College Move In...

SoxFan1

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 12:58 AM)
Nothing is worse than going to sleep at 2:30 on a weeknight and having your neighbors come back, drunk as s***, and blare their top 40s s*** with their sub going and everything. Didn't matter what songs were playing, they all sucked.

At least it wasn't country.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 08:21 AM)
Nice, weren't you considering Depauw or something like that earlier this year?

You'll love it here, and honestly, as I'm sure it is with all schools, it's only a party school if you want it to be. You can make it whatever you want, by the way you go about things.

And what dorm are you living in?

Yeah after my junior year I was pretty set on going to DePaul but after visiting their School of Commerce I changed my mind. I couldn't turn down the quality of a Kelley School education.

I'll be living in Read. I'm excited about that because it's close to Mother Bear's pizza and there are many cafeterias inside Read.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)
About 40-50 kids from my high school went to U of I and the one thing I DIDN'T want to do was hang out with them only. And I didn't. Whatever you want to do, you will find people who like to do that too.

The exact same thing happened to me, i actually lived across the hall from 2 of them. That kind of stuck me in a rut freshmen year. But sophomore year I changed some things, started meeting new people and now things are completely different. Everyone i really associate with now i've met in the past couple of years. College is a different experience for everyone and you learn alot.

I'm kinda sounding old huh? :ph34r:

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
Yeah after my junior year I was pretty set on going to DePaul but after visiting their School of Commerce I changed my mind. I couldn't turn down the quality of a Kelley School education.

I'll be living in Read. I'm excited about that because it's close to Mother Bear's pizza and there are many cafeterias inside Read.

Good deal. Read's a pretty good location. Shoot me a PM or w/e, if you ever have a question about anything here--I should be able to help you out.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 12:58 AM)
Nothing is worse than going to sleep at 2:30 on a weeknight and having your neighbors come back, drunk as s***, and blare their top 40s s*** with their sub going and everything. Didn't matter what songs were playing, they all sucked.

Yeah, drunk people and general noise at 2 or 3 in the morning was pretty common and annoying. I eventually just gave up trying to go to sleep before 2 AM. :P

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)
I couldn't turn down the quality of a Kelley School education.

Hahahahaha, that's precious. Enjoy being surrounded by the dumbest people on campus while learning absolutely nothing. Kelley is an absolute cesspool outside of Finance, and I don't understand why people would want to study there outside of the false reputation it receives.

Actually contributing to the thread, I'm moving in on the 18th (16-hour drive from Texas) for my Senior year at IU. I already have my Bachelor's in Germanic Studies, but I'm finishing up my Bachelor's in Economics next year.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 08:18 PM)
Moving stuff into the apartment tomorrow, coming back tomorrow nite, working til next tuesday, then moving stuff in tues-thurs, school starts on Aug 20.

I'm switching majors at semester. I hate journalism, going into teaching/coaching.

yup.

Its cause no other boss is as cool to work for as me in the journalism industry isn't it. :hawk:

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:29 PM)
My roommate likes Incubus.

:headbang Thats not a bad thing. :P

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
I remember the fire alarms being pulled at least twice a week in the middle of the night at SIU and having to evacuate. So annoying.

Dude that happened all the time at my dorm at Purdue. Except kids were lighting trash cans on fire, and of course it had to happen at 3 or 4 in the morning.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)
I could handle his TBS infatuation, as I like them too, and his favorite band is actually the Used, which I don't mind, but Brand New was by far his favorite.

Brand new is awesome....I can't wait till next year...where I can take part of this thread when I go back for my MBA...WHOOOOO :headbang

All the journalism hate is completely understandable, but its a nice degree to have if you want to go to grad school because good writing is essential for every single job. That is my theory, I came into school with the mindset that I wanted to be a sports radio host (still could happen) but its not what I want now. I switched from Broadcast Journalism/Spanish major to Newspaper Journalism/Spanish witht the intent on getting an MBA or law degree. As for move in, I go Thursday the 16th and have mixed emotion. For me I loved Freshman year and my friends there, but I love home as well, so its always hard to leave, especially since all last week I was gone. But no matter, being on your own and having tons of free time to do whatever you want is always fun.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
Hahahahaha, that's precious. Enjoy being surrounded by the dumbest people on campus while learning absolutely nothing. Kelley is an absolute cesspool outside of Finance, and I don't understand why people would want to study there outside of the false reputation it receives.

