Sox Acquire Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter; DFA Heath Phillips

SoxFan1

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
So will he be able to play in ST?

I didn't ask that, I just wanted to know how the surgery went and how it was doing. When was the surgery? That type of surgery isn't anymore than 4-6 months on the very conservative end. From what I've heard he is progressing very well.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 04:41 AM)
I didn't ask that, I just wanted to know how the surgery went and how it was doing. When was the surgery? That type of surgery isn't anymore than 4-6 months on the very conservative end. From what I've heard he is progressing very well.

According to an article posted at SouthSideSox, he had surgery in October. I'll double-check immediately after posting this.

Yep, October:

This left shoulder problem was repaired through arthroscopic surgery in October, and Quentin hopes his current rehab path will have him ready for Spring Training in February. Quentin suffered a Type 2 tear in his labrum and a tear in his rotator cuff, which both had to be anchored back down.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:52 PM)
According to an article posted at SouthSideSox, he had surgery in October. I'll double-check immediately after posting this.

If that's the case then he should be ready or very close to it depending on the doc's protocol. Especially since it was his non-throwing shoulder.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
If that's the case then he should be ready or very close to it depending on the doc's protocol. Especially since it was his non-throwing shoulder.

I'm not too familiar with the injury. How and/or will it affect his swing? I would guess at the very least it would zap some strength that would need to be built up over time. Could he be at full strength by opening day?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:59 PM)
I'm not too familiar with the injury. How and/or will it affect his swing? I would guess at the very least it would zap some strength that would need to be built up over time. Could he be at full strength by opening day?

He will be at full strength. The labrum is a piece of cartilage which surrounds the shoulder socket to make it more stable. The bicep tendon attaches to the superior potion of it which is why pitchers tend to injure it also. During a swing the humeral head in the shoulder will rise, spin and compress this area. So this area hurts and the batter cannot fully raise up the arm to follow through with the swing.

It is a piece of cartilage like in the knee. The MD in this case will tack it down and tighten the area a little. So it's not a matter of strength as much as healing time and regaining normal motion. He should be ready around ST and for the season

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 06:55 PM)
Is Rogers actually suggesting here that Carter has a higher ceiling that Quentin? I would argue the exact opposite, given the positions they play. As a 1st baseman, compared to a corner OF, I think the guy putting up the high OPS in the OF, with better defense, and actually about 75-100 points higher of OPS, along with more speed based on the stolen base numbers, is more valuable.

20 years old v. 25 years old; I stand by my argument though I still think it's a great deal for the Sox. It's harder to put limits on Carter's ceiling because he's shown such huge power potential at such a young age while as good of a player as Quentin projects to be based on his minor league performance, you have a better idea what you're going to get from him with 1700+ pro at bats under his belt with 1500 of those coming at AA or higher. The fact that Quentin projects as a good outfielder whereas Carter projects as a mediocre first basemen is certainly relevant but good hitting corner outfielders aren't much harder to come by than good hitting 1B so we're really only talking about Quentin being a game better than Carter defensively in a season.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 06:59 PM)
Mr. Rogers luuuuuuuuvs to stir the pot with Sox fans. He can't go an article about the Sox without making a comment about the *insert backhanded compliment* of sox fans. He doesn't throw s*** at the wall like Mariotti... he just puts the scent in the air enough to irritate Soxdom.

As I've said earlier in this thread, I don't see it as an insult in any way. Trading a player with a slightly higher ceiling for one who's perhaps more of a sure thing and an exceptionally better fit for this team right now isn't a poor or mediocre move by any stretch of the imagination. Saying that Quentin doesn't have a higher ceiling than Carter despite the tremendous advantage of being ready to play every day in the majors right away is only saying that the Sox didn't land the steal of the decade with this deal, not that the trade wasn't a very good one. If Quentin had a higher ceiling than Carter that'd be like trading DLS for Bucholz, Hughes, or maybe even King Felix.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
If Quentin had a higher ceiling than Carter that'd be like trading DLS for Bucholz, Hughes, or maybe even King Felix.

I don't know how on earth you can make that comparison; Quentin is coming off a shoulder surgery and had no room in Arizona. And besides that, you are talking about trading a top 50 pitching prospect for one of the top 5-10 young arms in the game; this is like trading a top 100 prospect for a former top 25 who just had surgery and has fallen out of favor with the organization he was in.

I don't know how on earth you can make that comparison; Quentin is coming off a shoulder surgery and had no room in Arizona. And besides that, you are talking about trading a top 50 pitching prospect for one of the top 5-10 young arms in the game; this is like trading a top 100 prospect for a former top 25 who just had surgery and has fallen out of favor with the organization he was in.

Agreed. I think I see what the intent was but Carter for Quentin is not anything like landing a King Felix for DLS.

QUOTE(Chombi @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 11:54 PM)
Agreed. I think I see what the intent was but Carter for Quentin is not anything like landing a King Felix for DLS.

