White Sox V Cleveland

TLAK

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 12:16 AM)
And the best quote from a drunken fan. Hey Cleveland, our WNBA team is so much better than your WNBA team. LOL

I know that's what I heard too but I thought I heard wrong. LMAO They are hilarious.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 05:19 PM)
You know, the more I read stuff like this, the more I am starting to understand the posters that are frustrated with the whole "get the number one pick" thing. Not that I care too much one way or the other about games now, or that I don't want a high pick. But for crying out loud, why is it so hard for people to have the patience to see what this guy can do? He's had 3 of his last 4 starts go very well, and even with the bad one he is sporting a 4.50 ERA. I think some of you are way more interested in being right about your hunches than you are about the team or its future being good.

I want to point out that I'm in the minority but I still say f*** the pick. I'm happy with any top 10 pick and I always feel its more important to win (that even sticks in the NFL when your playing for the #1 overall draft pick). I believe winning always makes things better (even when you flat out suck) and you notice that those teams that perennially get the top pick still find ways to suck year in year out (and it isn't because of a lack of talent...yes its cause of horrid decisions but bottom line the #1 picks are typically no brainers anyway).

Yes I"d love Pedro Alvarez but I also see a lot of value in the taem winning games (even if meaningless). If it means we are winning because Floyd has a great start or PK has a 3 HR game than so be it. I don't ever want players not playing 100% and playing to win because as soon as you start to lose that winning attitude than your organization will be mired in losing for a long long time (and no I don't claim that teams playing to lose...I think 99% of all players always want to win...but there is always the Boston Celtics phenomena).

Now if the club just sucks and we get the #1 pick, than fine...hopefully the club takes advantage of it. I'll always look at that as a blessing in disguise, but winning should still be the #1 priority (albeit you should be getting those wins by developing your players...and right now the Sox HAVE been doing that...ie Logan, Fields, Owens, Richar, Floyd, Danks).

Greg,

In 1986 we won 72 games. Now I am sure that you would of liked them to win 80. It would of made you feel great. But the following year we drafted Jack McDowell. What was worth more for the sox, the 8 more wins or the pick of McDowell., we drafted Jack McDowell.

In 1987 we won 77 games. Now a few more and we are .500. The following year we drafted Robin Ventura. Now the .500 season would of put a smile on your face, and you could of went crazy. But Robin seemed to have a bigger impact over the long haul.

In 1988 we won 71 games, now again .500 would of put that skip in your step. But then again would of Frank Thomas been there. Was the few more wins worth the future HOF player.

In 1989 we won 69 games, now again that .500 mark would of make you giddy. But getting a pitcher of Alex Fernandez's stature seemed to help out more than anything.

I like your post and thank you for the stats and names. But how do you know we still wouldn't have drafted those said players had we won 80 games, etc.?

My point is the draft is a crapshoot. I don't care about the draft. I'd rather win.

And yes I am mad we didn't win tonight.

Good post by your name. I am formerly Mt. Greenwood (Brother Rice, Mt. Greenwood LL alum); currently relatives in Lisle.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 12:33 AM)
I want to point out that I'm in the minority but I still say f*** the pick. I'm happy with any top 10 pick and I always feel its more important to win (that even sticks in the NFL when your playing for the #1 overall draft pick). I believe winning always makes things better (even when you flat out suck) and you notice that those teams that perennially get the top pick still find ways to suck year in year out (and it isn't because of a lack of talent...yes its cause of horrid decisions but bottom line the #1 picks are typically no brainers anyway).

Yes I"d love Pedro Alvarez but I also see a lot of value in the taem winning games (even if meaningless). If it means we are winning because Floyd has a great start or PK has a 3 HR game than so be it. I don't ever want players not playing 100% and playing to win because as soon as you start to lose that winning attitude than your organization will be mired in losing for a long long time (and no I don't claim that teams playing to lose...I think 99% of all players always want to win...but there is always the Boston Celtics phenomena).