Actually contributing to the thread, I'm moving in on the 18th (16-hour drive from Texas) for my Senior year at IU. I already have my Bachelor's in Germanic Studies, but I'm finishing up my Bachelor's in Economics next year.

Well I guess I should be glad to be planning on majoring in Finance already. And besides, it's much better than my other options (Butler, DePaul, and Wabash).

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 11:08 AM)
Good deal. Read's a pretty good location. Shoot me a PM or w/e, if you ever have a question about anything here--I should be able to help you out.

Thank you much. I just might take advantage of that sometime in the first couple weeks because I might have no idea where to go.

Major props to Texas State University and their move in. Easiest ever. Pulled right up to my son's dorm, checked in took less than 5 minutes, lots of RA help, rooms were ready to go. From pulling up to moved in, including rearranging his dorm for bunks, less than 1 hour.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)
rearranging his dorm for bunks

That was pretty smart. Gives you a lot more room in such cramped quarters. Makes the room feel bigger and, in turn, more inviting/cozy.

Anyway, I moved in to my fraternity house a few days ago and I'm loving my room. It took like two days to get settled in and have everything how my roommate and I want it, but it looks great now. Everyone says it seems like it could be a real room in someone's house, not a room in a fraternity house, so I guess that's a good compliment.

I rue tomorrow when the vampires come in and clog all the roads so townies like me are unable to go to their jobs in a reasonable timeframe. Not to mention when their sense of entitlement means longer lines at all the local stores and terrible driving skills (i.e. the guy that nearly t-boned me last year when he decided he wanted to make a left turn from the far right hand lane going south on Lincoln at Lincoln and Springfield...and here I was as a sucker being in the left turn lane with a green arrow when he nearly hit me. Best part was the guy screaming at me like I did something wrong.

(Edit, for those who are not UIUC'ers or Chambana residents -- Lincoln + Springfield is a two lane each way road and the left turn lane makes it have a fifth lane at the corner)

UIUC campus move in is an absolute clusterf*** of a high degree and really annoys townies like me who enjoy the town and don't like people who just sap things out of the community and whose only contributions (by and far -- it isn't everybody but there are too damn many) include puking outside repeatedly, vocal obnoxiousness and payment of drunk in public or parking tickets.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
I rue tomorrow when the vampires come in and clog all the roads so townies like me are unable to go to their jobs in a reasonable timeframe. Not to mention when their sense of entitlement means longer lines at all the local stores and terrible driving skills (i.e. the guy that nearly t-boned me last year when he decided he wanted to make a left turn from the far right hand lane going south on Lincoln at Lincoln and Springfield...and here I was as a sucker being in the left turn lane with a green arrow when he nearly hit me. Best part was the guy screaming at me like I did something wrong.

(Edit, for those who are not UIUC'ers or Chambana residents -- Lincoln + Springfield is a two lane each way road and the left turn lane makes it have a fifth lane at the corner)

UIUC campus move in is an absolute clusterf*** of a high degree and really annoys townies like me who enjoy the town and don't like people who just sap things out of the community and whose only contributions (by and far -- it isn't everybody but there are too damn many) include puking outside repeatedly, vocal obnoxiousness and payment of drunk in public or parking tickets.

Move in day is pretty insane, traffic sucks in/around campus and there's nowhere to park. Even on a non-move in day it can be quite obnoxious trying to drive/park anywhere near Green Street between the one-way streets and high volume of car/foot traffic. The pedestrians aren't really any better, especially when intoxicated, they often cross the street whenever/wherever they want.