Torii Hunter

Allsox

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(G&T @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
Score just reported that th Dodgers may have offered Hunter a 6 year deal for over $100 million.

Stress may have.

I figured someone would go 6/15 and pray for a miracle. There is three shots out there and four or five teams gunning. If I was Rowand, I'd be waiting for Hunter to sign, that may make the likes of the Rangers and Sox getting a little fidgety. There is probably a formula for what Rowand gets based on Hunter's contract. Perhaps 75%-80%. But Hunter will establish the market for the other guys. If the report is true, those guys should kiss the Dodger's asses.

I figured someone would go 6/15 and pray for a miracle. There is three shots out there and four or five teams gunning. If I was Rowand, I'd be waiting for Hunter to sign, that may make the likes of the Rangers and Sox getting a little fidgety. There is probably a formula for what Rowand gets based on Hunter's contract. Perhaps 75%-80%. But Hunter will establish the market for the other guys. If the report is true, those guys should kiss the Dodger's asses.

I doubt very much that this is true. 6 for 100 would have the Dodgers offering more years and more dollars per year than anyone else. The Rangers offered a 6 year contract at 13-14 million per year. This would be 6 years with more than 16 per. That just doesn't make sense. I have a difficult time believing it and I haven't seen it reported anywhere else. The Score beat reporters are far from reliable. I trust Bruce Levine before I would trust them and I barely trust him.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 12:40 AM)
I doubt very much that this is true. 6 for 100 would have the Dodgers offering more years and more dollars per year than anyone else. The Rangers offered a 6 year contract at 13-14 million per year. This would be 6 years with more than 16 per. That just doesn't make sense. I have a difficult time believing it and I haven't seen it reported anywhere else. The Score beat reporters are far from reliable. I trust Bruce Levine before I would trust them and I barely trust him.

Another reason I can't see this being true is that the Dodgers are targeting either Cabrera or Santana. Either would cost them well over $100 million to extend their contracts. I don't see why they'd go over the top of everyone else when they are most likely planning on spending so much elsewhere.

QUOTE(G&T @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
Another reason I can't see this being true is that the Dodgers are targeting either Cabrera or Santana. Either would cost them well over $100 million to extend their contracts. I don't see why they'd go over the top of everyone else when they are most likely planning on spending so much elsewhere.

Technically speaking signing Rowand (who they are hot after) or Hunter are key for them to get Cabrera or Santana (or both) as it will allow them to be able to easily move their young outfielders (Ethier/Loney/Kemp).

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
The last I heard Fukodome has been compared to Jacque Jones. Do the White Sox really need an overpaid Japanese version of Jacque Jones?

Fukodome is thought of as an on base machine. Nowhere do the words On Base Machine and Jacque Jones belong in the same sentence (or comparison). Fukodome won't hit for a ton of power but I liken him to a 15-20 HR, above average defense, .360 OBP plus (once he settles into the league), tons of toubles type of player.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 01:36 AM)
Technically speaking signing Rowand (who they are hot after) or Hunter are key for them to get Cabrera or Santana (or both) as it will allow them to be able to easily move their young outfielders (Ethier/Loney/Kemp).

That's true, but I still don't think they would go over the top by that much. I'm not saying the Dodgers aren't trying to sign Hunter, only that the report might be inaccurate.

So with Hunter going to Los Angeles, do we now embrace the cries for "THE FIRE AND THE PASSION" and spend big money on Rowand? Or do we invest the money more sensibly and maybe start looking to trade candidates?

I think we dodged a bad bad contract by missing out on Hunter. Hunter is a hell of a player but is dangerous in terms of the money he costs, his age, and his health.

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Outfielder Torii Hunter and the Los Angeles Angels reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday night on a five-year contract thought to be worth at least $80 million.

ESPN.com

I know kw is hurting after this one. But its a horrible deal. the Angels had absolutely no need for a CF'er and have basically given up on Mcab, which is good news for us.

Edited by RockRaines