Now if the club just sucks and we get the #1 pick, than fine...hopefully the club takes advantage of it. I'll always look at that as a blessing in disguise, but winning should still be the #1 priority (albeit you should be getting those wins by developing your players...and right now the Sox HAVE been doing that...ie Logan, Fields, Owens, Richar, Floyd, Danks).

The rest of this season should be nothing more than open tryouts. I want to see all of the kids playing, and get them experience. That is the silver lining for me. The last time we had this type of pick, we picked up a few impact type players that meant a lot for this organization. I am jacked to think that we can get an impact type guy that can help us out for a long time.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)
His defense has been average. He seems to be streaky in the field, which is something we read about in the scouting report.

Average...I'd disagree. He's got a great arm on DP's, good range, and seems to actually be pretty heady out there. Offensively the hits haven't came, but he's shown he has some pop in his bat and he can run (although that doesn't mean it translates on the basepaths).

As long as the Sox are patient, they will be rewarded (i've said this baout a few other guys and on the vast majority of those instances I was correct). Those guys would be Garland (never doubted him), Crede (got frustrated I'd admit, but felt he was always making strides plus his D was amazing), & Willie Harris.

I must also admit I was dead wrong about Brian Anderson (even though I always said he was over-rated as a prospect, I felt with proper playing time he could potentially succeed...that said he had a horrid swing). And I was horrifcly wrong about Mike Caruso.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 05:55 PM)
Depends on which direction they go this off-season. If they add a competent SS and CF, then you can get away with having Richar at 2b, batting 9th. If Uribe is still in the lineup in 2008, with Owens some where in the lineup, Utley better be batting 2nd or 3rd. :)

Or the Sox just have a lot of good prospects everywhere else as they opted to go into a full blown rebuilding mode (and no I don't think it will happen...but I would be acceptable of that).

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 06:53 PM)
Who knows what to think of these guns. Gameday has him topping out at 94.

Comcasts guns suck...so I'd tend to think its closer to Gamedays. One thing I notice is that Floyd's velcoity really tends to fluctuate between the 94-95 MPH range and the 88 MPH range so who knows.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 05:35 AM)
I like your post and thank you for the stats and names. But how do you know we still wouldn't have drafted those said players had we won 80 games, etc.?

My point is the draft is a crapshoot. I don't care about the draft. I'd rather win.

And yes I am mad we didn't win tonight.

Good post by your name. I am formerly Mt. Greenwood (Brother Rice, Mt. Greenwood LL alum); currently relatives in Lisle.

Greg....who would you rather have the chance to pick, Cole Hamels or Royce Ring?

Nice we kept pace with Florida and gamed a game on Tampa

Sad we continued to disgrace ourselves on the field.

Sad we are closer to being the worst team in the league.

Sad that Cub fans are happy that they won and we lost both.

Sad that so many Sox fans have much in common with Cub fans these days in wanting us to lose.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 05:40 AM)
Comcasts guns suck...so I'd tend to think its closer to Gamedays. One thing I notice is that Floyd's velcoity really tends to fluctuate between the 94-95 MPH range and the 88 MPH range so who knows.

I haven't seen Floyd in the 94-95 range at all. I know during his first start, he topped out at 92 mph.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 12:41 AM)

Sad that so many Sox fans have much in common with Cub fans these days in wanting us to lose.

Pittsburgh and Washington also won tonight so we're putting some distance between ourselves and the worst of the NL which is nice.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 07:25 PM)
Floyd's last few starts have really been encouraging to me for 2008.

I think he could duplicate Contreras production on the season and who knows, maybe he does better (he has the stuff...if he gets some confidence he could turn into a #3 guy). Plus it allows the Sox to be better suited at moving both Garland/Contreras (which hopefully clears payroll and gets you a couple prospects) and also allows the club to add payroll with other guys (hopefully guys that the Sox can pencil into the lineup not just next year but for a couple more years into the future).

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 05:41 AM)

Yep, I'm sure Cubs fans are following every White Sox score with great intensity. The average Cubs fan couldn't even name half of our starting lineup right now.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 12:41 AM)

Difference between Cub fans rooting against the Sox and Sox fans rooting against the Sox is we have the team's best interests in mind.

