Bobby Jenks...

PWSox87

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep getting a count of 39 batters, not 38. If he opened the inning and pitched 1.0 innings, he should've faced 3 batters. So that makes 12 consecutive appearances without allowing a baserunner (36 batters), then he retired the last 3 batters he faced vs Cleveland (39 batters). Where is the missing batter?

Aug 10 SEA W 5-3 SV 1.0

Aug 8 CLE W 6-4 - 1.0

Aug 5 @ DET W 3-1 SV 1.0

Aug 4 @ DET W 7-5 SV 1.0

Aug 2 @ NYY W 13-9 - 1.0

Aug 1 @ NYY L 1-8 - 1.0

Jul 28 TOR W 2-0 SV 1.0

Jul 27 TOR W 4-3 SV 1.0

Jul 26 DET W 4-3 W 1.0

Jul 24 DET W 8-7 SV 1.0

Jul 24 DET W 5-3 SV 1.0

Jul 19 @ BOS W 4-2 SV 1.0

Jul 17 @ CLE L 5-6 BS 1.0

Last 3 batters @ CLE:

- M. Rouse grounded out to second

- G. Sizemore grounded out to first

- C. Blake flied out to center

I was at the game last night and Bobby was topping out at 95 consistently. Hey, 95 is still smokin. I'd rather see him "pitch" then rely on 100MPH, which I think is a parlor trick that either a) batters will eventually figure out or B) ruin his arm.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
I keep getting a count of 39 batters, not 38.

I counted out the same thing, but assumed that the play-by-play was incorrect. Weird.

(EDIT: Maybe a Sox pitcher allowed a batter to reach base and then Jenks came in, faced 2 batters, and got a GIDP?)

Edited by barnes

QUOTE(barnes @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 08:41 AM)
I counted out the same thing, but assumed that the play-by-play was incorrect. Weird.

(EDIT: Maybe a Sox pitcher allowed a batter to reach base and then Jenks came in, faced 2 batters, and got a GIDP?)

Yep, vs Detroit:

9th Inning

Matt Thornton pitching for Chicago

S Casey singled to center.

B Inge ran for S Casey.

B Jenks relieved M Thornton.

M Hessman flied out to left.

B Inge stole second.

M Rabelo lined into double play, second to shortstop, B Inge doubled off second.

So 38 it is.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
to me this record is not getting nearly enough national attention.....can you imagine how much espn would be all over this had it been papelbon or rivera that did this

I totally agree. I was watching SportsCenter and they mentioned it as an afterthought when recapping the game. If it was a BoSox/Yankee it would have lead the broadcast.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
I totally agree. I was watching SportsCenter and they mentioned it as an afterthought when recapping the game. If it was a BoSox/Yankee it would have lead the broadcast.

I was a lil bit miffed also . Baseball Tonight barely mentioned it if at all. I mean 38 straight outs. 12 2/3 perfect innings !! Come on now that is an amazing feat !

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)
One could make the argument that Jenks is as good as he ever has been, and that person would probably be right.

The proof is in the pudding. The guy has just tied an American League record for the most consecutive outs recorded in the 107 year history of its exsistance. Only one other guy has ever done it. How can you argue with those results?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
The proof is in the pudding. The guy has just tied an American League record for the most consecutive outs recorded in the 107 year history of its exsistance. Only one other guy has ever done it. How can you argue with those results?

He has the the what the definition of a closer is supposed to be. Get outs to end the game. Easily. The guy has been freaking amazing lately. Remember this folks. He is one guy on the team that deserves a free pass when the time comes.

Oh by the way, nice article on him on MLB.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Edited by robinventura23

Can you imagine how big this would be if Jonathan Papelbon had tied the record? There would be countless updates, in-progress video from ESPN and the MLB section of their website probably wouldn't have a picture of Aaron Harang on the front page right now. It's a shame Bobby will get so little national attention for an amazing accomplishment.

this is a truly remarkable record...... 100+ years of baseball nobody has gotten more hitters out in a row than bobby....i cant believe the national media isnt more on this story....its a damn shame we arent winning or on the east coast, because this would be huge.....congrats bobby...this is an unreal streak...keep it goin..lets shatter the old record and hit 50