I do too, but this is a different scenario all together, which is why it was actually made possible.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 11:54 PM)
Just read on another site that Rowand has a 5 year offer from a team (not the Sox).

I honestly don't know whether that is good or bad. I'm almost to the point where I say bring Andruw Jones in at almost all costs, because the next best options if f'ing Coco Crisp or Corey Patterson, and I hate the s*** out of both of those choices.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:27 AM)
Not sure if it makes sense, it probably doesn't, but if Crisp is acquired to play CF, and that is the last of the big moves this off-season, I hate the Quentin deal.

I couldn't agree more with you....that team would come in last in the AL Central.

Wow, so I just read through the entire thread and it seems, judging from all of your collective comments, that this trade is great. I also agree on the notion that Kenny will not just be flipping Quentin for someone else. He'll be on the team in '08.

Still have no idea who will be leading off, and I don't like the idea of Owens in CF/leadoff at all... come on Kenny, pull off a big one, "under-the-radar" style.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 09:44 PM)
I'd say that about a lot of GM's but not Kenny. If he was willing to deal Aaron Rowand coming off a world series championship he'll be willing to deal Paul Konerko if it makes the team better.

Maybe. But there is a big difference between trading Rowand and getting Jim f***ing Thome, and dealing Konerko and getting Conor Jackson. The ill-effects of dealing fan favorite Rowand were tempered by receiving Jim goddamn Thome.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 12:27 AM)
Not sure if it makes sense, it probably doesn't, but if Crisp is acquired to play CF, and that is the last of the big moves this off-season, I hate the Quentin deal.

You are right that that doesn't make any sense. Feel free to hate anything that nets Crisp because it's likely not worth it. Also he's a worse player than Quentin. It seems idiotic to then "hate" the Quentin deal which is excellent in its own right.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
I definitely want Quentin, Fields and Danks to stay and would be happier to see them perform well in '08 and become future stars rather than getting one superstar and creating 2 holes now and more in the future.

me 2. now that i thought it all through. sure id love to have miggy and wouldnt be pissed if we got him either. but i rather sign jones to a 2 yr contract or something and keep fields, danks,etc

cabrera

quentin

thome

jones

konerko

dye

aj

fields

richar

Haven't posted in awhile so I guess I'll shake off the rust...heh.

Just wanted to say I'm a big fan of this deal. Outside of Quentin's abilities as a hitter and a defender (as I'm sure has been outlined enough so far) he adds the Sox further flexibility in the free agent market as well as the trade market.

I mean Jose f'n Guillen is about to sign with the royals for 12million per (3 years, $36 million). Don't get me wrong, I think Guillen is a nice player (def. has some issues though) but $12 million? That's pretty ridiculous. The Sox just got a guy for basically the league minimum for the next couple years that should put up a good obp and some decent numbers. This is something I believe (as well as many others here believe) they desperately needed...a cheap, young solution in the lineup.

To me, this points to someone like Fukudome rather than Andruw Jones. The market has been set on Jones, and Boras wont budge (although he could end up getting screwed if Jones continues to sit out on the market...many teams are filling their need for OFs already).

QUOTE(Fotop @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)
Haven't posted in awhile so I guess I'll shake off the rust...heh.

Just wanted to say I'm a big fan of this deal. Outside of Quentin's abilities as a hitter and a defender (as I'm sure has been outlined enough so far) he adds the Sox further flexibility in the free agent market as well as the trade market.

I mean Jose f'n Guillen is about to sign with the royals for 12million per (3 years, $36 million). Don't get me wrong, I think Guillen is a nice player (def. has some issues though) but $12 million? That's pretty ridiculous.

the whole market is messed up. 12mil 4 him? yea thats ridiculous! i dont think jones accepts a 2 yr/36mil deal now

Dan (Chicago, IL): True or False. Carlos Quentin will be more valuable at league minimum than Jose Guillen at 36 mil and Torii Hunter at 90 mil.

SportsNation Rob Neyer: (12:05 PM ET ) Unknown. Quentin's performance in the majors this season does raise some real questions, particularly regarding his health. But I do think he'll be the best of those three players in 2010.

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 08:00 PM)
That doesn't make sense. Carter won't see the bigs this year.

If they keep Tony Clark for two years though then Carter has a chance to be ready, plus it might only take 4 mill to keep clark for those years.

Quentin, acquired Monday from Arizona, revealed he has sought counseling to help combat the stress he has placed on himself.

"I've taken steps in the past to alleviate any internal stress the game creates," Quentin told the East Valley Tribune in Mesa, Ariz. "I've tried to use every advantage to prepare myself. I have certain people I talk to, mental coaches. I've definitely taken steps to develop the physical and the mental."

Hopefully the therapy keeps the pucker factor to a minimum.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 11:23 PM)
Hopefully the therapy keeps the pucker factor to a minimum.

Good to see he's getting help for it, but the fact that he's also apparently somewhat of a mental midget doesn't make this day any better. Hopefully he can produce really well this season.