2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

Denver must have been just playing fast break all night long.

It's a shame either them or the Warriors most likely are going to miss out.

Wonder if AI wishes he was back in the East.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trib reportedly fires Sam Smith.

Paper cuts: Business columnist Bill Barnhart, real estate columnist Mary Umberger, City Hall reporter Gary Washburn, travel writer Alan Solomon and basketball expert Sam Smith are among 25 veteran Chicago Tribune writers and editors to take voluntary buyouts, costing the newsroom centuries of experience but sparing it further layoffs in this round of cutbacks.

The exits are part of a plan announced in February to eliminate about 100 jobs throughout the paper, or about 3.5 percent of its overall workforce, as parent Tribune Co. responds to revenue declines by shedding at least 400 or 500 positions by the end of this month.

That's too bad. I subscribe to the trib and I liked being able to open up to the 2nd page and read news about the whole league.

His trade scenarios were ridiculous but he did pack a lot of info into the page. This undoubtedly means NBA coverage in the trib will be severely cut down.

You can get way more info online, but there's nothing like opening up the paper in the morning.

Bulls were up 84-75 after three at New Orleans, a 9 point lead going to the 4th is good right? Not for the Bulls, they were outscored 33-13 in the 4th and fell by 11, 108-97. They are just such dogs, it's amazing/funny to watch.

Oh, and Ben Gordon is TRASH. Even when he scores 31 on 10-17 shooting, hits half of his 10 three pointers, and goes 6-7 at the line, he's a MINUS 23!!! He doesn't rebound, he doesn't pass, he doesn't defend (SEE: Chris Paul in the 4th quater tonight especially), he just is selfish and fires away. He's like a shorter Jamal Crawford.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Iggy would sure be nice to have right now if you're a Bulls fan.

It should be a warning sign if the Bulls end up with a top 4 pick. With Chandler, Curry, Gordon and Thomas, they don't exactly have a great record there do they.

And the Magic beat the Cavs tonight by double digits.

Hedo and Lewis got hot from the outside and if they can do that come playoff time, we can win the East.

The only negative, Jameer Nelson got dominated by Delonte West. Delonte Freakin West. I want Jose Calderon come the off-season.

Another f***ing choke job by the Bulls down the stretch. Paul did have an incredible night though.

Drew Gooden played fantastic for the Bulls. But good freaking grief, they pissed away yet another 4th quarter lead. I can't wait till Boyland gets fired. It isn't all his fault, but it is quite clear that he isn't helping things.

Gooden's actually basically on the perfect team for his skillset.

The Bulls have long needed a low post guy, and Gooden will never be an all - star, but he's a double - double guy who has some decent offensive moves down low. Really fits what the Bulls need from the PF spot.

And the Bulls don't have really have a real superstar, so Gooden will definitely get his shots.

As for the coach, who are the Bulls going to target in the off-season (because Boylan is obviously out of his depth). I suggested Tom Thibodeau or even Jeff Van Gundy, but do the Bulls want a more uptempo type of coach?

I'd try to press and see if you could find a way to get Reggie Theus from the Kings (obviously he is under contract, but I think he'd be a tremendous hire). I could live with Van Gundy as I think he's a very good coach and I could even live with Larry Brown because as much as I hate Brown, I will admit he is a tremendous coach. I also wouldn't have a problem finding a good young coach somewhere and taking a chance.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)
I'd try to press and see if you could find a way to get Reggie Theus from the Kings (obviously he is under contract, but I think he'd be a tremendous hire). I could live with Van Gundy as I think he's a very good coach and I could even live with Larry Brown because as much as I hate Brown, I will admit he is a tremendous coach. I also wouldn't have a problem finding a good young coach somewhere and taking a chance.

Out of the guys you cite, I'd strongly lean towards the "Good young coach" if we can find one...for the specific reason that I don't think either Larry Brown or Van Gundy address what I feel is the team's biggest weakness right now, their total lack of any coherent offensive system that makes use of the guys we have. In other words, I think they're too close to what Skiles brought. Both of those guys are defensive coaches. Look at Houston, NY under Van Gundy, they were never great offensive teams but they put together solid defenses. Look at how Detroit went from being a great defensive team under Brown to a much better offensive team under Flip.

The Bulls have a bunch of guys who should be good, solid individual defenders, and they've been coached to be that way already. Whether the coaching holds I don't know, but what I really don't want to see is another season of us struggling on offense because we insist on playing the slow-it-down, take the full 24 seconds, and either try to isolate Gordon on someone or feed a non-great post scorer in the post because we can't think of anything better to do.

I can say with Orlando, the difference b/w Brian Hill and Stan Van Gundy has been immense.

They both have the same philosophies defensively, but the Magic are just so much better offensively, and SVG gives them the freedom to shoot when they want, and when you have good outside shooters to spread the floor and open up the middle, you're going to do well offensively.

If I was Chicago, I'd certainly look at dealing Hinrich this off-season (although you need a PG to replace him obviously). They should target Calderon, or even T.J Ford.

Milwaulkee is a franchise in shambles.

I read the owner wouldn't allow the GM to make any moves at the deadline, and he won't allow for the coach to install the triangle offense 2/3'rds of the way through the season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 01:53 AM)
Milwaulkee is a franchise in shambles.

I read the owner wouldn't allow the GM to make any moves at the deadline, and he won't allow for the coach to install the triangle offense 2/3'rds of the way through the season.

You'd think that Kohl would have better things to do since he's a senator.

Yes please;

With the Orlando Magic having so many guards in the final year of their contracts — and with center Dwight Howard locked in for many years — there will be free agents all over the league hoping for a ride to Orlando.

Shooting guard Corey Maggette of the Los Angeles Clippers will be among those looking to see what the Magic will do. Maggette has an option to make $8.2 million with the Clips next season. The Magic probably could get him for the mid-level exception ($5.5 million) if they extend it out for five years. Maggette started his career in Orlando, but he was traded after one year during the salary cap purge of 2000.

"We'll sit down this summer and see where it goes," Maggette said before the Clippers were pounded by the Magic last week. "We're not going to the playoffs, so we'll have plenty of time to make that decision. My parents will be happy wherever I play."

Replace Evans and Bogans with Maggette and Redick taking over the bench SG spot, and the Magic will be even better next season.

A lineup of Nelson, Maggette, Hedo, Lewis and Dwight, wow.

Coach's Decision? TANK CITY

Thank God. Let all the young people play and see if they are worthy of a roster spot next year and get the best shot at a top 3 pick. HAVE to get either Beasley, Rose, or Bayless in the draft.

Edited by Palehosefan