Telling note about Brian Anderson

scenario

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 07:22 AM)
Rick Hahn talked about Brian on the radio last week. Hahn said Anderson was recovering from a sternum injury which he apparantly sustained while rehabbing his wrist. Not sure how that works but whatever.

Guitar Hero, Rock band, or Dance Revolution

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether we like it or not...Anderson has a spot in this organization right now, in AAA starting in CF. Simply because; the White Sox are in no position to simply be giving away potentially valuable players (and yes, this applies to the guys we lost in the Rule 5 also).

Let's say that there is a 1/10 shot that Anderson still turns his career around and becomes a star. What exactly have the Sox got to lose by holding onto him in AAA until he's out of options? Maybe he catches fire, learns something, and either builds enough value for someone to give us at least some small token for him (heck, Quentin just brought the D-Backs our best power prospect after a season where he hit .215 due to injury).

I think you start this season with Anderson and Sweeney in AAA, Owens in CF, and keep giving them chances to perform. Because if they don't, what do we lose? Certainly doesn't make us any worse off than we are now.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
I don't think we are in a position to not give somebody, anybody, a shot that might help the team. Maybe BA has finally matured from a kid to a man. I don't know, but I wouldn't write him off because of the past.

You wouldn't. I wouldn't. Ozzie and KW just might.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 09:47 AM)
Well his agent could have left off the very unflattering "For the first time, Brian is approaching this like a professional."

Too little, too late.

If he left that part off, then it could be interpretted that he and Brian are not really sure why he has sucked so far. Since he is young and looking for a big time gig, its better to say he had some growing up to do versus:

"He is really working out this year to make sure his body is healthy and working on fixing the holes in his swing."

While neither is good, its better to have "attitude issues" versus "skill set issues" when you are young because someone will feel that its "all a part of growing up" or that a "change in scenery" will do him some good and perhaps trade for him and make him a starter.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
If he left that part off, then it could be interpretted that he and Brian are not really sure why he has sucked so far. Since he is young and looking for a big time gig, its better to say he had some growing up to do versus:

"He is really working out this year to make sure his body is healthy and working on fixing the holes in his swing."

While neither is good, its better to have "attitude issues" versus "skill set issues" when you are young because someone will feel that its "all a part of growing up" or that a "change in scenery" will do him some good and perhaps trade for him and make him a starter.

Every half ass scout knows BA has holes in his swing. Nobody is going to change their opinion based on what his agent says or doesn't say. The proof is in the pudding. We'll see in ST if the pudding is sweet or rancid.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
I think you start this season with Anderson and Sweeney in AAA, Owens in CF, and keep giving them chances to perform. Because if they don't, what do we lose? Certainly doesn't make us any worse off than we are now.

Why does Owens automatically get the job? We know who the better defender is (when healthy) and there's nothing to say Owens will be a better hitter than Anderson. I'd think if it really came down to it, Ozzie could find a good amount of at-bats for both at the major league level, especially with Quentin in LF.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)
Every half ass scout knows BA has holes in his swing. Nobody is going to change their opinion based on what his agent says or doesn't say. The proof is in the pudding. We'll see in ST if the pudding is sweet or rancid.

I agree wholeheartedly and was originally just saying that this is PR BS from his agent. Saying something provocative like my guy has finally seen the light and taking this seriously now is a means to say that he will now be the stud everyone expected.

I just think that they are taking a proactive approach to addressing BA's "issues" but I don't think this is the biggest issue (the holes in the swing are). The only odd thing the agent said in my mind was that he didn't want to go hit in the Mexican league and face pitchers that had tough breaking balls. Does he think the majors are like hitting off a tee? Whatever, we will find out soon enough.

I think his agent was smart in his comments about approaching the job like a professional, not going out at night, etc.

The perception is already out there that he is a partier. That cat is already out of the bag.

The PR spin of "he's taking it seriously" etc., will cause teams to give him another look, when they may have discounted him. Including the WhiteSox.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 10:00 AM)
Why does Owens automatically get the job? We know who the better defender is (when healthy) and there's nothing to say Owens will be a better hitter than Anderson. I'd think if it really came down to it, Ozzie could find a good amount of at-bats for both at the major league level, especially with Quentin in LF.

Quite simply, Owens has shown me more of an ability to hit major league pitching than Anderson. Anderson has performed pretty well the last 2 ST's, but even in a full season in 06 he couldn't get to the point Owens was last year. And on top of that, Anderson has had major health issues in the last year.

What I want before I even give BA a shot to reach the big league squad again (And this is actually coming from one of his usual supporters) is at least a full, healthy, productive month in AAA. At least I want to see that he's healthy and he's back where he was at the end of 2005 before he gets a shot again, and I want him getting AB's for a full month before I say that.

