Black Friday

GoodAsGould

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 09:03 PM)
I, uhh, kinda sat around all day. I pretty much pledged that I would not shop on this god forsaken day.

I wouldn't have shopped either but today was the only day that I'd be in the area where I could upgrade the cell phone. So, that ended up being my only purchase -- and my parents took me out for dinner.

I wanted, as best I could, to be part of BND to be more mindful of my consumption. That said, I am totally spending tomorrow cleaning out my closet of old clothes and unwanted clothes that no longer fit in order to get a few new professional sets of clothes for work.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
I don't do Black Friday, but my wife and her Mom picked up a bunch of stuff for the Secret Santa thing we're doing for an underprivileged family.

They got toys for the son, gifts for the Mom and Dad, clothes for all three, plus food and sundries, all for under 150 bucks.

If you really cared you would have froze your ass off at Black Friday sales and brought home twice as much stuff. But I guess underprivileged kids don't deserve your best efforts. Oops, sorry, I thought you were John Edwards or Al Gore. :P

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)

If you really cared you would have froze your ass off at Black Friday sales and brought home twice as much stuff. But I guess underprivileged kids don't deserve your best efforts. Oops, sorry, I thought you were John Edwards or Al Gore. :P

HOW DARE YOU!!!!

I WAS THERE IN SPIRIT!!!

:D

I recall now that while I was eating breakfast I did think "Oh, they're probably almost done shopping now. That's such a nice thing we're doing...."

:lol: :bang

After vowing I'd NEVER go shopping on Black Friday, I must confess (shudder) I actually bought something. I flew back from Midway Airport Friday morning and stopped at one of the gift shops (I believe it was Chicago Treasures) and I bought the 2005 World Series Monopoly game for my nephews. Believe it or not they still don't have one yet, and for those of you flying out of MDW any time soon they still have a few on hand and they're only $29.99!

Edited by zimne piwo

Well I got my 37" TV ahead of time and did the PA on Friday, but I guess that counts as a Black Friday purchase. We didn't get up super early, but went to the mall around 7:00 am. Got a couple of those "perfect pillows" the memory foam ones $19.99 Reg $80.00. Got some nice sheets for $30.00 Reg $100.00. Espresso machine for the mother in law $18.88 Reg $59.99. Got some clothes and pj's for our daughter. Everything was 60% off. Got some other little knick knacks as well.

I guess the waiting in line all night for deals is a bit extreme, but as far as just going out on BF...I don't think it's as bad as people make it seem. It's just like going to the mall a couple weeks before xmas. The big thing is don't always go to the first line you see. I took the stuff I was going to buy upstairs and paid at like a purse section....there was only one person at the register and she was buying a purse. The other store there were 3 people in line, but 4 registers open....so that went super fast. There are some great deals to be had if you go.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
Hey, I'm just reporting my Black Friday experience, I can't help what your conscience does to you...

:P :lol:

I bought two bundles of firewood and a half-day canoe rental. Family camping has become the Thanksgiving tradition, and this year we were up in Ocala National Forest. The slow-roasted campfire turkey came out wonderful and threats of heavy downpours never materialized.

Being back at work sucks arse. :angry:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 10:38 AM)
I bought two bundles of firewood and a half-day canoe rental. Family camping has become the Thanksgiving tradition, and this year we were up in Ocala National Forest. The slow-roasted campfire turkey came out wonderful and threats of heavy downpours never materialized.

Being back at work sucks arse. :angry:

Clearwater Lake?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
Clearwater Lake?

Salt Springs, north-central part of the National Forest. Scenic 4-mile spring run to Lake George. Lots of Florida Trail Association trails. Also a lot of deer hunters to try to steer clear of, but we make sure not to put our kids in their antler hats when we go out hiking. . . :D

I refuse to wait until next Thanksgiving to camp again. I'm trying to figure out where to go for a trip in January or February.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 10:54 AM)
Salt Springs, north-central part of the National Forest. Scenic 4-mile spring run to Lake George. Lots of Florida Trail Association trails. Also a lot of deer hunters to try to steer clear of, but we make sure not to put our kids in their antler hats when we go out hiking. . . :D

I refuse to wait until next Thanksgiving to camp again. I'm trying to figure out where to go for a trip in January or February.

Did you have to hand over hand the canoe down the springs?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
Did you have to hand over hand the canoe down the springs?

No punting, no poling, mostly easy paddling with just some tall hydrilla to fight through here and there. The headwaters of the spring are roped off as a good old-fashioned swimmin' hole, and the canoes put in a few hundred meters downstream.

QUOTE(hogsmom @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 09:13 PM)
We swam there during a visit to my parents place. The water was cold and the alligators came out during the rain. It was cool!

My Cracker wife says it's too cold for her, but me and the kids swam for a good hour before they're chattering teeth convinced me I'd better drag them out. :D

My cold-tolerance has certainly diminished in the almost 20 years down here, but as long as the air temperature is in the 70s or above I'll swim in 72º water all day. Or at least until hypothermia sets in. :P

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
Oh, you'll rave too - it shocked me how much better a hockey broadcast is in HD than standard broadcast quality.

Of course last night there weren't any HD broadcasts... :(

I'll pick one up in the next couple of days hopefully. But I must say, it's AMAZING the difference just on regular tv shows.