Sox Acquire Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter; DFA Heath Phillips

SoxFan1

I don't understand how this compares to the Lee/Pods deal at all. KW said that was a baseball move, but it really wasn't; it merely freed some payroll up and allowed the Sox to bring in 2-3 more good, cheap players into the mix.

That's just dumb to compare it to Lee/Pods, but maybe that's just me personally.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
I don't understand how this compares to the Lee/Pods deal at all. KW said that was a baseball move, but it really wasn't; it merely freed some payroll up and allowed the Sox to bring in 2-3 more good, cheap players into the mix.

That's just dumb to compare it to Lee/Pods, but maybe that's just me personally.

I agree with you. Maybe he meant by getting Quentin we don't have to spend money on two of's and thus have money freed for other holes? Overall though, it's nothing like the Lee-Pods trade.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
More likely, KW is again working under the radar, and it will be something no one expected. He does excel at that.

I wouldnt say he excels at it, but it's more like... he LIKES to do it, and pulls the trigger impulsively to make sure he always does it that way.

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
Quentin's exit from Arizona was a given, with Eric Byrnes in left field, Chris Young in center and Justin Upton in right, and perhaps that drove down his market.

I think Josh Byrnes is a phenomenal GM but paying Byrnes $30 million over three seasons and jettisoning Quentin makes little sense to me.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
I think Josh Byrnes is a phenomenal GM but paying Byrnes $30 million over three seasons and jettisoning Quentin makes little sense to me.

Fan pressure (Byrnes is the defacto face of the D'backs) heavily influenced the D'backs owner to mandate the GM Byrnes to sign the OF Byrnes

QUOTE(soxfaninpa @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)
So who gets traded for Crisp then? I've read the red sox are looking for good prospects. We wouldn't actually give up Gio/Egbert/Fields/DLS for Coco Crisp, right? Because if that's the case they can keep him. I'd give them Kyle McCulloch and a choice of a reliever. I don't think he's worth much more than that

It's possible Quentin gets shipped to BOS along with another good prospect for Crisp. And I do think it's possible the Sox would give up a good prospect plus Quentin for Crisp. BOS wants a good position player and top pitching prospect supposedly and the White Sox really seem to like Crisp a lot (at least in the media).

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
It's possible Quentin gets shipped to BOS along with another good prospect for Crisp. And I do think it's possible the Sox would give up a good prospect plus Quentin for Crisp. BOS wants a good position player and top pitching prospect supposedly and the White Sox really seem to like Crisp a lot (at least in the media).

I wouldn't want to give up Quentin for Crisp straight-up, let alone Quentin plus someone.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)

A lot of that was PR because he's such a fan favorite. I know you wouldn't think the teams honestly do that...but that was part of it. Don't get me wrong....I love Eric Byrnes and he was vital to that team. He was rewarded for his contributions...and plus...3 years of veteran leadership was needed with such a young outfield IMO. He was their Rowand. :D

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)

That would be a terrible idea IMHO.

If the Sox wanted Crisp, wouldn't they just offer Carter straight up to the Red Sox for him? Quentin for 4-5 season (with a few at minimum salary) > Crisp for 2 years (I think that's his contract status, and he's getting paid something like 5.5M in 2008).

And you have to ask if Crisp will rebound or not?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
I wouldn't want to give up Quentin for Crisp straight-up, let alone Quentin plus someone.

I wouldn't either, and hopefully it doesn't happen. I just wouldn't be shocked if it did since BOS seems to be demanding a lot for Crisp and Crisp is mentioned daily as a Sox trade target by the media.

Nice work KW...now if you can move Uribe for a bag of chips we will be making real progres..

How about trading Konerko to the Angels for Figgins and a decent starting pitcher (#3/#4).

Then they will sign Rowand at CF, with Rowand back on the team Crede will sign a cheap incentive laden 2-yr. extension and Fields or Crede will play 1st.

Just a thought but not too unrealistic at least I don't think so. The Angels seemed to be down on Figgins a bit last year. Fill all of our holes we become fairly flexible. Perhaps we still deal Crede (maybe at the break after his value improves) and try to get a 1B prospect from someone or included in the PK trade.

1B - Crede

2B - Richar

SS - Cabrera

3B - Fields / Figgins

C - AJP

OF - Quentin, Rowand, Dye, / Figgins

Bench:

Figgins (super sub)

Uribe (to be traded)

Owens

Pablo

Rotation

MB

Javy

Angels Pitcher

Count

Denks

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 05:15 PM)
Nice work KW...now if you can move Uribe for a bag of chips we will be making real progres..

How about trading Konerko to the Angels for Figgins and a decent starting pitcher (#3/#4).

