Garland for Gold Glove?

mshugrue1323

QUOTE(ChiSox1323 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 01:02 AM)
I don't know if this has already been discussed but does anyone else think that Garland"s defense this year merits a gold glove? Of course if Torii hunter can beat out Rowand by not playing half the year...

If Gold Glove means misreading fly balls in the 9th inning or hitting the pitcher's mound with every throw home, then Rowand should have been a Gold Glove winner in 2005.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 01:15 AM)
If Gold Glove means misreading fly balls in the 9th inning or hitting the pitcher's mound with every throw home, then Rowand should have been a Gold Glove winner in 2005.

Or if it means playing a good CF, that might be a better measure, which he certainly does.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 02:18 AM)
He's a good outfielder, but he was nowhere near one of the best defensive outfielders in the AL in 2005.

Granted, that season was all Sox for me, so I can't say emphatically that he was the hands down GG. Devils advocate for a second, not the best outfielder, but up there with CF's. Again though, he may not have been the best, but he did a great job IMO. Better than Hunter, I feel playing time needs to be considered.

QUOTE(ChiSox1323 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 01:02 AM)
I don't know if this has already been discussed but does anyone else think that Garland"s defense this year merits a gold glove? Of course if Torii hunter can beat out Rowand by not playing half the year...

Garland's not even the best fielding pitcher on his OWN team (Buerhle is), let alone in the AL.

Besides, the Gold Glove award should have been disbanded in '99 when Palmiero won it at 1B despite the fact he played only 28 games there. I stopped paying attention to who wins them since everyone who voted that yr apparently did as well.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)
Garland flat out is amongst the best in the AL defensively (imo, he's superior to Buehrle whose also one of the very best in the league). Garland has cat like reflexes and is just a tremendous athlete in general. (I probably sound like hawk).

Agreed. Unfortunately, the Gold Glove (as has been pointed out) is not given to the best defensive player at each position, even though that was the original intention. Its a poster boy contest.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)
Garland flat out is amongst the best in the AL defensively (imo, he's superior to Buehrle whose also one of the very best in the league). Garland has cat like reflexes and is just a tremendous athlete in general. (I probably sound like hawk).

Actually, you sound like Farmio... :D

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 06:42 PM)
If the Gold Glove actually went to the best defensive player every year Crede would have a couple right now. The GG is a joke. I can bet Kenny Rogers will win it this year again even though he didnt play a full season.

Eric Chavez is pretty good. Brandon Inge is better than Crede.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 06:44 PM)
Eric Chavez is pretty good. Brandon Inge is better than Crede.

Brandon Inge is the best defensive 3b in the AL, imo.

Anywho, I think you can make a good argument for Mark and Jon every year as far as gold gloves go. Not happening though.

FRAA consistently puts Buehrle at like 2-7 FRAA and Garland at 1-2 which means they're both good but Buehrle is better. Rowand was a better canidate than Hunter in 2005, better than Vernon Wells too but he was just slightly above average so I'm sure if I looked I could find that he didn't deserve to win either. For example, Ichiro was better and Podsedniks 2005 defense was by far the best I've seen in the AL that year.

The 2005 AL OF Gold Gloves should have been

Randy Winn (SEA) 13 FRAA (split between LF and CF)

Jaque Jones (MIN) 12 FRAA

Scott Podsednik (CHW) 11 FRAA

Runner up;

Nook Logan (DET) 9 FRAA

QUOTE(LukeGofannon @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 07:55 AM)

I have no idea what that stat is but it's pretty awful if those guys were gold glovers.

QUOTE(LukeGofannon @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 05:55 AM)
FRAA consistently puts Buehrle at like 2-7 FRAA and Garland at 1-2 which means they're both good but Buehrle is better. Rowand was a better canidate than Hunter in 2005, better than Vernon Wells too but he was just slightly above average so I'm sure if I looked I could find that he didn't deserve to win either. For example, Ichiro was better and Podsedniks 2005 defense was by far the best I've seen in the AL that year.

Runner up;

Nook Logan (DET) 9 FRAA

The fact that Pods would win the award based on that stats shows me that the stat is severely flawed. I think Pods as a hole had a good 2005 season, but defensively he is not even close to being a gold glover, in fact he's one of the worse defensive left fielders in baseball (and was in 2005 as well). He was better defensively in 05 than he was in 06 (where I honestly think he was the worse defensive lf in all of baseball).