Jon Garland traded for Orlando Cabrera

Steve9347

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)
How could this be setting up for something bigger? Maybe for the Angels, sure. But Garland has way more value on the trade market than Cabrera I would think. So where does that lead us?

Honestly the only thing I've really got for you is that maybe the money saved is thrown at a FA and we go from there. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me if the only thing we've done is improved our chance at draft picks. Matter of fact, it seems pretty awful if that's where our priorities are in trading one of our more marketable pieces. Given that, I can't assume that Kenny Williams is incompetent enough to have that be his strategy.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those asking about the $$, here's what the report says:

"Cabrera, 33, earns $9 million in 2008, marking the final year of his current four-year deal. He has 112 career playoff at-bats, including hitting .200 against the White Sox during the 2005 American League Championship Series, and was part of the Red Sox 2004 World Series championship squad.

By moving Garland, the White Sox took $12 million off the books for 2008, while also seemingly opening a rotation spot for both John Danks and Gavin Floyd -- assuming general manager Ken Williams does not add another veteran arm to the rotation. "

If I recall, Garland is on for $12 M in '08. Presuming that...to take $12M "off the books," wouldn't that mean the Halos are sending about $9M in cash with this deal?

Recall, too, that for a good hitting, defensive pro like Cabrara, 33 isn't that old. For Chrissake, Vizquel is still playing...and playing well. This might turn out to be one grerat deal. And for the doofus that was clamoring the Tejada...plan on seeing that 'roid ragers name front and center in the Mitchell report. Why do you think NO ONE is willing to touch him?

QUOTE(buckweaver @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
To those asking about the $$, here's what the report says:

"Cabrera, 33, earns $9 million in 2008, marking the final year of his current four-year deal. He has 112 career playoff at-bats, including hitting .200 against the White Sox during the 2005 American League Championship Series, and was part of the Red Sox 2004 World Series championship squad.

By moving Garland, the White Sox took $12 million off the books for 2008, while also seemingly opening a rotation spot for both John Danks and Gavin Floyd -- assuming general manager Ken Williams does not add another veteran arm to the rotation. "

If I recall, Garland is on for $12 M in '08. Presuming that...to take $12M "off the books," wouldn't that mean the Halos are sending about $9M in cash with this deal?

Recall, too, that for a good hitting, defensive pro like Cabrara, 33 isn't that old. For Chrissake, Vizquel is still playing...and playing well. This might turn out to be one grerat deal. And for the doofus that was clamoring the Tejada...plan on seeing that 'roid ragers name front and center in the Mitchell report. Why do you think NO ONE is willing to touch him?

No. The $12 mil "off the books" is in moving Garland, as an isolated move. It implies NOTHING about the cash involved in the deal.

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:49 PM)
I'm not a huge defense stat-head, can you show me the stats that suggest this?

If nothing else, I'll just give you Fielding %age to start off. Last year, Eckstein made 20 errors in 310 attempts. Cabrera made 11 in 415 attempts. .983/.960.

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
I'm not a huge defense stat-head, can you show me the stats that suggest this?

David Eckstein has the arm of a 10 year old girl and plays a position where you need to be able to make strong throws from deep in the hole in order to be effective. He's a glorified secondbaseman.

Kenny Williams, what the f*** are you doing? Jon Garland, a 28 year old right handed sinkerballer, for a decent 33 year old SS? Are you f***ing kidding me?

Okay, there were some thoughts about trading Garland, but you just traded him for crap you dumbass Kenny Williams. Couldn't have tried to get a leadoff hitter as well? f*** you Kenny, and hello last place finish.

My dad's response when I called and told him about this trade:

You mean Miguel Cabrera, right? Miguel Cabrera, right? Not Orlando. You mean Miguel, it had to have been Miguel they acquired. Right?

No.

. . .Oh. I have to go.

I have a question... why sign Uribe for 5 million, and then trade for a SS? Okay, lots of people were expecting to see Garland traded, but our biggest need right now on offense is a leadoff hitter! This tells me that KW and Ozzie are now planning on having Jerry Owens start in CF and leadoff...