Then they will sign Rowand at CF, with Rowand back on the team Crede will sign a cheap incentive laden 2-yr. extension and Fields or Crede will play 1st.

Just a thought but not too unrealistic at least I don't think so. The Angels seemed to be down on Figgins a bit last year. Fill all of our holes we become fairly flexible. Perhaps we still deal Crede (maybe at the break after his value improves) and try to get a 1B prospect from someone or included in the PK trade.

1B - Crede

2B - Richar

SS - Cabrera

3B - Fields / Figgins

C - AJP

OF - Quentin, Rowand, Dye, / Figgins

Bench:

Figgins (super sub)

Uribe (to be traded)

Owens

Pablo

Rotation

MB

Javy

Angels Pitcher

Count

Denks

Enough with Crede going to first base already. He is only a starter in the bigs because of his defense. Otherwise he is looked upon as a bench player. Now I think his bat can come back, but his real strength is his fielding, and he becomes almost worthless at first base.

Just saw the trade, I personally like it.

Im not too high on minor leaguers in general though, I dont care how good they are in A, AA or AAA, if you cant hit/play in MLB its best to get rid of them while they have some hype.

Hopefully Carlos is healthy, hes definitely talented and gets on base and hitting in the cell might even boost his stats, sure will be nice for him to get out a divison with some of the best pitchers in the league in Webb, Peavy and etc...

So do you guys think we might platoon him with a player we might sign/acquire later or with someone in the organization? Just curious because he struggles against lefties at the plate though maybe his injuries slowed him down.

I really think that with this trade one of Crede or Fields has to go though.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
Enough with Crede going to first base already. He is only a starter in the bigs because of his defense. Otherwise he is looked upon as a bench player. Now I think his bat can come back, but his real strength is his fielding, and he becomes almost worthless at first base.

I covered my bases on that stating he still gets shipped for a 1B prospect. The likelihood of Crede sticking around is remote and I do feel the best move is to trade him now. This option you could also have Crede at 3B, Fields at 1B for 1/2 year until you trade Crede. Hell you can trade Crede in ST if he proves he can still play 3rd. I do think Crede would consider dumping Boras and signing a reasonable deal if Rowand was brought back (although I am not a big Rowand fan especially at his $$s)

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)

That would be a disaster and won't happen. Kenny was smart enough to get Quentin, I feel certain he's not dumb enough to trade him for worse, more expensive Crisp.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)
Hopefully Carlos is healthy, hes definitely talented and gets on base and hitting in the cell might even boost his stats, sure will be nice for him to get out a divison with some of the best pitchers in the league in Webb, Peavy and etc...

Yeah, Webb was really killing him...

And there's nothing like facing Santana, Liriano, Verlander, Sabathia, Carmona, and soon some Millers to really help your BA.

Just saw the trade. Great deal for KW. I'm amazed the sox only gave up an A ball player, even if Carter has solid potential and power. Quentin has the hitting tools the sox need desperately.

And, the Sox could still upgrade in CF, and fill other holes such as the bullpen. Well done.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)

Joe has little value right now with:

1. Injury shortened 2007

2. Free Agent after 2008

3. Boras as an agent

Trading him will get little unless he is included in a package. That might work. Otherwise, Joe plays third and you either trade Fields and open the season with a huge health concern at 3B, or stunt Field's growth on the bench, in the minors, or at another position. If a PK trade happens and you keep Crede and Fields, you have to ask who your long-term solution at 3B is. I doubt it is Crede unless your team looks so awesome that you are certain you have a strong WS contender and keep Joe at third to guarantee the ring. I do not see that on the south side right now.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)

I'm struggling to figure out what excites people about Crisp and his career .329 OBP.

Two consecutive years batting in the .260's, with an OBP in the .320's, he gets benched in favor of a rookie during the playoffs, and we're supposed to give up WHAT for him?

Crisp's ceiling is as a 4th outfielder/platoon player. Period.

And as speed-guys go... he is a terrible baserunner... born without the "baserunning-clue" gene.

So, no thanks on Covelli.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(BearSox @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 05:37 PM)
Quentin has that arm and D to play RF, right

Yes, rates above average on all counts. He also makes tough plays look routine with great instincts, angles, and positioning. We'll be fine with this guy...he has oooodles of potential and has proven he can hit major league pitching in short stints. Last year was a wash because he was injured.

A winner of a deal, because we didn't have to part with pitching prospects for him.

One other thing I like about this deal? If Cabrera walks at the end of 08 or gets hurt this year, a healthy Quentin could be a solid option as a #2 hitter. Enough speed to score from 1st on a 2 out double and steal the occasional base, ridiculously high OBP, not a lot of strikeouts, right handed.

Edited by Balta1701