Miguel Cabrera to the Tigers

fathom

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
He's got great sources.

And re: steroids -- I just don't see the league taking all that much action or the union allowing it.

Even without Sheffield for awhile, Detroit's offense is top-notch.

On this, there's always a possibility that MLB takes no action because there is an on-going criminal investigation from the Florida pharmacies. The players might have to testify and, in order to ensure that they are biased, won't be disciplined.

I'm not just making this up. A Major League Baseball attorney told my class as much. He also said he expected to see disciplinary action, but you never know.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
We'd have a couple of things in our favor though.

1 - Surely he'd put up better numbers at the Cell instead of Comerica. Would help in his HR chase of A-Rod someday.

2 - The relationship with Ozzie. The big plus for us.

Obviously it's going to cost a lot, but I think we'll have some big salaries coming off the books then.

I don't think Ozzie will matter. If the Sox suck he's not going to want to play here, and I'm doubtful the Sox will beat the Tigers. But that's years away.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:17 PM)
Well, you dont see it, but ESPN does. For now I will consider them a little closer to the situation, though you ARE closer to the Eisenhower.

Van Dyke also just said we are in on Jones. I fully expect us to take a run at him tonight.

Like I said -- even if MLB suspends people based on the Mitchell Report, it's not like the Tigers are f***ed without Gary.

And I don't know where you get whatever you're getting from Dyke, but Cowley sez:

White Sox brass is reeling today after their proposed deal for Florida third baseman Miguel Cabrera fell apart. Cabrera appears headed to Detroit. But Ken Williams said rumors that the Sox are in play for Andruw Jones are completely unfounded.

Weeks ago, Williams spoke about landing “the big fish’’ this winter, and the assumption was made that he was speaking of free agent outfielder Torii Hunter.

Williams confirmed that he had talks with Florida.

In a blockbuster deal that could have sent four or five Sox prospects to the Marlins, Williams would have gotten the 24-year-old Cabrera for a package of third baseman Josh Fields, starting pitcher Lance Broadway, and one of the lefty starters in either John Danks or Gio Gonzalez.

lol

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:31 PM)
Like I said -- even if MLB suspends people based on the Mitchell Report, it's not like the Tigers are f***ed without Gary.

And I don't know where you get whatever you're getting from Dyke, but Cowley sez:

lol

Dyke said it 5 min ago on chicago tribune live. He said they were never close, and looking at the "package" that Cowley presents, i agree with Van Dyke

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
Hopefully this shows Reinsdorf how to be an Owner, more than Williams how to GM

Frankly it should set off moves in 1 of two directions. They will either go for it all and spend a ton of money on Jones and another arm, or completely start the revamp period by dealing Konerko etc. Frankly I think the team may be set albeit two small deals. Good for 3rd place in the division.

Wow, with this deal, there are about 5 teams that are hands-down better than the Sox (two are in our own division). The Angels, Indians, Tigers, Yankees (especially with the possible acquisition of Santana), and Red Sox.

We really should have started to rebuild when we had the chance. Or, you know, made some serious moves this offseason.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:44 PM)
Wow, with this deal, there are about 5 teams that are hands-down better than the Sox (two are in our own division). The Angels, Indians, Tigers, Yankees (especially with the possible acquisition of Santana), and Red Sox.

We really should have started to rebuild when we had the chance. Or, you know, made some serious moves this offseason.

Yeah, I like the serious move to the NL

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:44 PM)

Gotta imagine that KW will look into moving PK to teams that lost out on Cabrera. Don't know if any move is really out there though.

As an FYI, my friends dad coached Maybin when he was a kid and projected the kid as a future star. He is only 20 years old and a great acquisition for the marlins.

And we can ALL thank UIC for producing Granderson which made Maybin expendable and brought about this trade. im going over to egg the campus later.

With Johan to the Sawx and Miggy to the Tigers, the National League should withdraw from the World Series. Frankly the Willis pickup doesn't do much for the Tigers but man oh man is Miggy a stud. Its too bad we have a bunch of 35 year olds because I'd be more than willing to accept rebuilding because the division is not looking too good for us now. Hell a rebuilding Minnesota might be better than us "going for it now" and thats even without Johan.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
Interesting that the Palm Beach Post guy hasn't posted on his blog since the "halls were buzzing...."

Who else could the Sox be targeting besides Fukudome/Jones/Rowand?

I think Crisp possibly, but I don't know of any other major offensive hitters the caliber of Cabrera on the market.

Maybe they change gears, and go after Haren or Bedard, but something tells me that they can't match the prospects other teams will be throwing up for those guys.