BA has talent. He's by far the best defensive CF in the White Sox system. In July and August of 2006 he hit .310. He hit .257 after the ASB in 2006. He wasn't just playing in meaningless games. He wasn't given much of an opportunity in 2007, just like if the White Sox were in contention after the first couple of months of 2007, Owens, and Richar wouldn't have had an opportunity. I wouldn't give up on him, he has holes in his swing, but so does everyone.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
BA has talent. He's by far the best defensive CF in the White Sox system. In July and August of 2006 he hit .310. He hit .257 after the ASB in 2006. He wasn't just playing in meaningless games. He wasn't given much of an opportunity in 2007, just like if the White Sox were in contention after the first couple of months of 2007, Owens, and Richar wouldn't have had an opportunity. I wouldn't give up on him, he has holes in his swing, but so does everyone.

So according to the Dick Allen school of statistics... looking at Anderson's 2 strong months and ignoring his 3 bad ones is OK, but looking at Owens' 2 good months over his 2 bad ones is not?

And for the record, I don't think you give up on Anderson talent-wise. I think he needs to show some respect for the game, and for the fact that he'll actually need to work at it to be good at this level. If he can do that, then sure, give him a shot if/when he's the right guy for the job.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
Oh I have a feeling that there will plenty of people obsessing about everyone of their moves and non-moves for some reason...

I'm not talking about that. Ozzie is pretty immature himself, and Kenny's quotes made him look like a spoiled brat who didn't get his way so he complained about the media. The same guy who constantly stated earlier he would be after every player who may improve the team, b****es about the media and other teams reporting when he is doing just that, and when he falls short, its their fault, not that he misread the market and really didn't have a shot unless he wanted to drastically overpay.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
I'm not talking about that. Ozzie is pretty immature himself, and Kenny's quotes made him look like a spoiled brat who didn't get his way so he complained about the media. The same guy who constantly stated earlier he would be after every player who may improve the team, b****es about the media and other teams reporting when he is doing just that, and when he falls short, its their fault, not that he misread the market and really didn't have a shot unless he wanted to drastically overpay.

Yeah its not like his boss fired the guy who won his other franchise six world titles or something...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 02:38 PM)
Yeah its not like his boss fired the guy who won his other franchise six world titles or something...

Look what it took to get him to "resign". It was the worst 3 or 4 or 5 year stretch by any team in NBA history. I would just have a problem with Kenny or Ozzie telling someone they need to grow up, when the reality is they also need to grow up. Actually, Kenny likes BA very much as a player, Ozzie could do without him.

QUOTE(scenario @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
From a Trib story tonight...

"For the first time, Brian is approaching this like a professional. He works out twice a day and doesn't go out at night. He's working with a top professional trainer and with a nutritionist. He's very focused."[/i]

Interesting 'confession' by an agent.

I agree, that is a very telling point for all of those who think he got screwed by the sox last season. Ozzie hinted at his partying and lack of focus, if you recall. And got ripped for it, of course.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
So according to the Dick Allen school of statistics... looking at Anderson's 2 strong months and ignoring his 3 bad ones is OK, but looking at Owens' 2 good months over his 2 bad ones is not?

And for the record, I don't think you give up on Anderson talent-wise. I think he needs to show some respect for the game, and for the fact that he'll actually need to work at it to be good at this level. If he can do that, then sure, give him a shot if/when he's the right guy for the job.

My problem with that is it doesn't make owens seem like a better choice unless he somehow got a competant arm.

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
My problem with that is it doesn't make owens seem like a better choice unless he somehow got a competant arm.

It remains my contention that yes, BA has a clearly higher ceiling than JO. However, I also contend that the best way for BA to reach that ceiling, if he ever does, is to start off this season getting regular at bats. He missed so much time last year, he'll need that just to get re-adapted to facing live pitching. He has 2 different tasks; learn to fix his swing issues, and learn how to hit against live pitching again. I think his best chance to do that is to start off playing every day at AAA. He comes out and finds that AAA level form we saw in 05, then maybe we work him in during the season and see if he can't succeed on this attempt. But there's no reason to throw him into the fire yet.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 08:31 PM)
Oh I have a feeling that there will plenty of people obsessing about everyone of their moves and non-moves for some reason...

I love the half-assed veiled shots at certain posters here.

Of course we're going to obsess over their moves -- it's a message board, what are we supposed to do? Kenny told has repeatedly told us fans that we're going to compete in 2008. If he were more reasonable and said something like, "We're going to do our best to compete in 2008 without sacrificing our long-term chances in 2009 and beyond", people would be more reasonable and level-headed with him. But instead he's been making stupid comment after stupid comment the whole winter -- "‘‘All this has done is put the Tigers in a better position to contend with us.’’ If I was a reporter there I would've burst out laughing right in his face.