Torii Hunter

Allsox

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
Levine just stated that the White Sox are going to throw everything economically possible at Torii Hunter. :angry:

Levine also said Uribe is likely done as a White "Sock", and he has said a whole lot more stuff that turned out to be a whole lotta BS.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ I just can't imagine a team that is already showing its age with slow sluggers adding a 33 year old centerfielder coming off a career year in what I could only imagine would be a 5 year deal.

I get it, KW wants to compete in 2008, but a patchwork shot at .500 is going to cripple us for years to come. We should be unloading age, not bringing it on.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 04:00 PM)
Christ I just can't imagine a team that is already showing its age with slow sluggers adding a 33 year old centerfielder coming off a career year in what I could only imagine would be a 5 year deal.

I get it, KW wants to compete in 2008, but a patchwork shot at .500 is going to cripple us for years to come. We should be unloading age, not bringing it on.

He'll be 32 next year and his 2007 OPS was only 13 points higher than '06 and 20 points lower '02.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 07:14 AM)
St. P paper still shows Sox as an interested party for Crawford.

from the same article:

another scenario floating around the meetings is a deal with Minnesota in which the Rays give up Delmon Young and the Twins part with promising pitching prospect Matt Garza.

The Twins would be winning that deal in a landslide if you ask me

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 10:43 AM)
Levine reported today the Sox will make the bigger offer in franchise history, likely something around 5 years, 80 million for Hunter as soon as they're allowed to talk contracts. He's far and away the #1 guy on their list, and he thinks Hunter will be a Sox outfielder next year.

When are they allowed to talk about contracts?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 07:52 AM)
from the same article:

The Twins would be winning that deal in a landslide if you ask me

Rotoworld talks about how the Twins are looking to trade young pitching, namely Garza, for an impact bat

I say offer Fields for Garza and run all the way to the bank.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
Rotoworld talks about how the Twins are looking to trade young pitching, namely Garza, for an impact bat

We could of had him for free, however Lance Broadway was our pick.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)
Lance has shown me a bit at the major league level. I would wait and see on that pick.

I like Lance, but he ain't no Garza, obviously. I think Lance can be a fine end of the rotation guy, or perhaps a good reliever.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)

The Twins are looking at Delmon Young, B.J. Upton, and Carlos Gomez. Fields is junk compared to those names. The Sox simply don't have the talent to players in the trade market.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
The Twins are looking at Delmon Young, B.J. Upton, and Carlos Gomez. Fields is junk compared to those names. The Sox simply don't have the talent to players in the trade market.

Oh I know. I'm merely playing in my fantasy world

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:16 AM)
Wait until he pitches against a patient team that doesnt swing at so much crap out of the zone.

I think that's right. His control is not good. Broadway did not do well in AAA. His numbers are worse than his 4.65 ERA indicates. He had a 1.5 WHIP and K/BB of 6/4.5. That's terrible. And the IL was a horrible offensive league last season. I don't think Broadway would do well as a starting pitcher in the big leagues.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:24 AM)
I think that's right. His control is not good. Broadway did not do well in AAA. His numbers are worse than his 4.65 ERA indicates. He had a 1.5 WHIP and K/BB of 6/4.5. That's terrible. And the IL was a horrible offensive league last season. I don't think Broadway would do well as a starting pitcher in the big leagues.

If you are going to look at his numbers in AAA, then you should also keep in mind that he spent that year adding a new pitch and experimenting. He and people in the organization have said as much. That's not to say the numbers are completely invalid, but, if you want to get into saying "his numbers are worse than his ERA indicates", then you should consider the whole picture.

I liked what I saw of his MLB start, but it was just one start. His track record seems to indicate he's marginal for being a major league starter.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
I liked what I saw of his MLB start, but it was just one start. His track record seems to indicate he's marginal for being a major league starter.

We've seen several teams in the last year give up surprising amounts for 5th starter type people who do nothing but eat innings.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 11:08 AM)
We've seen several teams in the last year give up surprising amounts for 5th starter type people who do nothing but eat innings.

Who are you thinking about, specifically? I'm drawing a blank as to names comparable to Broadway in any way.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)
Who are you thinking about, specifically? I'm drawing a blank as to names comparable to Broadway in any way.

I'm thinking about the money thrown at guys like Gil Meche, Jason Marquis, Ted Lilly, the amount that's about to be thrown at Silva, etc. He needs to step up to the point of actually being a #5 starter to get there, but that's certianly not out of the question.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
I'm thinking about the money thrown at guys like Gil Meche, Jason Marquis, Ted Lilly, the amount that's about to be thrown at Silva, etc. He needs to step up to the point of actually being a #5 starter to get there, but that's certianly not out of the question.

Gil Meche was given that money with the thought that he was very very good, which scouts have always thought, but that he'd finally gotten healthy; Lilly is a good pitcher; Marquis sucks; Silva's a good pitcher, too. As for those guys -- I don't think Broadway is all that comparable to Meche or Lilly and I'm not sure he's as "good" as Marquis and he'll have to eat up a lot of innings putting up Garland-numbers to be comparable to Silva.

Anybody hear Hunter this morning on Silvy and Waddle? Sure it may be a pep rally, especially considering the way Torii tends to run his mouth. Surprised this hadn't been mentioned yet, but he seems like he really wants to come here. He will be meeting with KW on Sunday, and wants to play for a big market like Chicago. He also mentioned that the Dodgers and Nationals seemed to be interested off the bat, but would like to finish his career with this contract. Has always loved to play at the Cell, knows he has hit well there, loves to play D in CF there, and mentioned the grass is true. (thank u Sodfather) Also stated that he has always been fond of Ozzie since he was young playing spring training through minor leagues, he's always made him laugh, and he'd really like to play for him someday... he is now just realizing that this might become a reality and "you never know"

Silvy brought up the Jamie Burke incident, and Hunter said he actually got a couple death threats about that, but people joke about that with him all the time in Chicago now. He basically stated it was a gut reaction and a litt'l ghetto came out of him... but a good play nonetheless, just something Sox fans were obviosuly not happy with at the time. He would welcome coming to Chicago, he had a lot of family and freinds here, and is not scared of the way the media and fans treated Jacque Jones on the North Side. "We are two completely different people, I like to be out in the streets and be social."

5 years might be rough... but damnit, I want him.