#500 as a walk off, is this a first??

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
It's amazing how in almost every article I've read this morning about Thome's HoF credentials nearly every one of them uses the fact that Thome has spent a very large portion of his career at DH against him.

GP at 1B: 1101

GP at 3B: 492

GP at DH: 377

So apparently spending 19% of your career at designated hitter is enough to keep you out of the hall of fame.

And yes I do put him in on the first ballot. With so many f***ing dickheads and arrogant pricks being voted in I could probably find a place on my ballot for the nicest, most gracious, most humble man to ever play the game. To put up such amazing numbers for so long all while being such an amazing human being and ambassador to the game is just remarkable.

And fortunately, baseball is the one major sport where Hall of Fame voting is to include character. So Jim should do quite well.

An awesome HOF class would be Thomas, Thome and Griffey (He would have to play longer than the other two). With my luck Sosa would end up replacing one of the three.

The ballot process adds some level of degree of greatness to the status of the player and I kind of like it.

Character does mean a lot and will keep Albert Belle and hopefully Sosa out, it will help Thome but Thomas it will hurt.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
and it's a shame, especially with the way those fans shat on him when he returned.

Ted Williams used to get absolutely ripped by the Boston fans. He refused to show them any affection in-game, he was so annoyed by the boos and disrespect he sometimes got. Williams was a very interesting guy, very profane, very arrogant, so the fans would rip him a ton. Point is, getting shat on is a part of the game. And Cleveland fans had every right and fairly good reason to boo him. He'll get over it, they will too, and so will the voters.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)
Ted Williams used to get absolutely ripped by the Boston fans. He refused to show them any affection in-game, he was so annoyed by the boos and disrespect he sometimes got. Williams was a very interesting guy, very profane, very arrogant, so the fans would rip him a ton. Point is, getting shat on is a part of the game. And Cleveland fans had every right and fairly good reason to boo him. He'll get over it, they will too, and so will the voters.

What good reason might that be?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 05:21 PM)
So their reason for booing him was because he left as a free agent for a higher salary? Like almost every other player does?

Lame.

I guess what I object to is any attempt to call the Indian fans classless because they boo him. As far as I'm concerned, the fans have the right to boo whoever they want and in Thome's case, in Zito's case in Oakland, in small-markets where loved superstars leave, the fans have the right to object, especially when the player talks and talks and talks about how much he wants to stay and then leaves. People have been booed for worse. Or better, depending.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
I guess what I object to is any attempt to call the Indian fans classless because they boo him. As far as I'm concerned, the fans have the right to boo whoever they want and in Thome's case, in Zito's case in Oakland, in small-markets where loved superstars leave, the fans have the right to object, especially when the player talks and talks and talks about how much he wants to stay and then leaves. People have been booed for worse. Or better, depending.

Sure. And I'd have the right to boo Thome for hitting number 500 as well, but that would make me lame.

Cleveland fans can boo whomever they want, and they can be as lame as they want. I'd consider it classless to boo Thome on his return to CLE. Just my opinion.

I remember being fairly proud of the fact that most (though not all) of the Sox fans cheered Thomas on his return to Chicago, even though he had a much rockier relationship and exit than Thome did with Cleveland.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
I always thought the booing of Magglio was pretty lame, same goes for Cleveland and Thome.

I thought the booing of Magglio initially was just fine, and I felt the two situations were completely different. Magglio stabbed the White Sox fans in the back by not accepting a 4/$60 offer and then by getting rid of any possibility of him resigning with the Sox when he changed agents to Boras. Thome wanted to go back to Cleveland, and it was Cleveland who did not want him back; their offer absolutely paled him comparison to Philly's, and Jim would have been dumb not to accept it.

If a Sox fan still held the same grudge against Maggs, then I'd agree completely with you

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
Maggs had rocky patches, but I agree it was pretty lame as well.

Personally, I would probably have wound up in the booing Magglio group, entirely because of the way his side dealt with the knee injury and the recovery. I'm still unhappy about the fact that his side wouldn't even let the Sox examine him before the arbitration deadline.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 05:34 PM)
Sure. And I'd have the right to boo Thome for hitting number 500 as well, but that would make me lame.

Cleveland fans can boo whomever they want, and they can be as lame as they want. I'd consider it classless to boo Thome on his return to CLE. Just my opinion.

I remember being fairly proud of the fact that most (though not all) of the Sox fans cheered Thomas on his return to Chicago, even though he had a much rockier relationship and exit than Thome did with Cleveland.

Yeah, but they're very different situations with very different franchises at very different stages. Besides that, you think they're "lame;" I think the word "lame" is lame; we disagree about whether or not they have the right and reason to boo Thome. That's about all I have to say on the topic.

I hate the MLBPA.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 05:36 PM)
Personally, I would probably have wound up in the booing Magglio group, entirely because of the way his side dealt with the knee injury and the recovery. I'm still unhappy about the fact that his side wouldn't even let the Sox examine him before the arbitration deadline.

Like I said - rocky patches. Thus the "kind of".

I agree though that it was a very different scenario than Thome's. I don't think Maggs' career service at that time, no matter how good he was, could compare to Thome or Thomas' total contributions, which were certainly ovation-worthy.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)
I thought the booing of Magglio initially was just fine, and I felt the two situations were completely different. Magglio stabbed the White Sox fans in the back by not accepting a 4/$60 offer and then by getting rid of any possibility of him resigning with the Sox when he changed agents to Boras. Thome wanted to go back to Cleveland, and it was Cleveland who did not want him back; their offer absolutely paled him comparison to Philly's, and Jim would have been dumb not to accept it.

If a Sox fan still held the same grudge against Maggs, then I'd agree completely with you

I think the offer Magglio turned down was more like $48 million for 4 years, but I agree with Pratt. The reason Thome got/gets booed in Cleveland was because he took the money. If Cleveland had traded him, he would get a nice response. Magglio would never have been booed in USCF had he been traded to another team either. What would have been interesting is to see what the response to Robin Ventura would have been if the White Sox had made a legitimate effort into extending him. Thome left the season he hit 52 homers. Ventura played half a season when he left. The fact that he had the serious injury and was going to get a lot of money and Frank Thomas and Albert Belle were still around probably help mute any outrage. Albert Belle got a lot of boos when he returned with the Orioles. Of course, thats a whole different animal.