Sox Acquire Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter; DFA Heath Phillips

SoxFan1

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
No, it wouldn't be good at all. Owings is nothing special as a starter. I like the idea of getting Kotchman and one of the Angels starters much more.

On the CLTV Sports Round Table last night Bob Sokamato (sp?) predicted and and it was a pure guess------

Konerko for Weaver or Santana and Figgins again he was only guessing but I think he may have some decent insite if he was going to make a preditction.

I think Owings is really overrated and that deal I am not quite sure on as I think you should get better value for Konerko.....Orlando Hudson?

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
No, it wouldn't be good at all. Owings is nothing special as a starter. I like the idea of getting Kotchman and one of the Angels starters much more.

Jackson and Kotchman are pretty similar, but the Angels aren't going to give up one of their top young starters for Konerko if they won't even move them for Cabrera.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
Micah Owings in the AL is nothing more than a #5 starter, at best. He would have fit in with the old way of thinking with his blazing 89 mph fastball. Maybe we can make him a platoon partner with Richar?

Bite your tongue. He is the next Babe Ruth. 89 MPH and all that offensive prowess would be great to plug into RF once Thome leaves and Dye switches to DH.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
On the CLTV Sports Round Table last night Bob Sokamato (sp?) predicted and and it was a pure guess------

Konerko for Weaver or Santana and Figgins again he was only guessing but I think he may have some decent insite if he was going to make a preditction.

I think Owings is really overrated and that deal I am not quite sure on as I think you should get better value for Konerko.....Orlando Hudson?

Hudson is a big reason as to why Webb has had the success he's had. I've had Webb the past two years in fantasy baseball and God bless the MLB Package....I've been able to see almost every game. Webb has become a great pitcher, but it's no coincidence he's taken the next step with a 2B being able to take away ground ball base hits away to the right side like that. Right handers really can't inside-out Webb very much anymore.

As good as P-Ko is.....they wouldn't deal Hudson for him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
Micah Owings in the AL is nothing more than a #5 starter, at best. He would have fit in with the old way of thinking with his blazing 89 mph fastball. Maybe we can make him a platoon partner with Richar?

Totally agree on Owings... Thankfully, a team rumored to be shopping Quentin and Carlos Gonzalez for "young pitching" isn't going to move a young pitcher coming off a successful rookie campaign... (Though I'd be bearish on his ability to exceed that rookie season anytime soon)

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
Unless he is being part of a package for Cabrera. The Marlins might of wanted a young MLB ready OF not named Brian Anderson.

Marlins needs a center fielder, as they have great young corners in Hermida and Willingham.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)

i trade konerko for weaver yesterday....the fact that sakamoto (who really should just stick to high school sports) mentioned him in a trade is laughable

not sure why the hate for owings...no he doesn't throw 95 or even 92 for that matter, but for a guy who just turned 25, has a minor league record of 17-3 with a 3.14 ERA with a solid 167 K: 56 BB in 189 innings....and went 8-8 with a 4.30 (yes in the NL West though)......yeah hes 2.5 years older than danks, but im not convinced that hes that much less of a commodity right now than danks

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
not sure why the hate for owings...no he doesn't throw 95 or even 92 for that matter, but for a guy who just turned 25, has a minor league record of 17-3 with a 3.14 ERA with a solid 167 K: 56 BB in 189 innings....and went 8-8 with a 4.30 (yes in the NL West though)......yeah hes 2.5 years older than danks, but im not convinced that hes that much less of a commodity right now than danks

Owings has dramatically less value to us than to any team in the NL because he's basically like having a DH on days when he's starting. There's no reason why any sane AL team would give up enough to pry him away from an NL team when he's worth 1.5x as much to any NL team.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 09:03 PM)
1.Konerko and his 12 million a year until 2010.

2.To me, Jackson has his arrow pointing up, while Kong has his arrow pointing down.

3.The hip scares me.

4. Jacksons OPS in 2007-835, Konerko-841. A 6 point difference isn't worth 11 million to me.

5. That money can be spent on CF

6. If not, Financial flexibility for the future.

Fair enough, but I think Kotchman is going to be a better player than CoJack, and the Angels have some better pitchers to throw in.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
i trade konerko for weaver yesterday....the fact that sakamoto (who really should just stick to high school sports) mentioned him in a trade is laughable

We have 5 guys of Danks quality (Danks, Gio, Broadway, Egbert, Floyd) no real need to have 6.

Sorry about the dup thread, blackberry internet didn't show a thread yet. Weird.

I love this trade for us, we get a young talent who can walk for a player that won't contribute for years, and is basically a dh in waiting. Great deal, although I think kw is trying to flip him.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
We have 5 guys of Danks quality (Danks, Gio, Broadway, Egbert, Floyd) no real need to have 6.

I don't think there is anything wrong with adding another guy like that. All it does is give the coaching staff another option and another look this coming Spring.

With only having Javy and MB as strong holds in the rotation beyond next year...we're going to need all the options we can get.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)

danks was a top 50 prospect in baseball heading into this year....broadway egbert and floyd at this points in their careers are nowhere near sniffing the top 100 let alone top 50....even after struggling in the second half...danks value (at least what it would be on the trade market) is quite a bit higher than those guys mentioned not named gio....gio and danks have a chance to be #3 starters....those other guys project as #5s

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)

At this point, he's probably more of a commodity than Danks, but I'd sooner bet on Danks being a succesful pitcher for the White Sox... And I've expressed deep concerns about Danks' future as a big leaguer.

And in that right, if KW was smart enough to flip him right away, it would be a good acquisition. But counting on him to produce well in the AL Central isn't a smart decision.