12 and for a week and a half you go to activities during the week and meet tons of people as well as the kids in your group. Granted some of the activities are stupid you get to meet alot of people.

Really helps freshmen get situated before the older kids move in.

Youll have no problem meetin kids at Eastern (believe thats where u said u were goin). There I heard from a friend they usually tend to group people on floors by major and interests. From my experience when I lived in the dorms for only a semester due to pledging and leaving for a frat, everyone got along even with their differences, I think youll be surprised by some of the people you meet.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
I'm switching majors at semester. I hate journalism, going into teaching/coaching.

Yeah, I'm starting to get a little afraid of going into journalism as a profession.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 01:24 AM)
I'm going to be a senior in HS and I'm going to be applying soon. My list is Southern Illinois, Missouri, and Memphis. SIU is looking like the clear cut favorite for me because my bro goes there and i love Carbondale! I know a few of you guys went or are going to SIU or Mizzou and i'd like to know what you guys think of each! Thanks a ton!

What are you looking for in a school? You'll probably like wherever you go as most colleges are essentially the same thing. All three of those places are far from home so that's not really a factor, but the comfort level you have with Carbondale is probably big. I like Mizzou, but it kills me that I'm so far from home at times.

I think the town of the school is more important than the school/campus itself. Memphis is obviously a bigger city, Columbia sits in the middle range, and Carbondale is smaller. I haven't been to Carbondale, but I've been to Charleston (EIU), which is a bit smaller than Carbondale. I just couldn't see myself spending an extended period of time in Charleston without going nuts. I would probably drive home every weekend, and when it's that bad I don't think you should even be going to the school.

Well I never had to move into a dorm or anything for college down here, since it's only a 10 min drive from where I live, so really what's the point of moving on campus there unless you're forced to. It's my last semester, and dare I say, I won't be here living at home next year. :ph34r:

So I guess I missed out on the whole "College" experience, since I only really spend 2, 3 hours max on campus a week.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 07:33 AM)
Well I never had to move into a dorm or anything for college down here, since it's only a 10 min drive from where I live, so really what's the point of moving on campus there unless you're forced to. It's my last semester, and dare I say, I won't be here living at home next year. :ph34r:

So I guess I missed out on the whole "College" experience, since I only really spend 2, 3 hours max on campus a week.

I didn't live on campus either, but I had my share of the college life visiting friends who went to ISU and SIU. Honestly, I'm glad I missed that part.

About 40-50 kids from my high school went to U of I and the one thing I DIDN'T want to do was hang out with them only. And I didn't. Whatever you want to do, you will find people who like to do that too.

Quick story...I met a guy from West Frankfurt, IL...total hick town. When I met him, he had a mullet, cheesy mustache, wore flannels, looked like he came right off the farm. I would call him redneck and he would call me preppie. By the time he was a junior, he was the COMPLETE opposite. He cut his hair, shaved his mustache, wore whatever was in style at the time (which, ironically, was flannel since it was the early 90's), but he wore Polo shirts. He pulled a complete 180. I'm not saying he wanted to, but he did. As someone said earlier, you change A LOT from 18 to 22.

Good luck to all in College...I'm jealous.

Tex, Kap...we're old.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 05:01 AM)
Yeah, I'm starting to get a little afraid of going into journalism as a profession.

What are you looking for in a school? You'll probably like wherever you go as most colleges are essentially the same thing. All three of those places are far from home so that's not really a factor, but the comfort level you have with Carbondale is probably big. I like Mizzou, but it kills me that I'm so far from home at times.

I think the town of the school is more important than the school/campus itself. Memphis is obviously a bigger city, Columbia sits in the middle range, and Carbondale is smaller. I haven't been to Carbondale, but I've been to Charleston (EIU), which is a bit smaller than Carbondale. I just couldn't see myself spending an extended period of time in Charleston without going nuts. I would probably drive home every weekend, and when it's that bad I don't think you should even be going to the school.

Yeah i really do feel comfortable in Carbondale because i know the town well and my brother is there. I can't wait for college!

I just moved to Ithaca, NY for law school (Cornell). It's my first time away from Chicagoland, and as bad as this season has been I miss being able to sit back with a beer and watch the sox. I can't really afford the Extra Innings package, does anyone know any cheap alternatives?

I basically have the same kind of personality and didn't have much of a problem. You're only going to be in class for 2-4 hours a day, and basically no one goes out before 10, so that's A LOT of down time (yeah, I know, studying. :P Honestly, unless it was mid-terms or finals more than an hour or two a day was overkill unless you were in a future competitive enrollment program).

One thing I would definitely suggest is checking out the groups on campus. Granted Illinois probably had a ton more than most, but there's likely at least one that'll cater to your interests. I played a lot of pool and poker, so I basically hung out at the pool hall, playing in some of the tournaments, and kept my eye open for poker games (the school/dorms had some sponsored games now and then). Depending on your situation, there might be a bunch of people that play on the school network, or maybe there's a hobby shop/gaming store with tournaments and events.

Other than that, just try to be receptive and flexible. If some people you know want to go to a party or go grab some food or something, just go with it as long as it doesn't interfere with your studies, you'll integrate a little more and help your social life a bit. You don't need to go out drinking 4 or 5 nights a week (like a lot of people I knew :unsure: ), but 1 or 2 won't kill you. I'll admit, I wasn't a heavy drinker either and still am not now, but I did become a bit of a social drinker, since that was all anyone ever did on the weekends. :P

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 08:33 AM)

I went to community college for two years and transfered to NIU for my junior year. I really didn't like living in the dorms that much, part of the reason the fact that the upperclassmen dorms at NIU aren't near as fun. Most people are anti-social or just keep to themselves. On top of that everyone in the suite I was in went home on the weekends. I still had some fun, but the dorm experience just wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. I was going to get an apartment this year with a couple people from Rockford who said they were going to NIU, but they ended up going to other schools. I decided to save money and commute from Rockford. I have a brother at SIU so I will go down there a couple of times this year, and I will probably spend a few weekends at NIU.