I, among others, believe receiving the top selection -- and perhaps Pedro Alvarez -- is more beneficial for our future than several more useless wins.

Yep, I'm sure Cubs fans are following every White Sox score with great intensity. The average Cubs fan couldn't even name half of our starting lineup right now.

Cub fans want two things: To win and for us to lose.

I don't see how anybody who likes the White Sox can rest knowing their team a.) lost today and b.) continues to disgrace itself in regards to the rest of the teams.

Just 2 years after winning it all, the team is vying to become the worst team of all.

How can anybody want that to happen is beyond me.

To give up like many of you did with 5 or so weeks left ... to write off each and every game

is amazing to me.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 12:36 AM)
Nice we kept pace with Florida and gamed a game on Tampa.

UPDATED STANDINGS

Tampa Bay 61-83 - GB

Chicago 61-83 - GB

Florida 61-83 - GB

Baltimore 61-81 1.5 GB

Kansas City 62-81 1.5 GB

Houston 62-81 1.5 GB

Pittsburgh 64-80 3 GB

Washington 65-79 4 GB

San Francisco 65-79 4 GB

Texas 68-74 8 GB

Oakland 70-75 8.5 GB

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
The rest of this season should be nothing more than open tryouts. I want to see all of the kids playing, and get them experience. That is the silver lining for me. The last time we had this type of pick, we picked up a few impact type players that meant a lot for this organization. I am jacked to think that we can get an impact type guy that can help us out for a long time.

If we get it fine, but the organization has missed out on numerous high impact guys that they could have grabbed in the early rounds. Now I'm not saying other teams didn't miss on those guys either, but bottom line they haven't had much success and good teams will find good talent even without those high picks.

Why is it that the Royals/Rangers/Marlins (although they have had semi-decent records)/Nationals/Orioles all have pretty mediocre to poor farm systems (and yes, I'm calling out the Marlins whose system really has declined) despite being bad (or in the Royals case horrid) the past couple years.

The Reds have a pretty poor system (although they have a few high upside guys that end up making the system more respectable). Hell, right now the Angels/Dodgers/Yankees/Braves all have some of the 10 best farm systems in baseball and none has been bad over the past 4-5 years (so what does that say about the true need for the #1 pick).

Bottom line if you have good baseball people and a lot of experts you'll get winners without the top pick (now I'm not denying if you have the #1 pick you at least have your choice of the entire draft board, but I'm also stating that if we win more games because our youngsters are playing well than I see that as far more of a positive than the difference between the #1 pick and the #4 or #5 pick).

Tied for last with Tampa Bay. At this point it's going to be a battle the rest of the way, so I'll continue to hope for what I've been hoping for the past couple weeks -- see the starters do well (this holds true for every starter; Floyd and Danks because I want to see them succeed; Buehrle and Vazquez because they're going to be our top guys for the next few seasons; Garland and Contreras for trade value purposes), see certain guys hit well (Fields, Richar and Thome in no certain order), but have the old useless guys in the bullpen blow a couple games (Bukvich, Myers -- I'm staring directly at you two).

That's not to say I won't be happy if guys like Konerko and Dye do well, or even if the Sox win. I just won't be mad (at all, really) if they lose.

So it's the Marlins, Sox, D-Rays and Orioles. The Marlins should be doing better, they play in the NL and have two MVPs in their lineup. Tampa and Baltimore, on the other hand, still have very difficult schedules the rest of the way, so the Sox are really going to have to blow chunks to be worse than those two.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
Greg....who would you rather have the chance to pick, Cole Hamels or Royce Ring?

Geeze...Joe Blanton could have been the Sox. I'd just as well have the additional wins (IIRC the Sox were pretty damn good during the early 2000's even if they missed the playoffs) and that still put them in position to draft Blanton.

Sox just made a s***ty draft choice (which has been done).

Who'd you rather draft...Matt Bush or Josh Fields??? (Bush was the #1 overall pick that year).