590 The Fan - OF Rick Ankiel Gets The Call

CardsJimEdmonds15

Cardinals Call Up Rick Ankiel

Created: 8/9/2007 11:03:51 AM

Last updated: 8/9/2007 11:32:16 AM

ankiel22story.jpg

KSDK - Years after bouts of wildness and injuries forced him to leave the mound, Rick Ankiel is coming back to the majors. But this time, he won't be pitching.

Ankiel, among the minor leagues' leaders in home runs, has been called up by the Cardinals, NewsChannel 5's Frank Cusumano reports.

In 102 games at AAA Memphis, Ankiel has 32 home runs and 89 RBI. He leads the Pacific Coast League in home runs, and is second in RBI. He is hitting .267.

The team has repeatedly said the plan was to wait until rosters expanded in September to call up Ankiel. However, his hot hitting shows he may help the major league team now.

"His season has caught everybody's attention," manager Tony La Russa said. "He's been lighting it up from the get-go, so he's building on a good impression."

[Link]

Ankiel is definitely on the way up - confirmed ...

We're working it ... Going to be an interesting couple of days ... I'm told La Russa asked for Ankiel to be up here in time to be with the team for the road trip through Milwaukee and Chicago ... But there is another development that expedited the process ....a player has to go ...won't be a trade, so relax on that ...but someone will go to make room for Ankiel ...

Believe it's Spiezio but not confirmed ...there are some issues. .don't want to reveal anything more until we know more on a definitive basis...

Crazy week down there at the old ballpark behind the scenes... Edmonds and La Russa got into it two nights ago - pretty heated I'm told...

-B

[Link]

Ankiel Video To Watch

QUOTE(CardsJimEdmonds15 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
590 The Fan is reporting Rick Ankiel gets the call

Woot!!!!!!! YAY!!! About time!!

Maybe there's a deal with an outfielder (Encarnacion).. somethin has to have happened.. dont think they'd DL Spiezio and go 6 outfielders with one less infielder..

Is there any bad press about how the Cards did nothing to improve and how the division was their's with a trade or two at the break. .500 ball the last 10 days has them right there.

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
If he's batting .267 in AAA, he's going to have trouble hitting .230 in the majors.

He isn't being recalled to hit a bunch of singles, they're calling him up to knock the s*** out of the ball. His 32 HR were near tops in the minors.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
He isn't being recalled to hit a bunch of singles, they're calling him up to knock the s*** out of the ball. His 32 HR were near tops in the minors.

TOPS in the minors I believe..

Manager Tony La Russa is putting him right to work. Ankiel will start in right field tonight and bat second against Padres righthander Chris Young.

[Link]

I just looked at the standings for the first time in awhile, and I was shocked to see the Cards are only 6 out in the central. I think they've been outscored by around 100 runs, so it will be hard for them to have a push, but CHC and MIL are letting them walk back into this race.