striker

99 members have voted

1. 1. Rowand, A. Jones or Hunter?

• Rowand
    • A. Jones
    • Hunter
    • Crisp
    • Owens (use the extra money elsewhere)

If it doesn't matter if we win more games, andit doesn't matter that we are not wasting lots of money on a not so great talent..aaron rowand all the way i'd love to see him back out there being a bad#ss, but if the result needs to be winning baseball games and then the world series then we need torri hunter for sure..so my answer is torri hunter i guess... i'm sorry rowand

Jones. His career bad year was really only bad in terms of average. His Defense picked up and he still put up good HR and RBI totals. I see him back to his norm next season. Plus, he is younger than Hunter.

Besides, I am currently residing in Texas so having Jones a Sox and Hunter a Ranger would work nicely for me. :huh

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
Jones. His career bad year was really only bad in terms of average. His Defense picked up and he still put up good HR and RBI totals. I see him back to his norm next season. Plus, he is younger than Hunter.

Besides, I am currently residing in Texas so having Jones a Sox and Hunter a Ranger would work nicely for me. :huh

Jones is a shell of what he was defensively and will cost way too much. I'd have to go with Hunter or Rowand.

The more I think about Jones, the better I like the situation. With his dip, I just don't see him getting the same money or years as Rowand. The guy is still great defensively and over the last three years he's been a better hit on road than at Turner Field.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
Says who? He still rates well in most defensive metrics and the fans still think he's above average out there.

But if you say so...

Did you see Jones back in the late '90s? He's put on 40 lbs. since then and, even if it's still "above average" in CF, his defense has regressed big-time. No way that I want that guy for the next 7 or 8 years, especially when Borass is going to want a salary that matches what Jones did years ago, rather than how he'll perform on the wrong side of 30.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 01:11 AM)
Did you see Jones back in the late '90s? He's put on 40 lbs. since then and, even if it's still "above average" in CF, his defense has regressed big-time. No way that I want that guy for the next 7 or 8 years, especially when Borass is going to want a salary that matches what Jones did years ago, rather than how he'll perform on the wrong side of 30.

He may be 'regressing', but he's regressing from one of the best centerfielders to ever play the game (defensively). So he has a ways to go before he's below average. I'll admit to not seeing many Braves games, but his instincts out there still strike me as first class.

As far as seven or eight year, I highly doubt he's going to get that. I'm much more of a fan of getting Jones on a deal similar to the one JD Drew got from the Dodgers, where it's a five year deal (at a semi-reduced price -- say $12-13 per season) that gives Jones an option to opt out after the second year, giving him another shot to get paid (so long as he gives the Sox two reasonably good years).

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 08:41 PM)
Considering Jones had to come out and publically say he would not sign a one year deal, I doubt there are any GMs out there offering anything like 7 or 8 years.

I thought he said that he wouldn't do it unless he had no other options, not that he wouldn't do it at all -- am I misremembering?

Boras can swear and affirm and stomp and bellow that he won't sign a one-year deal. If Andruw isn't getting paid on a multi-year deal, he'll do a one-year. Or, like Keith said, something with an opt-out (although I'd bet on the one-year, just because of age).