Joey Cora up for PIT Manager position

NorthSideSox72

Linky.

Cora might manage the Pirates? That would be good.

I hope he gets it, for two reasons. One, I 'd like to see how he manages, hopefully he'd do well and help the Pirates do better in the NL Central.

Two, I would love to see a veteran old school bench coach, i.e. a guy with managerial experience.

Let's just bump the threads from the last two off seasons when he was up for the Mets job and several others that I do not recall.

To paraphrase the past. I will buy the ticket to Pittsburgh (luggage class). I need a volunteer to drive him to the airport. I also need somebody to pay all the tolls on the highway. I suppose we should give him a snack for the flight too. ...

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
I hope he gets it, for two reasons. One, I 'd like to see how he manages, hopefully he'd do well and help the Pirates do better in the NL Central.

Two, I would love to see a veteran old school bench coach, i.e. a guy with managerial experience.

this would be the very best thing for the whitesox. it may force Guillen to step outside his comfort zone and get a real bench coach.

Further from the Trib. He is interviewing this week. Also, interestingly, the topic of replacement bench coaches includes Rene Lachemann.

Don't worry about the last bullet at the end, this article was written prior to the Erstad/Myers announcement.

I'm somewhat surprised Tony Pena's name hasn't been mentioned as a candidate in Pittsburgh. Maybe it will now that he didn't get the Yankee job.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 08:36 AM)
I'm somewhat surprised Tony Pena's name hasn't been mentioned as a candidate in Pittsburgh. Maybe it will now that he didn't get the Yankee job.

I would think Pena could be an option as a bench coach in Chicago if he doesn't join Girardi's staff or get another major league job. He could also go to New York with Torre, but If he did that he'd be the 3rd guy as everyone knows Mattingly is going to be brought in and groomed to be Torre's eventual replacement in LA.

Plus, IIRC, the Sox have a great relationship with Pena and have in the past offered him job opportunities.

This would be great for Cora and the Sox. Then Ozzie, would hire an experienced.... Who are we crapping. The Sox will end up hiring all of Ozzie's sons and refer to them as the bench coach committee. No one challenges Ozzie as the alpha male in the club house. Who should we pinch hit? Let's consult the oracle. I'd send a check to the Sox to see Fisk next to Ozzie in the dugout. Anyone who isn't an Ozzie yes man.

This would be great for Cora and the Sox. Then Ozzie, would hire an experienced.... Who are we crapping. The Sox will end up hiring all of Ozzie's sons and refer to them as the bench coach committee. No one challenges Ozzie as the alpha male in the club house. Who should we pinch hit? Let's consult the oracle. I'd send a check to the Sox to see Fisk next to Ozzie in the dugout. Anyone who isn't an Ozzie yes man.

I don't think Cora will get the job because he's the only candidate without connections to the Pirates new front office. It will probably drag through next week due to the GM meetings.

If Cora leaves, in my opinion Guillen will go outside of his circle for a bench coach. The hiring of Jeff Cox signals a shift in direction and I think it's a good shift. Sox brass are examining and questioning everything, as they should.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 10:07 AM)
I don't think Cora will get the job because he's the only candidate without connections to the Pirates new front office. It will probably drag through next week due to the GM meetings.

If Cora leaves, in my opinion Guillen will go outside of his circle for a bench coach. The hiring of Jeff Cox signals a shift in direction and I think it's a good shift. Sox brass are examining and questioning everything, as they should.

Guillen mentioned Rene Lachmann as a strong candidate when they hired Cox. Cora must not think he has a reasonable shot at any better jobs if he really wants the Pirates job. Leyland was able to parlay success there into other options, but unless they evaluate players better, perhaps open the checkbook a little wider, this job appears to be a dead end. Of course, if Ozzie is still around when Cora loses the job (if he's hired) because they continue to lose, he probably will find a place for him on the coaching staff. So maybe that's what he's thinking. If a miracle occurs, he becomes a hot commodity, if not, he runs the show for a few years and comes back and does what he's been doing. Cora has gotten ripped a lot on this board, including by me mostly for some decisions he's made coaching 3rd base, but he does have more than a few people around baseball who think pretty highly of him. I would think he would want to hold out for a better job, because losing at Pittsburgh doesn't appear to get you more opportunities, whether that losing is the manager's fault or not.

Edited by Dick Allen