Trade Garland?

southsider2k5

Best thing we could do is trade Contreras/Garland, promote Egbert/Gonzalez, and just let them pitch.

Yeah, but "just letting them pitch" can be pretty ugly. I mean we could win 40-50 games if we completely retool the whole pitching staff.

If those two guys plus Danks and Floyd are four of our five starters, we wouldn't win 50 games.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garland should have been traded a long time ago, when his value was higher than his ability. KW had the right idea when he tried to dump him in the offseason before Garcia. Even right now, just getting rid of Garland's salary and promoting Gio might aid the Sox in putting together a major league lineup. I'm pretty sure Gio could be average-at-best too.

Instead, KW waited a year too late, which is one the defining characteristics of a bad GM. Right Pratt?

...and KW does that often.

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 11:45 PM)
Garland should have been traded a long time ago, when his value was higher than his ability. KW had the right idea when he tried to dump him in the offseason before Garcia. Even right now, just getting rid of Garland's salary and promoting Gio might aid the Sox in putting together a major league lineup. I'm pretty sure Gio could be average-at-best too.

Instead, KW waited a year too late, which is one the defining characteristics of a bad GM. Right Pratt?

...and KW does that often.

now, wheres the post where KW should have traded Contreras after 05, Dye after 06, etc?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
BUT A REBUILD WILL NOT HAPPEN.
Too bad, because it's exactly what's needed. Since going 56-29 to start the 06 campaign, the Sox are 90-115. They are 32-52 since May 27. This is a team sliding merrily down the slippery slope. I'd rather watch 1962 New York Met style baseball for a few years, if that's what it takes to fix the franchise. The Sox need a major overhaul from top to bottom. It's time to start drafting players that can actually contribute at the major league level. That would be a nice start.

Maybe he's hurt?

I seem to remember some talk of a bad back around the ASB. His start got pushed back when the Sox went to Baltimore right after the All-Star game. Maybe it's nothing major but I can't seem to find any other explanation why our best pitcher through the first 3 months of the season is probably our worst pitcher right now.

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Aug 25, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)
Apples and Oranges.

Dye and Contreras were dominant players at their peak.

Garland wasn't.

don't mind the fact that Garland's best ERA in a season is (slightly) better than Contreras's. And that Jon Garland has never finished a season with an ERA above 5 - though that's in jeopardy this year - whereas Contreras is assured of his 2nd season with an ERA over 5.

If you consider Contreras dominant, you consider Garland dominant. I see no way around it.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 25, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
don't mind the fact that Garland's best ERA in a season is (slightly) better than Contreras's. And that Jon Garland has never finished a season with an ERA above 5 - though that's in jeopardy this year - whereas Contreras is assured of his 2nd season with an ERA over 5.

If you consider Contreras dominant, you consider Garland dominant. I see no way around it.

Garland never had a stretch like JC did from August of 05 'til basically his injury in 06. JC was one of the better pitchers in baseball for about 5 months of baseball, Garland has never been that good.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 06:15 PM)
My new prediction is Contreras and a decent spec get traded for Tejada, and it happens relatively early in the off-season.

That would be a hard sell on their rapidly declining fan base. Trading Tejada for an OLDER player who was awful in 2007, wouldn't fly with me if I was an Oriole fan. And I look at the White Sox prospects and see how they struggle and it would piss me off even more. No way on that trade.